Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help reading birth cert

• 07-10-2012 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    If you have a moment please help me to decipher the hand writing on this cert. I think I have most of it but Im not sure. It's my grandad David Skerrett which I never knew born 1926.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭kodoherty93

Generally church records are more trust worthy than state records

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tenterfields

I make it
    Date of birth:Twenty ninth March 1926, 37 Lr Leeson Str
    Name: David Pierce Mary
    Father: David Charles Skerrett, 140 Tritonville Road
    Mother: Mary Skerrett formerly Pierce
    Father's profession: Clerk
    Informant: E O'Connell, Present at birth, 37 Lr Leeson St
    Registrar: James Devane

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Generally church records are more trust worthy than state records

I really can't agree with that statement. Church records have gaps, and illegible writing, give different details depending on the church, and are often in Latin. State records are governed by strict rules.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

There is one respect (and I think only one) in which church records might be more reliable than state records: as a good indication of date of birth. In the 19th century it was commonplace for infants to be baptised within 24 hours of birth. People were not always so efficient about registering the birth, and if they were late in registering they were subject to a financial penalty. The standard work-around was to declare a date of birth later than the true one. Hence the appearance of baptism of the unborn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

the quick baptisms applied to just RC families - CofI and others could be months after the birth

S.

• Advertisement
Advertisement