Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gettin Garda clearance in Canada

Options
  • 07-10-2012 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Anyone done this before? I have to get my clearance for the second year IEC. First time round (in Ireland) they were fairly awkward about the whole situation. I had to come in in person and present my passport, proof of application for canadian visa and a stamped addressed envelope.

That's gonna be a bit difficult from Canada. Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

Come on boardies ,can anyone explain how to get out of this. It would seem that the canadian police should be giving clearence for the year spent in canada. So the immigration guys should know this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Have you asked Canadian IEC guys?

I sent a couple of emails to them last week and they came back relatively quick on both occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

Had any of your enquiries to do with garda clearence for a second year.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

I got the parents to go in and get the form from the gardai. They scanned me over a copy and I sent it back to them with a copy of my passport and birthcert. They dropped that into the garda station.and I had it in the post to me in Canada in a week.

You could just get your folks to fill in the form for ya and email over a black and white copy of what you need

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

horse7 wrote: »
    Had any of your enquiries to do with garda clearence for a second year.

No. That shouldn't stop you sending an email yourself though, they're relatively helpful.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/contact_us-communiquez_avec_nous.aspx?view=d

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 V8_man

The police clearance thing can be hard, since it looks as though every Garda station has a different attitude and way of doing it. It should be relatively simple, they want to know what it's for and to make sure you are who you say you are. they posted it to my Ma and she forwarded it to me, did take a few weeks though.

For immigration, it has to be up to date, so there's no point trying to claim that you don't need one for the year you were away on the grounds that you couldn't have been committing any crimes in Ireland. From their point of view, you could easily have been convicted of something while you were out of the country.

I faxed my local Garda station a copy of my passport and a list of my previous addresses, it was quite simple to do but I've heard of other people having problems.

Advertisement