Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delta to Atlanta

Options
  • 07-10-2012 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know what it's like to fly on Delta to Atlanta? It was fairly cheap to book so they must skimp on a few things to make it worth their while. Will I get fed for free or will I have to pay for everything including soft drinks. Also, do they have TVs at the back on the seats or do we all have to stare at a screen at the front pf the plane?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Delta are excellent with all the trimmings.The staff are second to none very pleasent to deal with.Put your fears to rest you will enjoy your time with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

When I flew to NYC in March they offered free alcohol all the way and a meal + small snacks. I found them to be great (and i only paid €540 for flights).

Oh, and you do have your own TV screen!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Delta are grand to fly with. Refreshments are offered but you will have to pay for alcohol - you'll need to pay with a card as they don't take cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Oh, and you do have your own TV screen!

Not always. I flew from Dublin airport to East coast US with Delta earlier this year and they had the shared screens rather than a personal in flight entertainment system for the transatlantic flights there and back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

TV screens are hit or miss. Half the time they have them, half the time they only have the shared. They give you (awful) food and non alcoholic drink for free. You have to pay for alcohol.

Just make sure you dont end up in the back row. I was there before and damn near deaf by the end of it. Never had that on any other companies or flights. It could have been a one off, but avoid it if you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Just want to second what Giles said. Flew with them last week and was very impressed. The plane was the refurbished airbus so you have the seat back entertainment with plenty of selection. Cabin service was great with very friendly staff and no shortage of soft drinks and water. Food was terrible but that's a given I think. If your connecting through Atlanta you will have no problems as its a well set out airport. Enjoy your trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Hmm i had free alcohol all the way to NY and back. It must be on selected flights.

Hmm i had free alcohol all the way to NY and back. It must be on selected flights.

Wine & beer with dinner is provided but liquor is charged for. Maybe you flew Economy comfort?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Thanks for all your answers. I'm not pushed on having alcohol as I never really drink when flying so the only issue then is really if ill have my own tv.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Thanks for all your answers. I'm not pushed on having alcohol as I never really drink when flying so the only issue then is really if ill have my own tv.

It varies from flight to flight, they have a mixture of aircraft on the route. If you book direct with Delta you can see before you book which flights have personal screens by clicking on the aircraft type before the seat selection pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

flew that route in march/april this year, planes were old, no tvs in seatbacks, food was awful on the way over and fine on the way back, also beer was free on the way back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

The ATL route has traditionally had old, clapped out planes. Very different from the JFK route.

HOWEVER: new plane(s) on the ATL route now. Should be a better experience. Don't know if 100% of them are new. (I think there were 2?).

Whether the old buses had seatback screens was hit or miss. It seemed like 50% of them did. But would the headphone jack work? That was always the question. I would assume the old 767 that had the aisle screens and the worn out seats is the one that has been mothballed.

I always found the food to be above average. Whether that is deemed good or bad would probably depend on your expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

rossie1977 wrote: »
    flew that route in march/april this year, planes were old, no tvs in seatbacks, food was awful on the way over and fine on the way back, also beer was free on the way back
    this. I've flown it a few times and this is the way it is. small premium for emergency exit/premium economy which includes free drinks. worth it at my height

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Munstermissy

Have flown Delta for years to Atlanta. Free beer or wine with dinner in economy, normal dinners are chicken or pasta and you get a snack about 2 hours before landing in Atlanta. As stated above, depends on the aircraft but most have screens on the back of the seat. The staff are really nice and of an older generation as they get the pick of the long haul flights, ireland beingnthe shortest routes for long haul.

I normally travel on a buddy ticket so get to sit up front slot of the times, very nice.....

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Bannerman7

I'm just back from Atlanta with Delta. I was happy with the service incl free alcohol & seat back entertainment on the A330-200. The flight takes 8:5hrs and if you have a onward connection from ATL you will have no problem. Link below is Atlanta Airport website.

http://www.atlanta-airport.com/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I used them recently and Atlanta was the connection on to their next flight. Also used them coming home. Before leaving I had a look at past threads on here and was expecting an old ish fleet, but it was pretty good. Had no issues with the service. Water and peanuts or pretzels on internal flights, iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

DL176 and 177 have changed to be an A330-200 on the turn now, instead of the old 767s ; they got these off the NW merger.

Last week it took 8.5 hours to ATL, and 6 back. All seats have personal IFE with all the new movies you want, seat size down the back is fine ( I'm 6'2'' and big )

You can check the plane type on one of the websites- it's consistently been a 332 for a while now.

As i started this thread i suppose I should let you know how I got on. I'm just back today and I thought Delta were great. Apart from Aer Lingus I've only ever flown with Continental to the States and I wasn't to impressed with them but Delta were as good if not better than AL. They seem to offer the refreshments more often than on AL flights and the little tub of ice cream with the panini before you land was a nice touch. Beer was also free if you wanted it.

The one small complaint I had was that they served dinner about an hour into the flight which was only about 10:30am and I haven't ate curry that early in the morning since my college days.

Good choice of films/tv on the in flight system as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

The one small complaint I had was that they served dinner about an hour into the flight which was only about 10:30am and I haven't ate curry that early in the morning since my college days.

Very funny! :D

What are they thinking...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

There was no free alcohol on my flight two weeks ago, it was only economy though.

aaronm13 wrote: »
    There was no free alcohol on my flight two weeks ago, it was only economy though.

I was in economy both ways and I could have had free beer if I wanted. It was the same as Coke, Sprite etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Bannerman7

I was in economy both ways and I could have had free beer if I wanted. It was the same as Coke, Sprite etc.

Same for me both ways a few weeks back.:D but you had to pay for spirits :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Sounds like beer is luck of the draw! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Bannerman7 wrote: »
    Same for me both ways a few weeks back.:D but you had to pay for spirits :mad:

Beer and wine tend to be free with charges for spirits - not ridiculous IMO. I have never been on a Delta flight that didn't have these, to the poster who said there wasn't any. Was it that it wasn't available/offered or that you asked and had to pay?

Advertisement