Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog digging in the garden

• 07-10-2012 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am looking for some advice. My dog (a golden labrador 4 years old) keeps digging a hole in the exact same spot in the back garden. It has happened 5 or 6 times now. It's not from boredom as I walk her twice a day.

Has anyone any advice?

Thanks

Cbtc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Sounds weird, but it worked for us. Take some of her poo and put it in the hole, then fill the hole in. It stopped our girl for 18 months, she dug it again, we did the same thing and it stopped again. Weird but true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

barbiegirl wrote: »
    Sounds weird, but it worked for us. Take some of her poo and put it in the hole, then fill the hole in. It stopped our girl for 18 months, she dug it again, we did the same thing and it stopped again. Weird but true

works for me aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I'm not trying to be smart but dogs like digging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Pepper sprinkled where you don't want them to dig works, if there's a place that is safe and where you don't mind her digging, let her, as it is a natural activity for dogs and they like to bury bones etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

You could try buying a kids sand pit and burying toys or treats in it for her to dig, it could be a hard behavior to fully get rid of but giving her someplace to dig without ruining the garden could help her satisfy her need to dig in a controlled manner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

My lab buries bones and toys in the garden.. she has few areas, she will hide things in.

She took a big like to digging in one particular spot in the garden for no reason.. a big deep hole... maybe she was getting a scent from the area??

I just covered that spot so that she cant dig there anymore, and it seemed to stop the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

barbiegirl wrote: »

This.

Mate had a Great Dane digging up his garden, the dog was wrecking the place. He lobbed a few of the dogs (huge) turds into the holes (didn't fill them in though) and that was the end of the digging.

Advertisement