Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United vs Man Utd (4:00pm) sky sports

• 07-10-2012 10:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭

A very tough game to bounce back over Tottenham last weekend. Didn't play too bad vs cluj, but iv no idea what to expect today. I wouldn't mind a similar line up as the one vs cluj. As we all know we got played off the park here last season.

Prediction : 3-1 man united win

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Newcastle's Papiss Cissé seeks inspiration against Manchester United

Papiss-Ciss--008.jpg
    Photograph: Russell Cheyne/Reuters
    "For 90 minutes on Sunday life in Sédhiou, southern Senegal will be placed on pause. Papiss Cissé, the town's most famous son, is expected to lead Newcastle United's attack at home to Manchester United and his every touch will be cheered.

People in Sédhiou remember Cissé as a 15-year-old, whose first job was driving an ambulance. It explains why the striker sends a significant percentage of his wages back home. Cissé has already bought the local hospital a new ambulance and x-ray machines and is funding the purchase of further medical equipment as well as the building of an education centre and a mosque.

The 27-year-old is motivated by the memories of Sédhiou's hospital being so primitive that he regularly had to drive patients 188 miles to Dakar, Senegal's capital, only for several to die en route."

Louise Taylor
    guardian.co.uk, Sunday 7 October 2012 00.46 BST

Sir Alex Ferguson ponders happy dilemma before Newcastle United game

Van-Persie-and-Rooney-008.jpg
    Photograph: Matthew Peters/Man Utd via Getty Images
    "Whenever Manchester United lose a league game, interest in the following fixture is always heightened, because this is a club with a reputation for bouncing back – and to lose two games in succession would almost amount to a crisis.

That might sound faintly ridiculous, but it is a philosophy that is actively promoted within the club itself. "When we lose a game, we have to recover," Sir Alex Ferguson said before Sunday's visit to Newcastle, clearly spelling out the message that improvement will be demanded after last weekend's 3-2 home defeat by Tottenham. "Newcastle is always a difficult place to play, but, at the moment, we have real strength in our attacking options."

Newcastle was in fact the last English ground at which United suffered back-to-back league defeats, going down 3-0 last season after an even more surprising 2-3 defeat by Blackburn at home, on New Year's Eve."

Paul Wilson
    The Observer, Saturday 6 October 2012 23.00 BST

Last 6:

Newcastle vs. Bordeaux W - 3:0
    Reading vs. Newcastle D - 2:2
    Man Utd vs. Newcastle L - 2:1
    Newcastle vs. Norwich W - 1:0
    Maritimo vs. Newcastle D - 0:0
    Everton vs. Newcastle D - 2:2

Cluj vs. Man Utd W - 1:2
    Man Utd vs. Tottenham L - 2:3
    Man Utd vs. Newcastle W - 2:1
    Liverpool vs. Man Utd W - 1:2
    Man Utd vs. Galatasaray W - 1:0
    Man Utd vs. Wigan W - 4:0

Head to Head:

04/01/2012 Premier League Newcastle vs. Man Utd 3:0
    19/04/2011 Premier League Newcastle vs. Man Utd 0:0
    04/03/2009 Premier League Newcastle vs. Man Utd 1:2
    23/02/2008 Premier League Newcastle vs. Man Utd 1:5
    01/01/2007 Premier League Newcastle vs. Man Utd 2:2
    28/08/2005 Premier League Newcastle vs. Man Utd 0:2
    14/11/2004 Premier League Newcastle vs. Man Utd 1:3
    23/08/2003 Premier League Newcastle vs. Man Utd 1:2
    12/04/2003 Premier League Newcastle vs. Man Utd 2:6
    15/09/2001 Premier League Newcastle vs. Man Utd 4:3
    30/12/2000 Premier League Newcastle vs. Man Utd 1:1
    12/02/2000 Premier League Newcastle vs. Man Utd 3:0
    13/03/1999 Premier League Newcastle vs. Man Utd 1:2
    21/12/1997 Premier League Newcastle vs. Man Utd 0:1
    20/10/1996 Premier League Newcastle vs. Man Utd 5:0
    04/03/1996 Premier League Newcastle vs. Man Utd 0:1
    15/01/1995 Premier League Newcastle vs. Man Utd 1:1
    11/12/1993 Premier League Newcastle vs. Man Utd 1:1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Expecting a draw here unless a Rooney/Van Persie inspired attack can get United three points.

