Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4s 5.1.1...cant make calls.

• 07-10-2012 3:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

Bought a 2nd hand 4s today, put in my sim card and I was unable to make or recieve calls, but could send and recieve messages.

Then a few min ago I could recieve calls but still not make them.

Anyone know a fix? iOS 6?

I tried the set the time manually trick/show caller id etc but no joy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Sounds like its blacklisted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

would there be any way to unlock it if its blacklisted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Have you reset your Network Settings?

Have you reset your Network Settings?

how do you do this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Settings => General => (scroll all the way down to) Reset => Reset Network Settings

may be slightly different in iOS 5 but you'll find it there or thereabouts.

• Advertisement

woke up this morning and the phone was able to make calls, so I think i'm out of danger. however it keeps losing internet connection but I think this is down to the carrier more than anything.

Any how I went on to gumtree and there's a fella who says he can unlock my iphone for $50 (Im in Oz) I'm just wondering would this cause any problems or is it a straight forward process.

Cheers in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It doesn't sound like it's blacklisted.
    Was the phone jailbroken (is there an icon somewhere called Cydia)?
    If not I'd say you should do a reset of everything (back up to iTunes or iCloud first!) and then update it to ios6. Actually the upgrade to ios6 will erase everything, incl settings, and make the phone like brand new again.

biko wrote: »
    It doesn't sound like it's blacklisted.
    Was the phone jailbroken (is there an icon somewhere called Cydia)?
    If not I'd say you should do a reset of everything (back up to iTunes or iCloud first!) and then update it to ios6. Actually the upgrade to ios6 will erase everything, incl settings, and make the phone like brand new again.

No sign of Cydia, and when i switch the phone on a apple logo appears and not a skull, I think that is a way to tell also (not 100%).

I've heard a few stories of iOS 6 causing problems on the 4s etc and i'm a bit weary of getting it. Should I do it before or after I unlock it.

Why do you want to unlock it? If it works for calls and messages it's already unlocked.
    If you can't find Cydia the device isn't jailbroken so should be fine to upgrade.

But before you do anything I suggest you reset Network settings as Cushie Butterfield said, this alone will probably fix the issue.
    You can also do a hard reboot/reset (it won't delete anything)

Reset the iPhone by holding the sleep/wake button at the top right of the device and the home button at the bottom center of the face at the same time.
    Hold them both until you see the screen go black. In some cases, you may need to keep holding them even after the red power off slider appears. If it does, just keep holding it.
    Wait until the white Apple logo appears.
    When this happens, you can let go - the iPhone is rebooting.

Do the above twice.

Sorry biko i should of explained better, i'm in Australia and the phone is locked to Optus network, this network works fine in the city but as soon as your 50km outside the city the signal goes.

I want to unlock it to use the Telstra network which has a signal in 99% of remote places, and as I work in remote Western Australia I need the Telstra network.

So will I wait until after I unlock and start using my telstra sim to reset settings?

thanks again

• Advertisement

Ah, yes in that case you should get it unlocked.
    If the guy from gumtree wants to jailbreak and unlock it that way it won't work if you also update phone, but there is no harm really in keeping it on the current 5.1.1.

If you get a real unlock from Apple you can upgrade the phone to ios6 without issue, check with Optus first if they will do it for you.
    Guy here got it free

biko wrote: »
    Ah, yes in that case you should get it unlocked.
    If the guy from gumtree wants to jailbreak and unlock it that way it won't work if you also update phone, but there is no harm really in keeping it on the current 5.1.1.

If you get a real unlock from Apple you can upgrade the phone to ios6 without issue, check with Optus first if they will do it for you.
    Guy here got it free

The guy told me he won't have to jail brake it, just unlock it...is that even possible?

Also if he has to JB it will I be able to update to iOS 6 in the future? And does a JB affect the phone?

He will (probably) just buy an unlock code online. Can be got on ebay.
    Speak to Optus, it might just be cheaper that way.

If he jailbreaks it you can still upgrade to ios6, but if you do you'll lose the jailbreak.

Hey got it unlocked from the fella on gum tree, took him 20mins.

Thanks for all your help.

Advertisement