Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bans and DRP

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

padd b1975 wrote: »
    O I am not for one second suggesting anything sinister.

My point is that the PMs at that point of the DRP were unnessesary and went against the spirit of the forum.

As you say there was nothing to hide and I accept that 100%, therefore what was left to be said should have been said on the public thread IMHO.

I think I've had 5/6 DRP threads as a mod and I'd say all bar 1 was sorted through pm. If the poster is happy enough with the decision arrived at I don't see a need for public disclosure. Posters are entitled to their privacy too.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

padd b1975 wrote: »
    O I am not for one second suggesting anything sinister.

My point is that the PMs at that point of the DRP were unnessesary and went against the spirit of the forum.

As you say there was nothing to hide and I accept that 100%, therefore what was left to be said should have been said on the public thread IMHO.

And as I pointed out, the poster was PMd to ensure he saw the apology. He may not have done so if he stopped following the thread, and therefore in this instance a PM was absolutely necessary. The PM that was sent was exactly the same as what was posted on the thread, and the poster responded to it via PM. That's how he chose to respond, it's outside the control of the mods and admins. There's nothing against the spirit of the forum using PMs in this case, and in fact ensuring the poster got the apology he deserved is very much in the spirit of the forum.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

LoLth wrote: »

In the DRP thread in question: yes, we took too long. it was a lot more complicated than it appeared on the surface and it requried a lot of discussion behind the scenes and raised some very interesting points that need to be addressed by the admins, cmods and mods.

I think it needs to be made clearer in this case just what exactly is involved behind the scenes as what happens currently is that admins and CMods are spending hours on back and forth correspondence over a course of weeks and it really just appears to the poster as though he/she has been forgotten about in the hope they'll go away. If you just mentioned up front, for example, that the investigation may take two weeks and involve 20 PMs the OP might realise that he/she is actually occupying huge chunks of a volunteer's free time for the sake of a paltry yellow card on a web forum. I know I'd be embarrassed if I thought I was costing somebody a weekend over something so trivial.

Advertisement