Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ever had a gun pointed at you?

• 07-10-2012 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭weiland79

Twice for me.

First time i accidently pushed the panic button in work.
    Armed police where there minutes later. Went to the shop door to see what all the commotion outside was, and there was the fuzz with their weapons drawn and pointed at me.

Second time was in this bar
    http://www.toytowngermany.com/munich/paddys_irish_pub.html.

I was sat at the bar when a guy walks in and pulls out a gun points it at us and says he's looking for someone.
    The barman said he hadn't been in that day and your man left.
    Funny thing was that he didn't go very far, we could see him standing outside waiting. The barman called the cops who promptly arrived and apprehended the gentleman.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

No. Unfortunately I've lead a sheltered life...so far anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Yes. Held up once in work years,ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Yes, by nasty people who have absolutely no regard for human life. Once in civy street and the rest away with work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Yes many times, but my Quasar days are over, man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭weiland79

Biggins wrote: »
    Yes.

K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,799 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Yes but it was during RDF training so it was grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

Yes a double barrel shotgun to my head.
    Couple of scum came into a restaurant I was working in just at closing time, I had taken all the cash out of the money drop safe and in they came. One held the gun the other had me caught by the arm and made me open the till. I don't know what else was going through my head but all I was concerned about were the tips under the counter. Tried to delay things by tuning the key in the till a few times...pretending it wouldn't open, don't know what was going through my head!

Eventually opened the till gave them the cash and off they went. It was a fairly big restaurant and down the very end there were 3 customers left. When I hit the panic button they strolled up to the till and wondered was there a fire. They had seen nothing.

Was in work again the next night not a bother. Tough as nails, back then anyway. I don't think I would feel the same if it happened now.

Wouldn't mind getting my hands on them now though. I was just pregnant at the time, things could have been very different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Only pellet guns and one unloaded shotgun thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Yes, I had a shotgun stuck to my temple but I'm not telling the story because I did here once and some immature users thought it was hilarious.....it wasn't :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

No, but my friends have unknowingly :D While they were out in the field kicking ball I was upstairs in my uncles house, staring at them through the scope of a M21. Unloaded of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Yes. I was talking to Mae West who was sitting with her back to a mirror

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Does Airsoft count ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Ella

Not pointed at me. But someone did push one across the table towards me so I could have a look. Scared the crap out of me and made sure I didn't touch the thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Yeah but only from people with bad muzzle discipline .I would probably crap my pants if it happened with actual malice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Yes had a hand gun put to my eye by a boucer in a nighclub in tijuan,Mexico

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

Yes many moons ago when I worked in a shop, two lads burst in, one with a gun pointed it at me and demanded the money, I handed them the till then rang the guards. Scary experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Yes.

Pesky kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

A couple of times :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Calibos

Yes, had a gun put to my head. I gave the gun to the guards when they arrived. Turns out it was a starter pistol but I wasn't to know that. Still haven't thrown a punch in my life. Adrenaline is like a superpower I tell you!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

many times, but I was on the shrooms and I was inside the TV,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Yup,running in rain in Chicago when patrol car nearly ran me over, and was roughly over powered by 2 gun wielding cops , one turned out to be Irish so turned a bit jovial after but scary thoughts after as the cops kill quite a few people over there

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

A loopy ex of mine once threatened me with a 'gun'.. well, he wanted me to think it was a shotgun..

It was actually 2 pieces of copper pipe down his zipped up jacket, I heard them clanging together while he was walking towards me.. he held them both together so when I looked down all I would see was what looked like the top of a double barreled gun..

He was all kinds of crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Yes.

And the story behind it? Let me guess - you can't tell us.

Actually it has happened to me. Managed pubs for many years and one Monday morning get held up with a sawn off and had to hand over the weekends takings. It seemed so surreal that it didn't really register at the time. Chap was like 'give me the bag' as he prodded the gun to my belly, I just looked at him blankly then he said 'give me the fcukin' bag' and moved the gun to my neck. I gave him the bag and then he took my car keys (like I was gonna chase him) and fcuked off. People where saying for days that I would chuck a wobbler once it dawned on me how close I was to death. Was grand and went back to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

xzanti wrote: »
    A loopy ex of mine once threatened me with a 'gun'.. well, he wanted me to think it was a shotgun..

It was actually 2 pieces of copper pipe down his zipped up jacket, I heard them clanging together while he was walking towards me.. he held them both together so when I looked down all I would see was what looked like the top of a double barreled gun..

He was all kinds of crazy.

:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

ejmaztec wrote: »

:pac:

If only!

