Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPad web browser crashing when replying to a message

• 07-10-2012 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭

I was right at the end of replying to a pretty long PM here and safari on my iPad crashed and when it reloaded, I lost everything I had written.

Anyway to recover what I had written or a way to prevent it happening in future?
    It's the most annoying thing and it's happened a good few times on me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,937 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Try Chrome in future?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Try Chrome in future?

Does it make a diffrence and save what you've written though? On a laptop it does but I'm not sure about a tablet.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

1ZRed wrote: »
    Does it make a diffrence and save what you've written though? On a laptop it does but I'm not sure about a tablet.

Well it could be more reliable for starters
    And I don't know about Safari but Chrome does offer an option to restore all tabs, whether it will restore what you typed I don't know and I can't force a crash :o I'll find out next time it crashes I guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I just downloaded chrome on it and I typed something out then refreshed the page and hit the back and then forward buttons. No it doesn't save it either.

Seems like a flaw with them. I'll know for again to do any long typing on a laptop when at least this wouldn't happen and I'd be able to recover it again.

1ZRed wrote: »
    I just downloaded chrome on it and I typed something out then refreshed the page and hit the back and then forward buttons. No it doesn't save it either.

Seems like a flaw with them. I'll know for again to do any long typing on a laptop when at least this wouldn't happen and I'd be able to recover it again.

Well it's not really practical but you could copy the text every few lines..I do that out of paranoia sometimes :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I don't have an iPad but try the Opera web browser. It could just be a limitation you'll have to live with but in general I find that Opera doesn't crash very much on any platform I've used it on and when it does, it recovers all tabs (don't know about text on a form).

Do any browsers support extensions on iPad?

thebman wrote: »
    I don't have an iPad but try the Opera web browser. It could just be a limitation you'll have to live with but in general I find that Opera doesn't crash very much on any platform I've used it on and when it does, it recovers all tabs (don't know about text on a form).

Do any browsers support extensions on iPad?

All browsers on iOS are, in essence masks of Safari which is unquestionably the default browser on all Apple devices.

Due to these restrictions placed by Apple, you won't see much variations in browsers in the App Store, it they weren't in place companies like Google and Opera would be able to unleash their true products

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    All browsers on iOS are, in essence masks of Safari which is unquestionably the default browser on all Apple devices.

Due to these restrictions placed by Apple, you won't see much variations in browsers in the App Store, it they weren't in place companies like Google and Opera would be able to unleash their true products

Well Opera does make use of the Turbo servers to compress content and reformat sites on their servers before they are sent to the iPad so it might help with some issues but probably not in this instance.

Opera Turbo can also act as a proxy to get around website blocks on networks such as Facebook or Boards.ie on a corporate network ;)

Advertisement