The selection in midfield will be key. Giggs or Carrick again partnered without the energy of Anderson or Cleverley and I can see us being over run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Whoever Fergie picks in midfield will have a huge bearing on the game.

With no Vlalencia and Young available, I'd love to see Utd play with a narrow three in the middle, like they have done in the cups games. Anderson Cleverely and Carrick would be my current pick. Would love to have Fletcher in there but I still think he has a way to go to get back to near his best.

I do think Fergie will go with two in the middle though and most likely Carrick and Scholes. All throw in the Evra factor and I can't be confident at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

If Giggs starts I'll punch someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

I'm hoping we line out like this.

Harper
    Simpson --- Perch --- Willo --- Santon

Ben Arfa---Tiote --- Cabaye --- Jonas

Ameobi -- Ba---

Probably will get crucified for this but i think Cisse should be left out and give Ameobi a chance,he impressed me on thursday night and if we are to go direct like we did in January against united when we won 3-0, shola should complement Ba well with some knock downs.If Cabaye and Tiote are up for this one, then there's no reason why we can't get a result again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

"we have real strength in our attacking options."

What about our defence? That's where our problems lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

IvySlayer wrote: »

I'l allow you to punch me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

I want to see four thIngs from United in this game which I believe will see us winning this one after a defeat to Spurs.

1. Three players in midfield so we can control it rather than being overrun.

2. Cleverley and Anderson to be given a bit of trust to step up after some decent performances in CL/Cups.

3. Giggs not in the matchday squad never mind starting.

4. Bring back Big Dave, he has Had a few good games after being dropped for one mistake. It could kill his confidence altogether if he continues to be dropped for the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

IvySlayer wrote: »

If Manchester United don't win this I'll punch someone! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to predict our performance based entirely on the lineup Fergie puts out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

So if Newcastle win we could all meet up somewhere and have a good old fashioned punch up yea?

PHB wrote: »
    I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to predict our performance based entirely on the lineup Fergie puts out.

Are you basically saying,

Giggs- Loss.

Without Giggs- Win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

United to win 4-0 Giggs and Evra with couple each.

On little more serious note I do think Man United will win. 2-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

VW 1 wrote: »
    I want to see four thIngs from United in this game which I believe will see us winning this one after a defeat to Spurs.

1. Three players in midfield so we can control it rather than being overrun.

2. Cleverley and Anderson to be given a bit of trust to step up after some decent performances in CL/Cups.

3. Giggs not in the matchday squad never mind starting.

4. Bring back Big Dave, he has Had a few good games after being dropped for one mistake. It could kill his confidence altogether if he continues to be dropped for the league

Not even de gea could do anything with some of the goals cisse and ba come up with at times :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

double GG wrote: »
    Are you basically saying,

Giggs- Loss.

Without Giggs- Win.

I'd go with:

0 midfield players over 30 - Win

1 midfield player over 30 - Win/Draw

2 midfield Players over 30 - Lose/Draw

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

What I want to see, 433/451...
    De Gea
    Rafael Rio Evans Buttner
    Carrick Anderson Fletcher
    Rooney Kagawa
    v.Persie

Not a lot of width but we need to control the centre, hopefully bag a goal or two. But if things aren't going too well we still have the likes of Valencia/Nani/Scholes etc.