We (ma and I) don't allow toy guns in the home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

Yep. A Few times on my travels. Lived in lots ofplaces where guns were the norm. Once I ended up with an Israeli guy in our local. Taught me to take an M16 to pieces blindfolded (or in my case blind drunk) and put it back together in X seconds (probably minutes or hours given the state we were in !) Guns aren't bad - it's the untrained loopers who are.The worst thing I ever experienced was a friend of mine in Portugal who pulled out a wee mini pistol (nah! not one of them :):) ) one night, pointed it at me and told me he needed it because of the hold ups on business people making deposits at night. Told him if he didn't put the f*&^%ing thing away I'd be making a deposit he'd have to clean up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Enright

Shot at once, robbing apples _ your man fired the shot gun into the air i think (too busy running away). The pellets landed around us as we legged it out, but boy did the apples taste nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

In a mates house when i was about 12yrs old. The father had a rifle (and a shotgun or two) behind the TV and one of the lads grabbed it and pointed it at my head. The son told him to put it down cause its loaded:eek:, i hope it wasn't but thankfully we didn't find out.

• Advertisement

:pac:

If only!

We (ma and I) don't allow toy guns in the home.

Yes, we only have real ones as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Yep.

Also been on the business end of Israeli Artillery & Air Force, if you're going to try it bring plenty of underwear.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭JimmyChew

Was at a house party one time a few years back. A few rough looking lad's arrived into the kitchen and started throwing their weight around and giving the girls a bit too much attention. I started ****ing them out the door when out of nowhere one of them pulls out a sawn off shotgun and points it at me and says "Go handy now lad were just partying we'll be on our way soon" they loaded up into a van and took off.. when i look back i still dread what could have happened........ good times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

anncoates wrote: »
    Yes. Held up once in work years,ago.

+1 they robbed the shop I was working in. Scumbags

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Yes, but then I turned off my Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Either there are some tall tales here or this happens ALOT more than I thought. Its happened to 80-90% of people that have replied so far. I have had a sheltered life!

• Advertisement

m.j.w wrote: »
    Either there are some tall tales here or this happens ALOT more than I thought. Its happened to 80-90% of people that have replied so far. I have had a sheltered life!

They're all out and out liars.

I was in front of a firing squad once and I wouldn't be here now if the knob giving the instructions hadn't given me one last wish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭hadepsx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

ejmaztec wrote: »
    They're all out and out liars.

I was in front of a firing squad once and I wouldn't be here now if the knob giving the instructions hadn't given me one last wish.

you had your hand on you penis, they thought you were going to smother them with sperm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

When I was about 13 some nutter came to the outside of school at lunch waving a knife and stick around.

Being kids everyone was just stood there laughing and shouting at him.

I was inside at the time and then he pulled a gun and walked inside. I was about half way down a 50 metre hall with no open doors.

Picture me bolting to the other end as this nutter waved the gun around talking to himself.

Two teachers came and tackled him.

Turned out to be a replica but was ****ting it at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Yes.........brits used to point them at the car at checkpoints in the north back in the 80's.

I was only a lad so to me it was normal to see an army man crouched in a hedge aiming at your dad's car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Pfft, a gun pointed at you, big deal. It's when they start firing, that's the killer.

*thinks about Nam*

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Yes.

Nothing more to add? Something for the grown-ups on here to parse over?

I think the OP might've had a few anecdotes in mind when asking the question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

It's to be expected that most have said they had. It be a pretty crappy thread if it was 80-90% people saying they hadn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Yup. One time I was cutting through a fairly dodgy estate to get back to my own in liverpool, couple of lads, one of them point a shotgun at me, asked for wallet, keys, phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Well people who haven't are less likely to reply, if they did it would be 99 Nos for every yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Pfft, a gun pointed at you, big deal. It's when they start firing, that's the killer.

*thinks about Nam*

'They told me I'd get a big parade when I came back from Nam, but instead they spat on me'

http://i.imgur.com/5KXWxl.jpg

you had your hand on you penis, they thought you were going to smother them with sperm.

No, that was the execution next door, I was the one who asked for a free helicopter flight.:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

A gatda friend tells a story of travelling along the border in the 80s as the passenger in a patrol car in the wee small hours. Hedging along the road parted and a combat wearing volunteer stepped onto the road wielding an ak47. Silence in the car for a few hundred metres, til the driver turns to my buddy and asks "did u just see what I saw ?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Just yesterday in work. Had an array of guns pointed at me. Unloaded though. Only once so far with a loaded weapon. A G36 but wasn't just at me. Was pointed at a few of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I did once; by the Armed Response Unit.

Used to do a bit of airsofting with a few of the lads before; and I'd left my new AK in one of the lads houses (Only lived about 150 meters away in a quiet estate). Whenever I went down to him I'd forget to bring the case for it to bring it back up home. So one day he was dropping up and decided to bring it with him; alas one of the new neighbours in the area was ex-army, and saw him walking up the road with the AK by his side. (Everyone else in the estate knows that we used to Airsoft). When he arrives up, I put the gun away. And we sit down and have a cuppa coffee.

About 10 minutes later I hear a knock at the door and see the ARU And nearly every detective in Limerick at my front door! They asked if I had a weapon and I showed em though to it, while they searched the house. (Just to be safe on their behalf) got chatting to one of em, and he gave me his gun to look at! (Sure raid the house for nothing, and let me mess around with his!)

Luckily I knew one of the uniformed guards that were there, who lived in the area when I was growing up, he was a lot quicker to understand then the rest of em! :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement