Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple tart pastry a bit rubbery,why?

Options
  • 07-10-2012 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Hi made my first apple tart ever ,with stewed apples,flour,cold water and butter,with the later blended together. Oh added sugar too. The taste was fine but the pastry a but rubbery. I assumed it hadn't been cooked fully but tried again today with the same pastry which I had left in the fridge,same result. Any suggestions as to why?.

When mum bakes she used margerine and egg and milk rather than water,when i tried this though it was incrediblt sticky and had to throw it out.

Also is there any difference in quality between Odlums and Supervalu own brand flour?.

Thanks for feedback.

Z x:)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

If it's rubbery, it's probably been overworked. Pastry needs a delicate hand to avoid releasing too much gluten. Or you may not have rubbed the butter into the flour properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

I always use an egg yolk and water, so kind of a combination of your recipes. It won't be sticky if you just add enough to stick it together, too much will make it sticky. For tarts I use 8oz plain flour, 2oz icing sugar (not essential, you could just use all flour), 5oz butter or hard marg, 1 egg yolk and sufficient water to bind it all together. I have never found much differences between flour brands for pastry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I use the Nigel Slater recipe for pastry and it is always light and crumbly.
    its simpler to what phormium has described.

180g flour, 100g butter. Rub in the butter by hand or in a blender. Add some icing sugar if you like.

Add ice cold water, just enough for the pastry to barely bind together.
    Dont knead it or work it, but gently bring it together. The mixture should be crumbly not smooth.

Refreidgerate for 30 minutes before use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Freiheit wrote: »
    Hi made my first apple tart ever ,with stewed apples,flour,cold water and butter,with the later blended together. Oh added sugar too. The taste was fine but the pastry a but rubbery. I assumed it hadn't been cooked fully but tried again today with the same pastry which I had left in the fridge,same result. Any suggestions as to why?.

When mum bakes she used margerine and egg and milk rather than water,when i tried this though it was incrediblt sticky and had to throw it out.

Also is there any difference in quality between Odlums and Supervalu own brand flour?.

Thanks for feedback.

Z x:)

did you bake blind the pastry?

Advertisement