Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

From Early Childhood Education and Care to Primary Teaching

• 07-10-2012 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all,
    I am currently studying BA (Hons) Early Childhood Education and Care in Carlow IT, i also did FETAC Level 5 and 6 in Early CHildhood, I am wondering is it possible to get into primary teaching after the programme i am currently completing. (I am also not Irish so I know I will have to learn the Irish language) Is there any other requirements or the most important is that even possible ??
    Thank You

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Equality

If yours is a level 8 degree this is sufficient in terms of the degree, but you will still need to have the minimum requirement in terms of Irish/English/Maths, and to complete an interview if you are considering the postgrad route, in Ireland. Carlow IT will tell you if it is a level 8 degree.

Many with a degree have completed a postgrad in England/Scotland/Wales, and then completed an Irish exam on return to Ireland.

Alternative if you have the minimum requirements in terms of Irish/English/Maths, you can apply through the CAO for an undergraduate degree as a mature student.

There are very few jobs at present in primary schools, so be prepared to earn less than 15,000 as a sub teacher for the first 5-7 years.

The job market is likely to get worse, as women of childbearing age are currently leaving Ireland, and this has consequences for the number of children likely to be born in 5-15 years time.

Once you get a permanent job you will find that the salary and pension rights have been decimated, in comparison to those currently working in the system.

A primary teachers, starting work now, is unlikely to earn a living wage until at least ten years after graduation. On the plus side, if you had children and were teaching full time, you would probably qualify for Family Income Supplement.

Advertisement