Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat peeing outside front door

• 07-10-2012 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Hey guys, hope someone can help.

I have two cats, both boys about 2 years old. I trained them on litter boxes for the first year of their life and afterwards sent them outside to do their necessaries.

One of the cats was hit by a car and during his recuperation was house bound and back on the litter box. I've since gotten rid of that box but now a new extremely irritating problem has arisen. Pretty much every day when I get home from work there is a puddle of piss directly outside the front door, a tiled landing I share with my neighbour. He also whizzes in the house the odd time.

Is there anything that can be done to discourage this and encourage grass peeing? He currently craps in the grass but peeing is an issue. I've taken him to the vet to rule UTI.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

Usually cats like to bury their urine so as not to leave a scent behind as you probably know. How to get him to stop urinating there. The only thing I can think of is using a cat repellant spray in that area. You can buy sprays that claim to stop the cat urinating in the same place.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Fannymcslap

Is there a chance that could stop him coming home though? If it's outside the front door I mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

Yeah I was thinking the same thing as I typed it. I don't think it would stop him coming home. I know I've seen sprays in pets shops with names like Pee Off or the like that you could use indoors. The idea was that cats tend to urinate in the same place as that is where their scent is but this stuff kind of takes away the scent. I would recommend going to a good pet shop rather than a hardware store. They'll be better able to advise you too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Using a biological washing solution should get rid of any ammonia smell so that the area won't smell like a toilet to him.

Is he neutered? I'm not very good with cat behaviour, but I've gotten the impression that spraying like that could be territorial marking and neutering can help decrease the urge to scent mark.

Advertisement