Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi Fare Dispute

Options
  • 07-10-2012 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I was charged €55 for a taxi from Hartstown to Kimmage a few weeks ago, total journey was 30.2 km from 6:03 in the morning until 6:40 (must have been the long way!). Is this fare correct? I was the only one in the car. It does say "extras: 3.00", no idea what thats for!

Is there a regulator still?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

according to http://www.worldtaximeter.com/dublin your fare should have been roughly 40 euros and the distance is 21 km . don't know whether this is a reliable calculation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Looks like it's gone and is in that interim limbo where no one is really dealing with it:

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Professional-Drivers/Taxi-Regulator/

Did you flag it or phone for one? IIRC they can charge a booking fee?

EDIT: Hang on a sec; Hartstown out Blach way? I got done a few years back as the Taxi driver said he had to cross the boundary with Co. Meath as work were paying I didn't challenge it but I wonder if that has something to do with it? I'll stress this was almost ten years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

I flagged it down. You see I was pissed so I cant give specifics! Either way, theres no way it should have been €55!

Working it out from the taxi card it comes to about €40 - plus the extras which just look like he was taking the p!ss - looks like its a bit high right enough. dodgey meter a possibility?

Hmm another thing that springs to mind - did you go though the M50 Toll?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

If you flagged a taxi, were alone and didn't go through any tolls, there shouldn't be any extra charges at all.

Anything over 45 sounds exceedingly high for the distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Dubwat

There is a taxi regulator - http://www.transportforireland.ie/taxi/
    and they do have a fare calculator as well - http://www.transportforireland.ie/taxi/fare-estimator/

It quotes €35-€46 but I would have thought it closer to €35 because there would be very little traffic at that time of the morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

€33-€44 and distance of 21km! With no traffic takes approximately 25minutes.

Looks like you picked up a dodgy taxi?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

NoQuarter wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I was charged €55 for a taxi from Hartstown to Kimmage a few weeks ago, total journey was 30.2 km from 6:03 in the morning until 6:40 (must have been the long way!). Is this fare correct? I was the only one in the car. It does say "extras: 3.00", no idea what thats for!

Did you get/keep a receipt ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Did the driver ask for directions, was he using Sat Nav or did he know they way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Looks like it's gone and is in that interim limbo where no one is really dealing with it:

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Professional-Drivers/Taxi-Regulator/

Did you flag it or phone for one? IIRC they can charge a booking fee?

EDIT: Hang on a sec; Hartstown out Blach way? I got done a few years back as the Taxi driver said he had to cross the boundary with Co. Meath as work were paying I didn't challenge it but I wonder if that has something to do with it? I'll stress this was almost ten years ago.

Hartstown is Dublin 15 so the Taxi driver ripped you off.

Anyways, if he used the toll he can charge you for that. But it probably shouldn't have been more than €45

• Advertisement

Did you get/keep a receipt ?

Yes I have it here. Any ideas on where to go with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

hartstown to kimmage !
    the best route is prob to take the m50 and exit at ballymount or tallaght[ depending where in kimmage you were going ]
    now if the taxi did go this way then id say the €3 is the toll charge .
    as for the other €52 this too could depend on where in hartstown and where in kimmage. but it does seem to be on the high side .
    the time aswell !at that time of the day it should,nt take 38mins .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Hi guys,

Where in Hartstown did you get the taxi and where in Kimmage did it drop you off?

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Where in Hartstown did you get the taxi and where in Kimmage did it drop you off?

I have absolutely no idea as to the first part of the question and I dont want to advertise my address as to the second! :D

I was thinking of you NQ as I was dashing to get to an appointment in Town from GCD and got a cab. I then managed to loose the number I wrote down!

Try this:

http://www.nationaltransport.ie/contact-us/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

30.2 km from 6:03 in the morning until 6:40 (must have been the long way!).
    At this time there is a premium rate, dunno if people ticked the box in the estimator. One sample route is
    standard €64.60to €77.80
    Premium €72.60to €87.60

fare_card.png
    juan.kerr wrote: »
    Did the driver ask for directions, was he using Sat Nav or did he know they way?
    Drivers always try and take me on the M50 these days, not only does it cost more it would a lot longer if I was to go the M50 as I usually only am getting taxis very early in the morning. Is there anything you can do about them taking long routes though? there obviously must be a line drawn somewhere, like when I am going from the airport they often take crazy routes though the city centre, but they are not much longer or anything.

If you there is nothing you can do about 'scenic route drivers' then we should only be concerned with the price of 30.2km, and take into account tolls and premium rates.

A sample route at 29.3km is €45.80to €57.40 at premium times on the estimator

I was thinking of you NQ as I was dashing to get to an appointment in Town from GCD and got a cab. I then managed to loose the number I wrote down!

Try this:

http://www.nationaltransport.ie/contact-us/

I'll assume that is because I am "dashing". :D

Thanks, I dont even think I'll bother, probably not worth the effort, I think ill chalk this one up as a lesson learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I'll assume that is because I am "dashing". :D

Thanks, I dont even think I'll bother, probably not worth the effort, I think ill chalk this one up as a lesson learned.

And another driver escapes any kind of official censure, instead we'll just get more boards.ie rants about all taxi drivers do this or do that!

And the NTA and TFI give another leaflet out saying we see no problems

Back up yer moaning and complain formally

http://www.transportforireland.ie/taxi/taxi-compliments-complaints/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Do you remember if the taxi was a company one or was the roof sign blank, if you know any Guards get them to chase this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Do you remember if the taxi was a company one or was the roof sign blank, if you know any Guards get them to chase this up.

Nothing to do with the Garda, complain to the NTA.

• Advertisement

With the greatest respect to NoQuarter, who tirelessly (okay perhaps not tirelessly) puts me right on things over in another forum, he has stated he was so pissed he cant remember where he was picked up. I'm not sure the taxi signage stands much of a chance! :D

Advertisement