Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank Card Skimmed Drogheda

Options
  • 07-10-2012 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

Just had my entire bank balance taken out, rang the bank and they said they have had a lot of complaints about people from drogehda being skimmed at a certain machine so must have been this one. Dont know if I can name which one it is here. I used it on Thursday morning and got my money taken yesterday:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

Feck, name it anyway, can be edited later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

It was the aib machine out side staffords shop up in bryanstown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Have heard of a good few people affected..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

I think I've heard about problems with that machine before. Thanks for the heads up, sorry to hear about the skimming.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Two questions;

1. How do they empty your account? Is there not limits to what you can withdraw at machines? Or do they do multiple withdrawals? How does the scam work?

2. Do the bank have the money insured? You're getting it back, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

wow. i use that bank link most days but my bank card was broke this week!

Passed on the info to a buddy of mine (just in case) - she has been speaking to a few people who've had irregular withdrawals from their accounts in the past couple of days. The ATM was the common denominator in all of their situations - the transactions appeared after they'd used that particular ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Sister got done for 300 us dollars too :(

Does anyone else actively check ATMs for this kind of thing?

I don't really know how these 'skimming' antics are done these days, but I remember seeing a TV show (Crime Watch or something along those lines, I think) many moons ago about how you should always check certain parts of the machine for physical defects (generally the piece above the screen, or the platform where the card goes in).

It's always been buried in my head since then, and I tend to do it subconsciously now. I've never had any money taken (if the thieves seen my balance they'd probably give me a few quid!) but it's something I always do.

I wonder how much it's come on since then. I'd say they're fairly smart about getting card info these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭MightyMighty737

Balls, I'd use that one fairly regularly too.

It happened me in the every same location a year or so ago, hopefully I haven't been got again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

is this ATM located inside the shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭MightyMighty737

event wrote: »
    is this ATM located inside the shop?

Nah, on the outside. In the wall of the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Friend got done for $1100 dollars, looks like quiet a few people were done

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭leonards

Anyone get their money back yet off the bank ? My wife if struggling to get hers back from AIB......

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

leonards wrote: »
    Anyone get their money back yet off the bank ? My wife if struggling to get hers back from AIB......

perputraitor fitting the description of an unguaranteed bondholder

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

My girlfriends card was done at that same machine about 3 years ago. The CCTV was not working at the time. Supposedly a common enough occurance at that particular machine. You presume if its common there would be measures taken to make sure it doesn't continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

leonards wrote: »

I have to get a form off bank ir ireland tomorrow and bring it down to the gaurds. I was already down with the gaurds on Sunday reporting it but they didnt give me any paperwork so have to go back tomorrow to get that form stamped. Should take a week to get money back I was told.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Machines at Marion park and BeechGrove were done too last week according to a lad on lmfm this morning.

I also heard from someone who reckoned his card was skimmed at a machine at Rathmullen Rd last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Harry Tasker

I've had my card skimmed too, and I've heard of numerous people having their accounts cleared out! Its the machine at Staffords in Bryanstown that's causing all the trouble!!

The money though was withdrawn in Skokie, Illinois!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭enricoh

I've had my card skimmed too, and I've heard of numerous people having their accounts cleared out! Its the machine at Staffords in Bryanstown that's causing all the trouble!!

The money though was withdrawn in Skokie, Illinois!

kaiser sose's back, i knew he'd pop the head up again!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Harry Tasker

Yeh, the divil is back!!

Bank asked me was I in Skokie so they're refunding my money to me - my account wasn't drained, I'm one of the lucky ones! They bought something on my card to the tune of $201!

Kaiser Soze, brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 stancie49

Yes I had €1000 taken by 4 withdrawls in the USA this week . Bank has refunded all the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mokabaybob

I got my 1400 squids back of PermTSB a couple of days ago. They stopped the card pronto then notified me of the scammed amounts and sent me forms to fill in and have the Guards sign off. Garda station cost me nearly two hours. I dropped completed forms into Stephens Green and amounts were reinstated two days later.

All in all good service. Total of skimmed money well in excess of 1 million Euros off the Staffords ATM, so I am told.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

PTSB seem to be quite good with this. I had €1100 returned after they picked up dodge activity on my credit card. €900 went out on a paypal transaction at 12.30pm one day, i got a call at about 2pm, card cancelled. Went through statement and there was 1 euro here and there gone then 36 then 200 euro and finally the 900 euro. Have no idea where the card was cloned but it was in Dundalk, Drogheda(not the above mentioned atm), or Newry and i cover my pin and check the atm for any strange looking bits, so i dunno but worrying. Statement to Gardai and the hassle of being in and out of the branch a pain - i maybe getting my money back but am well p@ssed at the thought of some scumbag getting away with that money:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

Mokabaybob wrote: »

All in all good service. Total of skimmed money well in excess of 1 million Euros off the Staffords ATM, so I am told.

wow

Advertisement