BTW I don't think there's any chance in hell that we see this line up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Newcastle have one of the best centre-midfields around, I think it would be too much for Fletcher to handle at this stage in his recovery. I'll be happy if Buttner starts and Giggs is left on the bench.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I don't think there's any chance of Fletcher starting because he played a full 90 during the week, but I think he has the legs for this kind of game more so than Scholes.

If he didn't play midweek, I'd start him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Should be a good game. I can see Newcastle take the lead but Utd come back for 2-1 win.

United to unleash a potent strike force

775662402.jpg

"Sir Alex Ferguson has been putting his two superstars through their paces on the training ground, with particular emphasis put on the tactical side of their new partnership.

They are expected to start a Premier League game together for the first time at Newcastle on Sunday after linking well in United’s 2-1 Champions League win at Cluj on Tuesday, when Rooney set up both goals for his Dutch teammate.

And Van Persie, who has scored seven goals already this season, has also been voluntarily undertaking extra training sessions to improve his fitness after missing pre-season while his protracted £24million move from Arsenal to United was being finalised."

"Ferguson is excited by the possibilities of having two such versatile players, with each one capable of playing as the furthest man forward, or as a second striker.

“There is a tactical part to the kind of training we do, and Rooney and Van Persie have to include themselves in that, without doubt,” he said. “All the players get coached every day.

“We’ve had a lot of players who are naturally gifted in terms of movement and ability – Giggs, Scholes, Cantona , Ronaldo.

“But players and tactics can be manufactured as well. I don’t think there is anything wrong with that if you reach high levels through the coaching you give the players.”"

"United’s injury crisis in defence means Ferguson’s back four will pick itself at Newcastle, although he hopes Chris Smalling will be back to provide competition for Rio Ferdinand and Jonny Evans after the forthcoming international break.

But the manager faces a huge selection problem in midfield as he is desperate to find a place for Japan international Shinji Kagawa, who has impressed this season and was rested for the Cluj victory.

Michael Carrick, Anderson, Ryan Giggs, Nani, Tom Cleverley, Darren Fletcher and Paul Scholes are also vying for midfield places while Welbeck and Hernandez cannot be guaranteed a place on the bench.

“I think I know my team but it’s difficult,” admitted Ferguson."

http://www.iol.co.za
    October 7 2012 at 12:46pm
    By Joe Berstein

• Advertisement

Pardew expects entertainment as Newcastle host Manchester United
    "The Magpies go into the game without their first-choice goalkeeper Tim Krul, who is still ruled out through injury, as are their captain, Fabricio Coloccini, and fellow centre-back Steven Taylor.

But Pardew recognises that United's defence will not be at full strength either, telling reporters: "Manchester United have had defensive issues and they've got injuries in that area, with [Nemanja] Vidic and [Phil] Jones.

"You cannot imagine it's going to be 0-0.

"I'm sure Sir Alex Ferguson will have worked on his back four, as we have, to make sure they are as drilled as possible.

"But with such brilliant flair players on the pitch as [Wayne] Rooney, Chicharito, [Robin] van Persie, Demba Ba, Papiss [Cisse] and [Hatem] Ben Arfa, you can't expect it to be anything but an entertaining game.""

http://www.goal.com
    7 Oct 2012 11:16:00
    By Matt Davis

Ferguson expecting No. 1 to step forward

daviddegeaandanderslindegaardmanutd20120119_275x155.jpg
    GettyImages
    SAF: "David was excellent," Ferguson said. "He's an outstanding goalkeeper who is getting better all the time. I don't know whether I should play him on Sunday or not. The way we've been doing it in the last few weeks has worked quite well for us really.

"I think everybody wants to play and goalkeepers are no different. But the way I look at it, at the moment, is giving the two of them experience will help them in the long term.

"Obviously, at some stage, one of them will take over if he shows real consistency, top-level performance and maturity. At the moment, neither has got that big-game experience but they will get that in time."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com
    October 7, 2012
    By Richard Jolly

Chopping and changing keepers with an already injury hit defence is just madness.

