Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ever had a gun pointed at you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭shane.

yep, little kids in rio pulled a gun on me! u never know how your gonna react til it happens, i grabbed him and starting screaming at him and he ran off, very stupid thing to do in all honesty

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭shane.

Just yesterday in work. Had an array of guns pointed at me. Unloaded though. Only once so far with a loaded weapon. A G36 but wasn't just at me. Was pointed at a few of us.

were you playing call of duty online!? team deathmatch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Thinking about it I was 16 courting a sweet beautiful girl, I called to her abode, tipped on her bedroom window, we were talking for 20-30 mins, I was trying to get her to follow me to the promise land,

while she was happy to follow, her oul fella stepped out the back door with the shoot gun, bang, he said the first is a warning the second will be to your nuts,

needless to say (it was not recorded) but I bettered usain bolts world record,

the 2nd was out side a chippy, two guys got out of a van and approached me with a shot gun, telling me I was history, I sharted and tried to hide behind a bus stop pole, I pummeled them with chips,

never underestimate the power of chips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

shane. wrote: »
    yep, little kids in rio pulled a gun on me! u never know how your gonna react til it happens, i grabbed him and starting screaming at him and he ran off, very stupid thing to do in all honesty

Here ?

Rio Guest House Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

Thinking about it I was 16 courting a sweet beautiful girl, I called to her abode, tipped on her bedroom window, we were talking for 20-30 mins, I was trying to get her to follow me to the promise land,

while she was happy to follow, her oul fella stepped out the back door with the shoot gun, bang, he said the first is a warning the second will be to your nuts,

needless to say (it was not recorded) but I bettered usain bolts world record,

the 2nd was out side a chippy, two guys got out of a van and approached me with a shot gun, telling me I was history, I sharted and tried to hide behind a bus stop pole, I pummeled them with chips,

never underestimate the power of chips.

Are you drunk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

Yes. I got on the wrong side of a very drunken security guard. We had an argument over something he thought I had done. I got angry and turned to walk away- he cocked his gun, pointed it at the back of my head and threatened to shoot me if I moved. I got angrier so I turned around and threatened him (yes, I know, stupid). I was saved by the presidential guard who had been watching the entire unfortunate debacle unfold from some secret vantage point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

i am the one who knocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

soap1978 wrote: »
    i am the one who knocks

Good man Walther.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Biggins wrote: »
    Yes.

Yawn.

• Advertisement

weiland79 wrote: »
    Are you drunk?

No, why would you think i am, it is all true, ask the white knight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

On a stag do a few years ago to Germany we had to stop on the way out and back in London Stansted. One of the guys brought back something dodgy. Nothing like having 3 English police men with MP5's pointed at us as they read us our rights.

I want to hear the stories where the trigger was pulled and you survived, for me the chippy story, the trigger was pulled I just got lucky.

I was told 2 weeks later, mistaken identity, fook blow the pictures up.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 bbm1

I'm from South Armagh so its nearly a day to day thing getting the gun pointed at you from the police! I remember getting guns pointed at me when the solders where still here! Still unsure why they thought that a 6 year old would be such a threat to trained british solders with guns that they needed to point them at us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

During my student years had a gun pointed at myself and a few mates by Italian railway police for locking ourselves into a booked train compartment. None of us knew the language. Someone who knew Italian broke up the commotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

I want to hear the stories where the trigger was pulled and you survived, for me the chippy story, the trigger was pulled I just got lucky.

I was told 2 weeks later, mistaken identity, fook blow the pictures up.

Maybe it's me that's drunk.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Fixing Good

Itwasntme. wrote: »
    Yes. I got on the wrong side of a very drunken security guard. We had an argument over something he thought I had done. I got angry and turned to walk away- he cocked his gun, pointed it at the back of my head and threatened to shoot me if I moved. I got angrier so I turned around and threatened him (yes, I know, stupid). I was saved by the presidential guard who had been watching the entire unfortunate debacle unfold from some secret vantage point.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18576_5-ridiculous-gun-myths-everyone-believes-thanks-to-movies_p2.html

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

I'm thinking one Cody Jarrett hasn't...

not unless it was at himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

Few times - used to live in a rural area in the UK, and the quiet dead-end lanes that were perfect for helping young ladies adjust their underwear tended to be private property, and the property owners tended to be very nervous and very protective. So it wasn't unusual to get a knock on the steamed-up window by someone wielding a shotgun.

