Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Under Irish and EU law, what counts as valid proof of identity w/ internet accounts?

Options
  • 07-10-2012 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

There is an online game distribution service called Origin. Recently I received an email saying that my email address associated with my Origin account has been changed, without my consent. Obviously someone hacked into my account.

The trouble with regaining access to my account, is that EA (owner of Origin) requires me to validate the Date of Birth I used when registering my account. According to them the DOB I provided to Support is invalid. Now, I do not know if I used a false DOB or entered it incorrectly in my endless stupidity, but even saying so they will no budge.

They require ''verifying'' information, despite me providing game codes, email addresses previously used and offering to give then PayPal receipts and bank invoices.

What I want to know is if they are in the right, if their policy with the DOB us supported by Irish and EU consumer laws, and ,if so, what I can do about it.

Thanks for the advice/help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

There is an online game distribution service called Origin. Recently I received an email saying that my email address associated with my Origin account has been changed, without my consent. Obviously someone hacked into my account.

The trouble with regaining access to my account, is that EA (owner of Origin) requires me to validate the Date of Birth I used when registering my account. According to them the DOB I provided to Support is invalid. Now, I do not know if I used a false DOB or entered it incorrectly in my endless stupidity, but even saying so they will no budge.

They require ''verifying'' information, despite me providing game codes, email addresses previously used and offering to give then PayPal receipts and bank invoices.

What I want to know is if they are in the right, if their policy with the DOB us supported by Irish and EU consumer laws, and ,if so, what I can do about it.

Thanks for the advice/help

I have no idea about the legalities of it but getting Origin / EA to budge on anything like this is impossible. It's a sub-contracted Indian call centre, which will be attached to a sercivce contract in a subsidiary arm of a sub company of the group operated by a Martians on Saturn. EA are notoriously bureaucratic - they make France look like the model of cutting though red tape.

The best thing to do is post on their CS forums and hope one of their admins spot it.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭General Grobel

I have no idea about the legalities of it but getting Origin / EA to budge on anything like this is impossible. It's a sub-contracted Indian call centre, which will be attached to a sercivce contract in a subsidiary arm of a sub company of the group operated by a Martians on Saturn. EA are notoriously bureaucratic - they make France look like the model of cutting though red tape.

The best thing to do is post on their CS forums and hope one of their admins spot it.

Well that's what I did, if that doesn't work out I got the email addresses for higher-ups.

Advertisement