Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs Stoke, 3pm

• 07-10-2012 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Liverpool host Stoke today and the match will be played in Anfield in the city of Liverpool.

These are the likely line-ups:

Liverpool
    Reina

Wisdon---Skrtel
    Agger----Johnson

Allen

Gerrard----Sahin

Suso
    Suarez
    Sterling

Stoke

Begovic

Cameron---Shawcross--Huth----Wilson

Whealan--N'Zonzi--Adam

Walters
    Kightly

Crouch

Crouch, Adam and Owen all playing against their former club - one should get a good reception, one indifferent and one probably quite a bad one.

Liverpool's record against Stoke at home has been very good lately, with Stoke failing to score in the last 4 visits. However, this Liverpool side doesn't look like they can keep a clean sheet at the moment, and Crouch has been on great form lately.

Stoke boast an average height of 187.7 cms, have won 60% of their aerial duels (more than anyone in the Premiership) and half their goals have come from set-pieces. This doesn't tell us much we don't know already - Stoke will be a threat from set-pieces and Liverpool must avoid giving away silly free-kicks. Fortunately, defending set-pieces has been one of the areas Liverpool have been strong in this year.

There is no doubt Liverpool will boss possession. Liverpool are amongst the highest in the league for pass completion and possession. Stoke, in contrast, are bottom of the possession table with an average of just 37.5%, and 2nd bottom of pass completion with just 69.2%. This is perhaps to be expected of a team that likes to play long ball, however.

The challenge for Liverpool will be making their inevitable pressure count in this match and getting a 2 goal lead, because Stoke are always capable of conjuring a goal out of nothing - a throw-in, a free-kick from their own half, a hopeful punt forward. As long as it stays 0-0 or even 1-0 Liverpool, Stoke will have a great chance to get something out of this game.

Most of Stoke's attacks will come down the right, and they attack down that side more than any other team in the League (45%). However it's possible they might change up and target Wisdom at right-back.

If Liverpool are in any way clinical in this game and Suarez can continue his run of form, then the game should be sewn up by half-time. They will dominate possession in Stoke's half and Stoke don't have the tools (a quick counter-attack) to punish Liverpool's defensive weaknesses. Hpwever, we all know that Liverpool turning pressure and dominance into goals is not something that can be taken as a given.

It's hard to look past a Liverpool win here, but you can never be sure with this Liverpool team.

Suarez to get on the scoresheet and a 3-1 victory is my prediction.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well if there isn't peno in this game I'll be surprised!

If the S-S-S attack does happen its going to be amusing to see who comes off worst, will the Liverpool trio turn the Stoke defence inside out or will Huth and Shawcross flatten them (esp Sterling and Suso) with a few early tackles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Tika-Taka v Rugby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Going to be very tough game,i think a score draw will be the outcome but hope im wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

djPSB wrote: »
    Tika-Taka v Rugby

Tika-taka, Really? They pass the ball around but it's a far cry from tika-taka.

Tika-Taka v Rugby
    double GG wrote: »

Stoke don't actually play rugby either you know :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

double GG wrote: »
    Tika-Taka v Rugby

Sorry.

I meant Death by Football v Death by Rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

It will be as good as a win if we don't pick up any injuries.

3-0 Stoke, Crouch with 2 assisted by Charlie Adam, and the 3rd from a Charlie Adam 10 million pound set piece. Micheal Owen to get injured getting off the bench.

Suarez to not get a penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

4-0 stoke with crouch Adam pennant and Owen to score 4 consecutive sucker punches. Anytime I predict a win we lose hence my logic here :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

mike65 wrote: »
    Stoke don't actually play rugby either you know :rolleyes:

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/stokeontrent/

Yes they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

1-1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Be shocked if there was a clean sheet in this game. Optimistic 2-1 Liverpool, Skrtel to score and Suarez to get that elusive pen, only to thrash it over the bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I fancy our chances for this one. We have been playing some terrific stuff in the last few weeks and I suspect that we will take out all our frustrations on Stoke today.
    3-1 to the 'pool.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

This could go either way. I expect a home victory but I wouldn't be betting on it. I think there will be goals though. Suarez the most likely for the reds while Crouch will surely be a handfull at the other end.
    2-1 Suarez and Gerrard either side of a Crouch goal (nodder from a corner of course)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭c_o_ck p_i_ss chillage

Anybody know any pubs in Dublin city centre that would be showing this game? I know it's not being televised in the UK so it would be a pub that has a foreign satellite system, obviously.

EDIT: Murray's on O'Connell Street: http://www.murraysbar.eu/sport/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

"CockPiss Chillage" wow...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Very few happy memories of Stoke, but I'd say we'll win, and hopefully Suarez will run riot...

could be a close 3-2 to pool, but wouldnt be shocked if we dropped points. This would be a great game to turn around our Anfield luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,050 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

At least they don't have a lot of pace in attack, which will suit us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Liverpool FC ‏@LFC
    Confirmed #LFC team v Stoke: Reina, Wisdom, Skrtel, Agger, Johnson, Allen, Gerrard, Sahin, Suso, Sterling, Suarez.

