Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canadian moving to Ireland

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭reeb

It's already been mentioned earlier, but depending on your immigration status you might have problems obtaining a labour market need & work permit. Straight off I can tell you that Clerical and administrative staff are ineligible for work permits.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/migrant_workers/employment_permits/work_permits.html

http://www.djei.ie/labour/workpermits/revisedworkpermitarrangements%20-%20june%202009.htm
    What are you talking about? The IEC visa is an exchange visa with Canada, Canadians are entitled to apply to Irelands version the same as 90% of people on this forum applied to Canadas no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

reeb wrote: »
    What are you talking about? The IEC visa is an exchange visa with Canada, Canadians are entitled to apply to Irelands version the same as 90% of people on this forum applied to Canadas no?
    What I'm talking about is contained in the links I posted.

You seem to be referring to SWAP. The OP has stated clearly that she wants to move to Ireland! Nowhere has she stated (here or in her posts in other threads) that she only plans coming over to work & travel for a year.

What are you talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Pauvre Con

It isn't about being negative - it's about trying to give the OP a good picture of Ireland as it is today. The problem is that it's all a matter of perspective. Some people will have done just fine for themselves since the western world took a nosedive the last few years and wonder what all the fuss is about. Others have skills that are highly valued. However I think there's enough evidence to suggest that yes, it is a tough time to be looking for a job. Personally I've applied for an awful lot of positions this year without too much success - and compared with working in other markets on the continent and in the UK of which I have experience and i can vouch that it's way way harder here. Tbh, I've kind of given up working here now and will probably have to head back overseas for a bit to my old job to save some pennies. And yes, I've years of experience and qualifications to boot.

Without being rude...office admin doesn't really strike me as over skilled/specialized - I can't believe there's going to be skills shortage in this country for such labour so I would have thought the OP would need a something a bit more in their CV....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 FireFoxglove

I never said that was all of my job qualifications. Just what I am currently doing for work. And nobody here knows my schooling or other past job experience. And you know what, I would have no problem cooking burgers or whatnot, it would be my first job in a new country so I'm not going to be picky.

But nonetheless I appreciate the opinions of everyone here. I get that you are experiencing hard times, but it's still not going to stop me from moving there. So I think I am done with this thread because everyone keeps repeating the same thing so there's no point in me staying on this thread. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Ken bryan

The best place to live is Cork . West Cork . then Galway / South Dublin NB Not tallaght .
    The Cork is Great but Clanish . So getting a Job may be hard .
    Galway is Fantasic . But the weather is not so great . People are open and freindly .
    South Dubin is lovely . But People are not as friendly as people from North Dublin .
    If have any language skills apply to Ebay . Google . Etc . You will get a Job alot easyier .
    As most Irish people only speack Irish and English .
    The Good thing is air travell is cheap . Fly with eirlingus where possible . As they fly to the main airports in the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

OP, it all depends on the area of work you are in.
    I'm a software engineer and worked in a company straight after college and recently got let go after 3 years, but I got a job again within 2 weeks. IT is fairly strong in Ireland still! Construction and trade work is not however.

I live in Limerick and it's not too bad, Dublin would have a better range of activities to do, and Galway would be alright too I guess, but as someone who wants to move to Canada after visiting Toronto, I think you are stone mad coming here! :D

Advertisement