Pick one (De Gea) and fuucking stick with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Utd should start this match with the same mid/strikers that played the second half bra spurs.

What was it? Carrick, Scholes, Kagawa, Nani, Rooney, RVP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Will settle for another 3-0 win :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

RVP to get a couple,Newcastle to get a couple.Rooney with the winner.

3-2 to Manchester United.

Expected formation: 4 0 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

5-0 NUFC.

Ben Arfa to lob the keeper with a delicate chip as well.
    Ba & Cissé to grab two each..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

4-2-1-3

de gea
    raf rio evans buttner

carrick ando/fletch

roo

nani rvp kag

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

Doocey wrote: »
    5-0 NUFC.

Ben Arfa to lob the keeper with a delicate chip as well.
    Ba & Cissé to grab two each..

I was watching the 5-0 from 96/97 on ESPN classics the other night.

Philippe Albert's chip :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Newcastle to go 2 up with an hour gone.

81st minute RVP equalises.
    84th minute RVP scores a dodgy penalty.
    96th minute of 2 minutes of injury time: Bebe scores a Macheddaaaaa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Is this on Sky Sports lads? What time does it start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Is this on Sky Sports lads? What time does it start?

4pm sky sports 1

Fairly sickened I won't get to see this. Might catch the second half in the airport if somewhere has it on.

I'll go for a 2-2. (Ba, Ben Arfa) (Van Persie, Webb)

A. Lindegaard
    Rafael
    J. Evans
    R. Ferdinand
    P. Evra
    M. Carrick
    P. Scholes
    Nani
    S. Kagawa
    W. Rooney
    R. van Persie

Source: Eurosport

zerks wrote: »
    A. Lindegaard
    Rafael
    J. Evans
    R. Ferdinand
    P. Evra
    M. Carrick
    P. Scholes
    Nani
    S. Kagawa
    W. Rooney
    R. van Persie

Source: Eurosport

Wouldn't be at all surprised if that is the team but hopefully not.

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    Wouldn't be at all surprised if that is the team but hopefully not.

It needs Giggs anchoring the midfield:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

#NUFC (4-4-2) v #MUFC: Harper; Santon, Williamson, Perch, Ferguson; Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Tiote, Gutierrez (c); Ba, Cisse. #epl #newcastle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭R019912

Baffles me how everyone else but Fergie can see how awful Evra has been for two seasons straight! Buttner deserves to start.

Santon and Ben Arfa attacking down the right. Jesus, that's a very attacking lineup. Really worried looking at our two central defenders.

We should be scoring 2-3 against that defence Newcastle have out. Question is how many concede. I'm going for a 2-1 win for United.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Jax Teller wrote: »
    #NUFC (4-4-2) v #MUFC: Harper; Santon, Williamson, Perch, Ferguson; Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Tiote, Gutierrez (c); Ba, Cisse. #epl #newcastle

That back four is absolutely atrocious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

De Gea in goal

De Gea, Rafael, Ferdinand, Evans, Evra, Carrick, Cleverley, Welbeck, Kagawa, Rooney, Van Persie

Happy enough with that tbh..

Randomers on twitter say De Gea starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

De gea starting according to mutv. Full team to follow

@manutdreserves: United line up; De Gea, Rafael, Ferdinand, Evans, Evra, Carrick, Cleverley, Welbeck, Rooney, Kagawa, Van Persie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

MUTV say DDG in goals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

#MUFC XI: De Gea, Rafael, Ferdinand, Evans, Evra, Welbeck, Carrick, Cleverley, Kagawa, Rooney, van Persie

De Gea, Rafael, Ferdinand, Evans, Evra, Carrick, Cleverley, Welbeck, Rooney, Kagawa, Van Persie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

Evra :(

@ManUtdStuff: United Subs: Lindegaard, Scholes, Valencia, Anderson, Giggs, Hernandez & Wootton.

• Advertisement
Advertisement