Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canadian moving to Ireland

• 07-10-2012 7:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43

Hello Everyone!

Wasn't too sure where to post this. I am looking to move to Ireland in the next year or two. It is quite possible you already have threads like this one but I like fresh responses instead of perusing through old stuff.

I am having a hard time figuring out where I want to live. I have a few places in mind but would appreciate any input on the matter of good places to live and where I might find information on starting my paperwork that I will need to have in the near future to move there.

Thanks. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

Hello Everyone!

Wasn't too sure where to post this. I am looking to move to Ireland in the next year or two. It is quite possible you already have threads like this one but I like fresh responses instead of perusing through old stuff.

I am having a hard time figuring out where I want to live. I have a few places in mind but would appreciate any input on the matter of good places to live and where I might find information on starting my paperwork that I will need to have in the near future to move there.

Thanks. :D

Are. You. MAD??? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

....and job experience but work is very scarce in Ireland at the moment. I do not know if you can get a bank loan in canada for use in Ireland but probably not and unless you have about €150,000 to €200,000 cash to spare you may find it hard to get a loan in Ireland as the banks have stopped lending money.

If however you have the right qualifications there maybe be work but as far as I know the Public service and Health sectors are not hiring and practically all the education sector is cutting back.

There may be some work in IT, Science or Engineering as these are not strong areas in Ireland and we usually have to get people in from abroad to fill the top roles but many people are leaving Ireland, unable to get work, mostly young people with little or no relevant experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

You're going the wrong way !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 FireFoxglove

Well, it will not be for another year or two until I move there. I imagine things will be a little better by then. But the place I am living right now has the highest unemployment rate in Canada and I had no trouble finding any jobs here. So I am not at all worried about finding work.

Haha, I am not going the wrong way. I have been waiting my whole life for this moment. :D

How do you define young people? Fresh out of high school or fresh out of college or something else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

So I am not at all worried about finding work.

Mate, there isnt any jobs to find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

Don't do it!

...But if you do, I'd prefer the West or South.

Haha. Well, hindsight is always 20/20. Never post in a place looking for positive feedback when most people here want to leave their country, lmao. :p

I have recently searched your job boards. There are tons of jobs I am qualified for and your job market is way better than where I currently live. So I guess it all depends on what kind of job you want/need/are qualified for.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Petey89

only place you might find work is dublin and depending on the job your wages might just cover your rent possibly its extremely expensive, ireland is not a place people go to find work most young people here are leaving there is nothing here its pretty depressing when you cant find work, im 23 and have been unemployed for nearly 2 years, i apply for any job thats available and never hear anything back mostly back doing courses to help me get work but still no joy, if i had money i would be gone to oz or somewhere that actualy has work. my advice come here as a holiday maybe but dont come over expecting to get work bacause it probably not guna happen unless you have some sort of degree or qualification that might help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Well, it will not be for another year or two until I move there. I imagine things will be a little better by then. But the place I am living right now has the highest unemployment rate in Canada and I had no trouble finding any jobs here. So I am not at all worried about finding work.

Haha, I am not going the wrong way. I have been waiting my whole life for this moment. :D

How do you define young people? Fresh out of high school or fresh out of college or something else?

jesus dont move to ireland. bloody hell

move somewhere else in canada

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Haha. Well, hindsight is always 20/20. Never post in a place looking for positive feedback when most people here want to leave their country, lmao. :p

I have recently searched your job boards. There are tons of jobs I am qualified for and your job market is way better than where I currently live. So I guess it all depends on what kind of job you want/need/are qualified for.

Go to London mate. Not Ireland at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

What do you work at OP?

Moving here may be a huge mistake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Alright everyone relax! The OP has said he's looked at the vacancies here and there's lots of jobs he's qualified for so can everyone stop repeating the same lines about there being no jobs. There are plenty of jobs in the IT sector for example. I'm sure the OP is capable enough to judge for himself whether he'll be able to get a job here or not.

OP you said you have a few places in mind of where you want to live. What are they?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭reeb

You posted this in a forum full of bitter expats, probably a bad move. There is plenty of work for professionally qualified people and grafters in Ireland, with decent money and far better perks than youll be used to in Canada. Ireland is a fantastically liveable country (nearly as liveable as Canada in fact!). Ive been living there one year on, one year off for the last eight and every time I go back I just love it more and more. All the stuff people take for granted there will blow you away, the pub culture for one. Walking down Thomas Street through the foggy dew of a Thursday to meet your mate for a quiet pint, it has to be lived to be believed.

Dublin is where its at for work and urban lifestyle, with honourable mentions to Cork, Galway and Belfast. Its consistently rated one of the top cities in the world, despite all the bitter lemons on the Internet. If you can get work and live more rural its like a whole other country, equally as charming but in a totally different way.

Having lived in Canada myself, Irish and Canadians get on very well, you will have an absolute ball mate and people in Ireland will be delighted to meet you. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 eim

Don't mind all the negative people on here. Ireland is not the worst place to live. Irish people are lazy. I'm 24 from Dublin, I've never ever been unemployed and as soon as I send out a batch of resumes, I get called back for nearly everyone. The recession is far worse in Spain and Greece. The only thing is you'll probably have to live in Dublin. Dublins great. You'll love it. The rent isn't that high. You can always share with people. Would you consider London? That would be expensive though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭gifted

eim wrote: »
    Don't mind all the negative people on here. Ireland is not the worst place to live. Irish people are lazy. I'm 24 from Dublin, I've never ever been unemployed and as soon as I send out a batch of resumes, I get called back for nearly everyone. The recession is far worse in Spain and Greece. The only thing is you'll probably have to live in Dublin. Dublins great. You'll love it. The rent isn't that high. You can always share with people. Would you consider London? That would be expensive though.

