Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvesting in Oz End of Oct to xmas is it worth going for such a short period????

Options
  • 07-10-2012 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

My situation is I currently have a job here but work got quite, so had been applying but notting coming up I work for an insulation company now work has picked up again, have a job more or less got in Oz harvesting from end of October till before xmas if i want it (would be with two lads from my own locality at home who had been on same farm last yr). Coming home for xmas and then going to Thailand with the girlfriend for 3 weeks (she is not going to Oz with me this time but may in the future) and propably go working in Ireland again.
    I think it is a great oppturnity to go I did a Uk harvest 3 years ago and really enjoyed it plus would hopefully save a lot of money in a short time. Just wondering has anyone done such a short period in Oz flights will be in or around €1400-€1500. And if i wish to get a second year visa I will not have completed the full 88 days, I know that I can get more regional work in the new year if i wish with same employer and that would resolve that issue. I know the period there willl be short very unsure what the best move is at the moment would appreciate any comments of advice of anyone who had been in a sililar situation.

Just wondering if I want to go to Oz for a second year ie once 88days completed do I have to do the following year or how does the granting of a second year visa work??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

My situation is I currently have a job here but work got quite, so had been applying but notting coming up I work for an insulation company now work has picked up again, have a job more or less got in Oz harvesting from end of October till before xmas if i want it (would be with two lads from my own locality at home who had been on same farm last yr). Coming home for xmas and then going to Thailand with the girlfriend for 3 weeks (she is not going to Oz with me this time but may in the future) and propably go working in Ireland again.
    I think it is a great oppturnity to go I did a Uk harvest 3 years ago and really enjoyed it plus would hopefully save a lot of money in a short time. Just wondering has anyone done such a short period in Oz flights will be in or around €1400-€1500. And if i wish to get a second year visa I will not have completed the full 88 days, I know that I can get more regional work in the new year if i wish with same employer and that would resolve that issue. I know the period there willl be short very unsure what the best move is at the moment would appreciate any comments of advice of anyone who had been in a sililar situation.
    In australia most type of farm work is not considered to be a great opportunity, money is low and hours are long. So if you are just coming to Australia to do farm work and then leaving, then I wouldn't really bother, however is you are doing it to get the 88 days out of the way (or part of it), then yes that is a good idea.
    Just wondering if I want to go to Oz for a second year ie once 88days completed do I have to do the following year or how does the granting of a second year visa work??
    Have a read here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056170937 all your 2nd year visa questions are answered. (short answer is no, you decide when you do it once you are under 31)

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

I worked on a number of different farms over there and believe me when I tell ya you're gonna get paid buttons.

It'll be enough to survive on but you won't be saving much particularly if you're planning on treating the other half to a trip to Thailand.

Why not just go to Oz for the year. I'd definitely stay on and serve your time so you qualify for another visa. Afaik you can't do it in stints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

leeomurchu wrote: »
    Afaik you can't do it in stints.

You definitely can do it in stints. All regional work carried out during your first WHV counts towards the 88 days so long as you can prove it.

However, even with work set up for you etc, you would be taking a huge financial chance coming out here and putting all your eggs in one basket.

What if the weather causes you to be rained off or you get sick/injured. You are banking on the cash in a short period of time and I just think you'd be risking too much. Ultimately your decision though...

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

Batgurl wrote: »
    You definitely can do it in stints. All regional work carried out during your first WHV counts towards the 88 days so long as you can prove it..

I actually mean't as in him going over from Ireland doin 2 months then trying to return to complete the 88 days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

leeomurchu wrote: »
    I actually mean't as in him going over from Ireland doin 2 months then trying to return to complete the 88 days :D

So long as he returns within his first WHV he can go home to Ireland as often as he wants in the 12 months.

• Advertisement
Advertisement