Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

am i entitled to a refund

Options
  • 07-10-2012 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

bought a laptop 9 months ago. had a probelm with it not turning on after about 6 weeks, went to the shop and he said there was nothing wrong with. anyway the problem seemed to slove itself. 8 months on the prob is back. took it to the store again and this time he couldnt get it on and said he would send it away. Am i entitled to demand my money back or do i have to accept a repair under the warranty?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

You are entitled to demand your money back; it's less clear that you are entitled to get it.

What might happen if you went to court with your claim? Chances are that the judge would rule that the offer of a repair was reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

swillybabe wrote: »
    bought a laptop 9 months ago. had a probelm with it not turning on after about 6 weeks, went to the shop and he said there was nothing wrong with. anyway the problem seemed to slove itself. 8 months on the prob is back. took it to the store again and this time he couldnt get it on and said he would send it away. Am i entitled to demand my money back or do i have to accept a repair under the warranty?

Repair or replacement (pretty much at their discretion) unless the repair will cause unreasonable inconvenience. How long is it going to be away for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

it's up to the two parties involved to come to an agreement of either repair, replacement, or refund.
    there is no legal obligation on the seller to provide a refund, unless you were to take the issue to the SCC, but they'd most likely rule against you because you've not given them reasonable opportunity to remedt the ploblem via repair or replacement.
    it's normal policy of alot of stores to go with repair first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Think of another product - a car.

A fault occurs in the ignition after 8 months - one that is easily repairable. Am I entitled to a full refund?

No.

Or I bought a jacket and a button fell off - Of course I could demand a refund, but the store would sew the button back on and hand it back to me. I could take it to the SCC, but they'd laugh it out of court.

Basically, you have to accept that items that are manufactured can develop faults. Sometime due to poor manufacture / design, sometime due to neglect by the user. In 95% of cases, the fix is dreadfully easy and once it fixed properly it can be used as normal.

Advertisement