Liverpool FC ‏@LFC
    Subs: Jones, Henderson, Cole, Assaidi, Coates, Borini, Carragher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Classic match up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Classic match up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Fcuk off joe cole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Downing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Stewart doesn't even make the bench again. Pity we really could have used his courage with the ball and will to win today :pac:

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Downing dropped after a decent performance for Joe Cole, hopefully 'The Rodgers' will tell the papers about it tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Turtyturd wrote: »
    hopefully 'The Rodgers' will tell the papers about it tomorrow.

WTF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

I am actually happy to see Joe Cole on the bench rather than Downing. At least he may actually make some effort before he gets injured again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,495 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

In a way season started against Norwich, At least that's when excuses went out the window, No excuses today, We need 3pts and again against Reading
    To lose today at home would finally register with fans,And i think that we more need to tweak the way we are playing so openly,
    Conceding an incredible amount of goals,
    No one wants to be Newcastle under Keegan, Full backs spend most of there time in opposing half,

To line it out that way on paper would look CRAZY yet its how its played out for large portion of game in reality,

_____Reina____

___Skrtel_Agger_

______Allen______

___Gerrard__Sahin__
    Wisdom________Johnson

Suso___Suarez__Sterling

Need to let forwards do the business for 30 mins, See if we can score,
    Keep defense intact, Only pushing forward as game progresses , Or not at all if indeed we are 2-0 up

Give forwards a chance, We chase it from word go, Full backs pushing forward, No need if we score first ! Geez what is this Basketball

Would actually love Joe Cole to stage a massive comeback in the arse of his career...

But he wont.

Other than that the starting line up is quality. Borini and Assaidi give us a threat of the bench (albeit an unproven threat), but i remember against arsenal i think, we didnt have a single offensive player on the bench. The promotion of Suso has been fantastic, and keeping two signings out of the starting lineup will surely boost some confidence.

• Advertisement

Would have liked to have seen Robinson on the bench tbh. Don't fancy Carra as the full back cover at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Anybody know any pubs in Dublin city centre that would be showing this game? I know it's not being televised in the UK so it would be a pub that has a foreign satellite system, obviously.

EDIT: Murray's on O'Connell Street: http://www.murraysbar.eu/sport/

On Sky Italia, Calcio 9 in Krugers, Howth.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭jimmymal

anybody know where this game might be watched in galway?

nervous about this. will boss the game but could be very ineffective against stoke going forward.

ollie1 wrote: »
    I am actually happy to see Joe Cole on the bench rather than Downing. At least he may actually make some effort before he gets injured again.

Would have preferred to see Pacheo instead of Cole or Downing.

Attacking, not offensive! Hate the way Americanese has invaded every corner of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Best stream to watch this anyone?

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Attacking, not offensive! Hate the way Americanese has invaded every corner of Ireland.

Ah cmon now, thats a fair over reaction to the use of offensive...

You'd nearly hear a commentator say offensive threat in every game! And tis programmed into fifa commentating and all...

down boy...down.

no Owen today for Stoke. Adam and Crouch start.

El Spearo wrote: »
    no Owen today for Stoke. Adam and Crouch start.
    Not on Bench ?

Not on Bench ?

Nope.

• Advertisement

#SCFC: Begovic; Cameron, Shawcross, Huth, Wilson; Walters, N'Zonzi, Adam, Whelan, Kightly; Crouch.

Subs: Sorensen, Upson, Edu, Whitehead, Etherington, Jones, Jerome.

El Spearo wrote: »
    Nope.

Must be some good racing on today,

hefferboi wrote: »
    Best stream to watch this anyone?

PM sent mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭jimmymal

could you send it on to me as well, cheers man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

Knex. wrote: »
    PM sent mate.

Could you send it on to me? Thanks.

Done.

Edit: Luap, I cc'd you but never actually did it before on this, so although I'm fairly sure you got it, I'm not positive. :p

Let me know, if not I'll send it on again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I really like that team, but think that Stoke are going to deliberately try to kick lumps out of our smaller players. Hopefully the ref will stay on top of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

I really like that team, but think that Stoke are going to deliberately try to kick lumps out of our smaller players. Hopefully the ref will stay on top of things.

Its Stoke...its bound to be physical. I mean Pulis signed Charlie Adam for his tackling, not his passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

Knex. wrote: »
    Done.

Edit: Luap, I cc'd you but never actually did it before on this, so although I'm fairly sure you got it, I'm not positive. :p

Let me know, if not I'll send it on again!

Ya I did thanks very much.

Luap wrote: »
    Ya I did thanks very much.

Cool. That link I recommended is just kicking off now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement