Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog training

• 07-10-2012 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I am having a problem training my dog to a radio fence, she wont move when I put the collar on her, since she got a mild shock the first time. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

bmgc wrote: »
    Hi,

I am having a problem training my dog to a radio fence, she wont move when I put the collar on her, since she got a mild shock the first time. Any help would be appreciated.

Did you condition her to the collar first for a few days before switching anything on so that she wouldn't associate the collar with the shock?

Second, check the fence isn't lined out in such a way that it creates a 'trap' where they get a shock whatever way they turn.

I've never used one but just the two things that come to mind.

Just to add, these probably need a softly softly approach & maybe should not be used on a nervous dog. You'd really want to know your dog before using one. Also, my own view on them is, while I'm not entirely against them, I see them as a last resort training aid for teaching a dog boundaries. Not too sure about them as a long term solution. Just something to keep in mind with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭sionnaic

bmgc wrote: »
    Hi,

Well you're bound to have problems when you resort to electrocuting your dog. I mean do you blame the poor thing??

I have never heard of one of these "fences" actually achieving what they're supposed to do I.e. keeping the dog contained and safe. Every one I've heard of has resulted in their dog escaping. Its much much safer to put up an actual fence, or if your plot is to big, the fence off a part of it.

Electrocuting your dog is cruel, you are hurting him deliberately. Your dog's reaction here is evidence enough, the poor thing. Stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

sionnaic wrote: »
    [

Well you're bound to have problems when you resort to electrocuting your dog. I mean do you blame the poor thing??

I have never heard of one of these "fences" actually achieving what they're supposed to do I.e. keeping the dog contained and safe. Every one I've heard of has resulted in their dog escaping. Its much much safer to put up an actual fence, or if your plot is to big, the fence off a part of it.

Electrocuting your dog is cruel, you are hurting him deliberately. Your dog's reaction here is evidence enough, the poor thing. Stop.

In fairness, you obviously don't know anything about these or you wouldn't call it something as dramatic as 'electrocuting'. Just because they're called shock collars does not mean it's electrocution... I've felt these on myself & it's not electrocution. There are right & wrong ways to use them, problem is if they're used wrongly which in many cases they are, they can cause more problems. Fencing or a dog run is ultimately better but...

Anyway, the OP didn't come on here for a debate of right or wrong of them. Each to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

carav10 wrote: »
    In fairness, you obviously don't know anything about these or you wouldn't call it something as dramatic as 'electrocuting'. Just because they're called shock collars does not mean it's electrocution... I've felt these on myself & it's not electrocution. There are right & wrong ways to use them, problem is if they're used wrongly which in many cases they are, they can cause more problems. Fencing or a dog run is ultimately better but...

Anyway, the OP didn't come on here for a debate of right or wrong of them. Each to their own.

Of course its electrocution, its an electric shock. In my opinion they're always used wrongly, how on earth is there a right way to hurt your dog?

OP, my advise is to get rid of it and buy a run or fence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭sionnaic

carav10 wrote: »
    sionnaic wrote: »
    [

Actually I do know a fair bit about them so please do not dismiss me like that.

And no I don't believe its "each to their own" in the case of devices which are designed to cause an animal pain. That's how these things work , by causing pain. You may as well be sticking needles in him .

Calling them shock collars....what do you think causes the shock? Electricity. Hence electrocution is the accurate term. People try to convince themselves that these are harmless handy things, for their own convenience, but they are deluding themselves at the expense of their dog. Its not acceptable.

You may have felt these shocks on yourself but a dog's body mass is a lot smaller than a human, and also the nerves in a dog's skin are much closer to the surface as a dog's skin is actually much thinner than a human. This means they feel pain of this kind much more acutely.

Also its worth noting that these "fences" are banned in Wales for being cruel - hopefully other countries will follow suit. I can only hope.

Telling yourself that these things are harmless but effective....it doesn't change the reality that they are not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Roxbb

Of course the dog isn't moving why would he if the first time he did he felt physical pain! Who would move?!?!
    No justification for these at all!
    Calling this thread dog training is misleading as well as it is clearly not training!
    Take some time do some research go to some positive reinforcement classes & work with your dog to define your boundaries & build a loving trusting relationship with your dog....
    I dread to think that this dog is a puppy or a rescue....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

While I do think that training a dog to use these collars is far better than the pain a dog would feel if hit by a car and maybe it could be a last resort or a short term solution I don't agree with them but can see why people resort to them.

In the long run and esp. as the dog already is upset by the use of it, it's best to put up fencing, if it's a large area than farm relief services would be ideal but it can be pricey but in the long term the fencing lasts the life of the dog.
    If you are renting for instance you can use a dog run instead, they are also expensive but tbh a small dog run works out about the same price as some of the shock collar kits.
    You can also extend a run if you can't afford to build a large run, runs like cilldara.ie are removable and extendable so if you move house or need to add on over time they are ideal. They last decades being hot dipped galvanised and have good resale value so they are a good investment to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It does sound to me like the dog is too scared to move in case it gets a shock. I've heard so many stories, from dogs learning how to run down the battery to dogs running out after a rat and being unable to get home again because of the collar, to think of them as anything other than useless, and that's without getting into the ethics of them.

Really, you'd be better off fencing the garden properly.

Advertisement