Also, border crossings and traveling off the beaten track in third-world countries tend to be a bit gun-pointy.
    (Crossing the Uzbekistan border a guard who was losing at Connect Four gently reminded me that he had a loaded AK47, and would like to win)

Also when i first came to Ireland and had to drive up to Donegal, we had to drive through the North, and through several army check-points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

I thought I'd never be asked this question on boards. I have been shot at when I did some repo work for a bud's recovery company back in Texas. However, those incidents did not frighten me nearly so much as an incident back in college.

I had a very attractive GF back in university in Caifornia. So hot that I looked past most of her faults. As you do, you come to realize just how insane she is as the days pass, and it eventually comes the time you decide you need to break off the relationship simply to maintain your own sanity. Until then, it's a crazy fun ride though.

So, one evening, after some particularly spirited fun up in my room, I realize I can not drag her along any more and I finally decide the insanity must end as she's preparing to head out. Usually girls breakup with me because I am the crazy one, or they realize they can do better. So, I really didn't feel as much guilt as I probably should have. In any case, she was smoking hot, so I knew she'd find someone far more attractive than me in short order. So, we get to talking and I eventually begin to say stupid stuff like, "It's not you, it's me...", when she opens up my nightstand and starts to reach in.

I had been living in Texas before I moved to Cali for College. So I had not only brought my pick-up, but also my handgun. It's just something you do as a Texan - you keep a handgun in the night stand and think nothing of it. I had never told her about it. I assume she had been poking around my room when I wasn't there. That explains the missing CD's and spare change...

Before I could even blink, she was leveling my Glock 9mm pistol at me, "What stops me from shooting you right here, right now? Is this loaded? Feels heavy...", she hissed coldly.

I blinked. She was looking at me and the handgun in turn. Her finger was on the trigger.

"Or maybe we can just see where this relationship goes?", is all I could struggle to get out in reply.

She looked at me like she couldn't believe what I had just said. Then a look somewhere between pain, anger, and disgust came across her face. The gun shook in her hands momentarily, pointing directly at my chest. In a split second she jerked it toward her face. At just that exact moment I had preemptively resigned to leap at her and try for the gun.

It was fortunate for us both then, as I managed to wrestle it out of her hands before she shot herself in the face. She had such a beautiful face, too. The gun was loaded and chambered. Glocks do not have a conventional safety like some other pistols, and pulling the trigger would have discharged a round. We were fortunate the gun didn't go off during the brief struggle for it.

After our bodies managed to purge the tremendous amount of adrenaline dumped into our blood streams during that brief moment, we nearly collapsed. Exhausted, she came back to her senses and apologized to me. We both apologized.

Eventually, as time passed, we would run in to each other here and there on campus. We never mentioned the episode ever again. She is now a LinkdIn friend, and doing just fine in southern California. We exchange emails several times a year. She looks better than ever. She's still single, though...

I no longer keep a handgun in the nightstand, either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

humberklog wrote: »
    Nothing more to add? Something for the grown-ups on here to parse over?

I think the OP might've had a few anecdotes in mind when asking the question.

The thing is with Biggins, well it's secret. Unknown & dangerous.

No explanations are needed or expected, cos we're all expected to know all his history by pure innuendo & by his alleged massive sexual prowess.

How can one man with such a risky & busy lifestyle post so much on boards.ie?

Answers on a postcard please.:)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Nothing more to add? Something for the grown-ups on here to parse over?

I think the OP might've had a few anecdotes in mind when asking the question.
    Yawn.
    The thing is with Biggins, well it's secret. Unknown & dangerous.

No explanations are needed or expected, cos we're all expected to know all his history by pure innuendo & by his alleged massive sexual prowess.

How can one man with such a risky & busy lifestyle post so much on boards.ie?

Answers on a postcard please.:)

I will simply say this.

If anyone has an issue why I'm currently not posting further information its because of a current matter out of my hands but is one that mods are aware of.
    Take your concerns to them and stop the stupid childish sniping.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Sorcha16

Moved to the Limerick forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭johndoe99

was at a friends house about 25 years back, his elder brother whom was into hunting etc, pretended to put shells into the shotgun, he aimed it at me and pulled the trigger. I was 12 at the time and he was in his early 30s. I never told anyone that before, not even my parents.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I will simply say this.