Lucky you..any kids?...married???...mortgage????...childcare fees???...health insurance???...How long are you working???..This country isn't goimg down the drain..it's gone way beyond that..:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭reeb

gifted wrote: »
    Lucky you..any kids?...married???...mortgage????...childcare fees???...health insurance???...How long are you working???..This country isn't goimg down the drain..it's gone way beyond that..:mad:

Do you think the OP has a bunch of kids and a moaning wife and a bunch of bills and a millstone mortgage around his neck? The chap is asking for advice on moving to Ireland, people who move country are excited about it, why not give us all a break from the obnoxious negativity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 star_light

Haha, I am not going the wrong way. I have been waiting my whole life for this moment.:D

Do it if its your dream!! depends what your qualifications are but there are some jobs. The west is beautiful, Galway in particular (Biased) :) Wish you the best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

You're not that Canadian searching for his Irish Coleen are you?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-19685982

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

the irish and ireland is a great place to live,i myself love the east coast [garden of ireland] but getting work could well be a problem,expect to be taken for a american tourist as they think everyone with a north atlantic accent is a yank,recently i have noticed a slight backlash against foreign workers,that will change as the job situation improves,going to london also could be a big let down,because its so expensive,northern england could be the best option, lancashire maybe as its only a quick ferry/plane ride accross to ireland,as the lankies are very much from irish stock,laid back and friendly and there is still plenty of work available in IT

Lucky you..any kids?...married???...mortgage????...childcare fees???...health insurance???...How long are you working???..This country isn't goimg down the drain..it's gone way beyond that..:mad:[/Quote]

No I'm not lucky, I just have a positive outlook on life and I work extremely hard. I come from a council estate, my family are working class and I went to a public school. Too many people use these excuses for reasons not to work. you're making a show of this country with your bad attitude. Dublin is amazing! If he works in IT he could look for a job within google or Facebook both of which are located in Dublin.

• Advertisement

Do you think the OP has a bunch of kids and a moaning wife and a bunch of bills and a millstone mortgage around his neck? The chap is asking for advice on moving to Ireland, people who move country are excited about it, why not give us all a break from the obnoxious negativity.[/Quote]

This is the one thing I can't stand about Irish people, they're so moany. They take everything for granted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

*** OK let's get back to giving the OP constructive advice on moving and Ireland please. If you want to moan about Ireland, there are other forums for that. ***

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

I'm guessing you're not Irish so or by your logic you'd be one of those lazy Irish aswell. Genius :eek: Please get over yourself lazy people will always be lazy regardless of nationality. Just as assholes will always be assholes it is what it is.

Now you carry on working oh so hard there and carrying this country be careful you don't hurt your back that's be a shame.

OP Sure come on over you'll have a bit of craic meet some great people and inevitably get wet.

If you're lucky enough you'll pick up a job but don't be expecting to pick up a run of the mill minimum wage job as we've plenty of eastern Europeans filling those posts and word of mouth between them seems to secure openings in the companies they work for. Not to mention most of them are hard working and have a reputation for being reliable although their are the few who get pissed on building sitea and need to be carried off(witnessed myself calm down) but most of those have gone now the construction sector has collapsed.

The bar sector you'll pick up some casual work but being a bar man these days isn't what it once was most places particularly in Dublin want qualifications and experience.

There's plenty of jobs in the science/pharma sector as little to none of the folks over here excel in that field most jobs are filled with foreign highly skilled workers.

Anyway there are jobs but you'll really need to stand out from the crowd on your cv just to get an interview.

Good Luck to you and at worst you waste a plane fare and have a great holiday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

plenty of IT jobs going all over the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

OP I assume you have a right to enter and work in ireland without permission, in that you hold or can hold an Irish or other EU Passport.

If you don't then it's going to be a pain getting a permission to work.

johnnykilo wrote: »
    Alright everyone relax! The OP has said he's looked at the vacancies here and there's lots of jobs he's qualified for so can everyone stop repeating the same lines about there being no jobs. There are plenty of jobs in the IT sector for example. I'm sure the OP is capable enough to judge for himself whether he'll be able to get a job here or not.

OP you said you have a few places in mind of where you want to live. What are they?

She. Not he. For the record. :p

But thank you!

I was thinking somewhere in Meath and commuting to Dublin. Not a fan of touristy spots or loads of people.

I do administrative work and have lots of experience in other things. And there are loads of jobs in office or administrative work that I qualify for over in Dublin. A lot more to choose from than over here I have to say.

My heart is set on Ireland. There is no swaying there, haha.

reeb wrote: »
    Do you think the OP has a bunch of kids and a moaning wife and a bunch of bills and a millstone mortgage around his neck? The chap is asking for advice on moving to Ireland, people who move country are excited about it, why not give us all a break from the obnoxious negativity.

Why does everyone think I am a dude? Haha.

No kids, do not want them. No moaning husband, haha.

I am super stoked to be moving countries. It will be the grandest adventure! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

And there are loads of jobs in office or administrative work that I qualify for over in Dublin. A lot more to choose from than over here I have to say.
    It's already been mentioned earlier, but depending on your immigration status you might have problems obtaining a labour market need & work permit. Straight off I can tell you that Clerical and administrative staff are ineligible for work permits.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/migrant_workers/employment_permits/work_permits.html

http://www.djei.ie/labour/workpermits/revisedworkpermitarrangements%20-%20june%202009.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Depends on what your interested in

Also like its not just a case of high unemployment, its a case of no employment whatsoever

also you dont wanna move here and the only job you can get is in the local chipper cooking a bahered hasage and a curry burger with cheese onions and burger sauce and have some lad in the horrors roaring at you for being 'american'

Advertisement