If anyone has an issue why I'm currently not posting further information its because of a current matter out of my hands but is one that mods are aware of.

Surely most grown up people in this position you say your in would not post anything on such a thread:confused:

Anyway enough of this nonsense.

Surely most grown up people in this position you say your in would not post anything on such a thread:confused:
    Anyway enough of this nonsense.
    Take your issue with me to a mod here on After Hours please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

I will simply say this.

Hey, don't throw all your toys out of the pram.

If you have all this 'sensitive' information, surely you shouldn't be posting about it on the one of the biggest internet forums in the country.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Take your issue with me to a mod here on After Hours please.

I've no issue with you. But do with that post. It's daft.

Hey, don't throw all your toys out of the pram.

If you have all this 'sensitive' information, surely you shouldn't be posting about it on the one of the biggest internet forums in the country.

I posted "Yes".

Nothing more - nothing less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Reindeer wrote: »
    I thought I'd never be asked this question on boards. I have been shot at when I did some repo work for a bud's recovery company back in Texas. However, those incidents did not frighten me nearly so much as an incident back in college.

<snipped for brevity>

You are quite the wordsmith, sir.

/tips hat

I've no issue with you. But do with that post. It's daft.

There are REASONS - you need to discuss these matters with a mod.
    I have been requested by them to say nothing about the matter of why I cannot post more.
    Please have a chat with them. I'm asking you politely to do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Mod

Enough bickering please.

We have noticed a trend the last while and those involved will be contacted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

In answer to the OP's question, yes, twice in Belfast, once in Russia and once in Africa. On all occasions, I complied with the requests of the gun-holder, which is why I'm here today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Reindeer wrote: »

I had a very attractive GF back in university in Caifornia. So hot that I looked past most of her faults. As you do, you come to realize just how insane she is as the days pass, and it eventually comes the time you decide you need to break off the relationship simply to maintain your own sanity. Until then, it's a crazy fun ride though.

So, one evening, after some particularly spirited fun up in my room, I realize I can not drag her along any more and I finally decide the insanity must end as she's preparing to head out. Usually girls breakup with me because I am the crazy one, or they realize they can do better. So, I really didn't feel as much guilt as I probably should have. In any case, she was smoking hot, so I knew she'd find someone far more attractive than me in short order. So, we get to talking and I eventually begin to say stupid stuff like, "It's not you, it's me...", when she opens up my nightstand and starts to reach in.

I had been living in Texas before I moved to Cali for College. So I had not only brought my pick-up, but also my handgun. It's just something you do as a Texan - you keep a handgun in the night stand and think nothing of it. I had never told her about it. I assume she had been poking around my room when I wasn't there. That explains the missing CD's and spare change...

Before I could even blink, she was leveling my Glock 9mm pistol at me, "What stops me from shooting you right here, right now? Is this loaded? Feels heavy...", she hissed coldly.

I blinked. She was looking at me and the handgun in turn. Her finger was on the trigger.

"Or maybe we can just see where this relationship goes?", is all I could struggle to get out in reply.

She looked at me like she couldn't believe what I had just said. Then a look somewhere between pain, anger, and disgust came across her face. The gun shook in her hands momentarily, pointing directly at my chest. In a split second she jerked it toward her face. At just that exact moment I had preemptively resigned to leap at her and try for the gun.

It was fortunate for us both then, as I managed to wrestle it out of her hands before she shot herself in the face. She had such a beautiful face, too. The gun was loaded and chambered. Glocks do not have a conventional safety like some other pistols, and pulling the trigger would have discharged a round. We were fortunate the gun didn't go off during the brief struggle for it.

After our bodies managed to purge the tremendous amount of adrenaline dumped into our blood streams during that brief moment, we nearly collapsed. Exhausted, she came back to her senses and apologized to me. We both apologized.

Eventually, as time passed, we would run in to each other here and there on campus. We never mentioned the episode ever again. She is now a LinkdIn friend, and doing just fine in southern California. We exchange emails several times a year. She looks better than ever. She's still single, though...

I no longer keep a handgun in the nightstand, either.

Cool story bro, Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

No, but I held a gun to a man's head. Then I shot him, just to watch him die.

Ah Reno, good times.

Could be a replica.. in which case I would replicate the mutilation I'd carry out on that person if it were real?

would cute hoor my way out of it then puncture and bludgeon person to death, if not immediately then eventually that's how it works right... if you live by the gun then you will die; for my fun. In such an instance i would be a grudge harbouring, retributive psycopath with time on my hands aka couldn't possibly fathom it?!! Would be wholly, wholly offended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Thread has gone to shite.

(G)locked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Okay, I've deleted a few of the most recent de-railing posts and am re-opening this as it could be a decent thread.

Fair warning though: The next person to drag this thread off-topic with more of the shite that Micky warned about earlier in the thread *will* be getting a ban.

Ready. Aim. Fire...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

Ha. Tl; dr (most of it). All I know is that there was the typical gun cocking sound you hear in the movies, followed by the guy threatening to shoot if I moved.

You're pointing a gun at me right now, aren't you... *plays cute hoor*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Okay, I've deleted a few of the most recent de-railing posts and am re-opening this as it could be a decent thread.

Fair warning though: The next person to drag this thread off-topic with more of the shite that Micky warned about earlier in the thread *will* be getting a ban.

Ready. Aim. Fire...

Tempted to test your accuracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Nah, not really. Once, though, I went into a friend's house and he brought me to his living. Once we walked in he strolled straight over to his mantlepiece, took down this rifle that was hung over it and wordlessly swung around to point it at my face and pulled the trigger. It wasn't loaded, he just wanted to get a reaction.

I feel like I've been violated.

op do you even own a replica?!

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Flynn

Got kidnapped in Bolivia in 2008. Myself and the girlfriend at the time were held for two days handcuffed & blindfolded and at gun point for our waking hours. The whole thing was terrifying and they were all bad cvnts (there was about 7 or 8 in total) but there was one or 2 guys that really scared the **** out of me. One would just stare and stare. Mainly at my girlfriend. Evil eyes just burning into her. You knew exactly what he was thinking. The other evil bastard took the bullets out of the gun at one stage, placed two in my hand closed my fist around them and said something along the lines of "these will go through your girlfriends head if you try anything" then took them out of my hand put them back in the gun, cocked the hammer and stuck it in my eye for "effect"

Needless to say we got out safe and sound!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

There's more gun crime on this thread than there has been reported in the last ten years id say.

Bolivia does sound f'n terrifying though... It's that climate of kidnapping, with or without guns we can't let set in. The kids, driving now one of their favourite pranks is to do this... I guess it's just the nature of gansterism which only arrived here with said genre. Even without the guns they'll play the hogtie pranks, or driving to 'undisclosed location' for 'u know what' ain't it cute... else maybe I'm just exposed to too much crimlinality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Had people swing them in my direction before, but always an accident and just a case of bad discipline.

One time really pissed me off though. Someone deliberately pointed a shotgun at me without even checking if it was unloaded. Even if they had checked it's still a big no no, but the fcuker than had the brass gonads to say if they had shot me it would have been the owners fault for having it loaded.

The term 'safety is everyone's responsibility' means nothing to some people.

Had a, 'love gun' pointed in my direction if that is what you are referring to...

most unsettling, only had a low voltage tazer on me.. some people are packing is all I can say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Not in a dangerous way. I had a friend who lives in the country and decided the best way to prove he was sober (he actually wasn't drinking) was to demonstrate his shooting prowess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Yes. Sitting near the front of the Abbey during a production of The Plough And The Stars. At many parts of the play, the cast were pointing guns out at me. It was a little intimidating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Yes, by my brother!

Our uncle has a bunch of replica guns in his house and when we were younger we used think it great fun running around with a replica Thompson or Schmeisser machine guns, 'shooting' each other. One day I'm out 'on patrol' in the field behind the uncles house when my brother stands up from where he was hiding
    "Bang, got ya"
    I turned around and he's pointing a .22 rifle at me.
    "Ehhhmmmm.... XXXX, you know that's the REAL gun, right?"
    He went pale, dropped it and begged me to promise not to tell the uncle or our parents.

So I dunno if that counts OP, it was a real gun, but not loaded, and not with malicious intent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement