Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ever had a gun pointed at you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Happened to me twice, once a Czech cop - drawn in anger and once a pissed off civilian on New Years Eve.
    Just yesterday in work. Had an array of guns pointed at me. Unloaded though. Only once so far with a loaded weapon. A G36 but wasn't just at me. Was pointed at a few of us.

Your colleague needs basic gun safety training.
    Reindeer wrote: »
    . The gun was loaded and chambered. Glocks do not have a conventional safety like some other pistols, and pulling the trigger would have discharged a round.

Holy crap dude, why did you keep it chambered??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I was stopped by the Brazilian Military Police in Sao Paolo. They got out of the car and ran towards me waving guns and shouting in Portuguese. I didn't understand what they wanted me to do which might have made it look like I was being defiant - I guess my look of fear saved me. Finally they understood I didn't speak Portuguese. Quick search and checked my ID.

I was putting my phone in my pocket just before they stopped the car and after they searched me they said something in Portuguese I understood to mean "it's just a phone". It was dark and I think maybe one of the guys thought I put either a gun or drugs into my pocket (rather than a phone) - weird I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭JayzuzHowiye

Once while walking home about 3 years ago in West Dublin.

Was about 10pm one night, it was raining, I seen a car stopped outside my place, and a guy walking from it with what I believed was an umbrella, nope, it was a sawn off double barrel shotgun.

He preceded to kick the **** out of me with it thinking I was someone else, and then let off two shots, just to the left of me. The blast marks are still on the path outside today. Strange thing was I knew who he was straight away, and he didn't exactly live very far from me. Dumbass.

Got a fright, house was shot at a week later, presumably to warn me to keep quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

up the north few years ago,think eveyone up there has had a gun pointed at them at this stage if it counts!

Yea the bounty hunter style late night traffic cops in Hanoi stopped me before by pulling up beside me and pointing a gun at me.. They talked for a minute and drove off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

We had just opened a restaurant in clontarf, the first night open.
    We were having a glass of wine after service and this guy walked in, closed the door behind him and pulled out a really long shotgun, pointed it at me, put us under the table, robbed the till, walked us out of the restaurant into the back yard, Locked us out there and walked off.
    I'm no withering flower but that **** me up. The 17 yr old waitress who he put the gun to her head didn't bat an eyelid

Btw, I probably shouldn't be saying this, but I have it on very good authority that biggins is head of the task force set up to catch Trent :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Twice that I can think of - walking home from primary school and about ten British Army saracens come thundering down the street and got backed up in the shopping traffic. One dude sitting in the open doorway of one takes aim at me with his SLR - quite unnerving for a nine year old.

Good bit older, into the mid eighties, and walking down the street when one of those heroes from the UDR took aim at me with his SA80 through a telescopic sight - was walking in his direction for about fifty yards and he was down on one knee with it trained on me the whole time - simply stared at the ground and walked on - again not the most comfortable of feelings if I'm honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,112 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yes by a scary looking small man child in Thailand. was funny afterwards because i couldnt understand him and he couldnt understand me so he just drove of on his Honda 50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Yakult wrote: »
    No, but my friends have unknowingly :D While they were out in the field kicking ball I was upstairs in my uncles house, staring at them through the scope of a M21. Unloaded of course!

How completely normal !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Yup, posted a thread about it on here.

Was working in a pharmacy and a guy came in looking for sleeping tablets and the gun was his prescription. Date in court early next year. Can't wait for him to get his comeuppance.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

I was a customer involved in two different bank raids in the same one horse town in the midlands. The first one involved me walking in the door of an AIB just as the raiders ran straight into me. They waved a gun at me , I ducked out and turned straight up the alley way beside the bank to find the get away car coming for me. By this stage the raiders are behind me with a gun and the get away car is coming for me from the front. I burned that pair of drawers.
    Less than a year later i was to sole customer at the cashiers window of Ulster Bank when a nice Nordy chap with a sawn off strolls in and orders me into the safe where i was locked up for an hour with all the female staff.
    I preferred the second incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Yup.

Three times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Yup.

Three times.

A little more info please. Have we not learned anything from the biggins debacle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

weiland79 wrote: »
    A little more info please. Have we not learned anything from the biggins debacle.

Not aware of any debacle. I don't lurk that much.

Twice from imeciles unused to handling loaded guns, pointing them at me for ****s and giggles (never point a gun at anything you don't intend to destroy, and keep your finger off the ****ing trigger). Soon as they dropped the gun, i gave them a belt around the temple.

The last time was unloaded and for use in filming a short film.

There have been plenty of other times, been hunting and someone will without thinking pass the barrel over my legs or something.

I'm not for gun control, but i would love some mandatory handling training for those who do get one.

No, never... I'm very boring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

twice.

first time in Thailand. I refused to pay a taxi driver as he brought me to the wrong place.
    after walking 50 feet down the road, about 10 locals on taxi bikes turned up. one produced a gun and started shouting at me.
    I quickly opened my wallet and paid the taxi driver more than I should have.

lesson learned..

second time a few weeks back when armed gardai raided my apartment looking for the previous tenants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Flynn wrote: »
    Got kidnapped in Bolivia in 2008. Myself and the girlfriend at the time were held for two days handcuffed & blindfolded and at gun point for our waking hours. The whole thing was terrifying and they were all bad cvnts (there was about 7 or 8 in total) but there was one or 2 guys that really scared the **** out of me. One would just stare and stare. Mainly at my girlfriend. Evil eyes just burning into her. You knew exactly what he was thinking. The other evil bastard took the bullets out of the gun at one stage, placed two in my hand closed my fist around them and said something along the lines of "these will go through your girlfriends head if you try anything" then took them out of my hand put them back in the gun, cocked the hammer and stuck it in my eye for "effect"

Needless to say we got out safe and sound!

Qualify that please.

With some newspaper coverage if possible......(or did it never make it to the press).....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

twice.

first time in Thailand. I refused to pay a taxi driver as he brought me to the wrong place.
    after walking 50 feet down the road, about 10 locals on taxi bikes turned up. one produced a gun and started shouting at me.
    I quickly opened my wallet and paid the taxi driver more than I should have.

lesson learned..

same thing happend to me
    except it was in bulgaria
    and he over charged me 60 quid
    gun straight to me face
    he was drunk as well
    gave him over 100 quid
    he said have a good day

never been their since that was about 4-5 years ago was only young

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I've held one but never had one pointed at me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Twice that I can think of - walking home from primary school and about ten British Army saracens come thundering down the street and got backed up in the shopping traffic. One dude sitting in the open doorway of one takes aim at me with his SLR - quite unnerving for a nine year old.

Good bit older, into the mid eighties, and walking down the street when one of those heroes from the UDR took aim at me with his SA80 through a telescopic sight - was walking in his direction for about fifty yards and he was down on one knee with it trained on me the whole time - simply stared at the ground and walked on - again not the most comfortable of feelings if I'm honest.
    The Brits were always doing that. They'd use the excuse of using the sight of the SA80 as a telescope to get a better look at someone but this would mean pointing a loaded assault weapon at a civilian. There was a famous photo from round the late eighties of a Brit pointing his rifle at a woman in Belfast from not two foot away.

The first black man I can recall seeing was a Brit soldier who pointed his SLR at me through the window of our car when we were stopped at a checkpoint outside Newry in the 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

Yes ,

a loaded and jammed semi auto .22 , my mates fathers gun , we were 17 and went out the country shooting sign posts . the gun jammed so we stopped on a bridge while my friend tried to "fix it" by hitting it . 2 of us are sitting side by side , i'm smoking a ciggie and turn and my mate has gun pointed (unknowing to him) into my side and he is hammerfisting the mag/trigger area . i turn and ask him to move gun , he moves barrel away from my side and continues to strike gun , gun goes off . we laugh and continue shooting signs and caravans across the river .

I was hanging out at a childhood friend's house, when we were about 10, and they vanished saying they were going to get something. Next time the guy tells me to turn around, which I do and come face-to-face with the barrel of a shotgun. I tell him to put it away and he pulls the trigger...

Thankfully his father had ensured that the bullets were always kept locked away from the gun and it was always unloaded, otherwise I probably wouldn't be here right now.

two 16 year olds were doing that not far from where i live , one pointed the gun and the others head and pulled the trigger and blew his face off , one died and the other has to live with it .

it's good when you can look back and laugh about it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I used to think all the soldiers in the North were great fun. I hated being taken on shopping trips, but at least if it was one up North there was the checkpoint and the patrols to look forward to. It seems a bit unreal to think about it now.
    Having the death end of someone's boomstick pointed at you loses a bit of its charm when you're a little older.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

We had just opened a restaurant in clontarf, the first night open.
    We were having a glass of wine after service and this guy walked in, closed the door behind him and pulled out a really long shotgun, pointed it at me, put us under the table, robbed the till, walked us out of the restaurant into the back yard, Locked us out there and walked off.
    I'm no withering flower but that **** me up. The 17 yr old waitress who he put the gun to her head didn't bat an eyelid

Btw, I probably shouldn't be saying this, but I have it on very good authority that biggies is head of the task force set up to catch Trent :-)

Maybe she was in on the whole thing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Woke up in a double bed one morning with my friend and three women and had two armed Gardaí take my friend away. Think they had small machine guns with straps on them. I wouldn't be very knowalable about guns bar ones I used in the FCA.

Same street several months before the above I was stopped and the guards had a gun but it was nothing personal, they were looking for someone and I reckon they got spooked because the guy I was walking with had a previous for possession of a firearm.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

I think a lot of people on this thread live in walterland.
    Armed police dont run into buildings with guns drawn and point them at everyone the same with armed cops at airports. They may have an MP5 on thier shoulder but it is a huge deal for them to draw it they are all highly trained and would never draw there weapons in 99.99 per cent of the scenarios described here.
    In fact this thread makes for a good point for banning guns completley there are a lot of people here who from what they describe have shown immense immaturity when it comes to guns. both the owners and the kids etc.

This thread is shennanigans. nearly as bad as my spelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I think a lot of people on this thread live in walterland.
    Armed police dont run into buildings with guns drawn and point them at everyone the same with armed cops at airports. They may have an MP5 on thier shoulder but it is a huge deal for them to draw it they are all highly trained and would never draw there weapons in 99.99 per cent of the scenarios described here.
    In fact this thread makes for a good point for banning guns completley there are a lot of people here who from what they describe have shown immense immaturity when it comes to guns. both the owners and the kids etc.

This thread is shennanigans. nearly as bad as my spelling.

you don't know, you weren't there man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Wow all these stories and nothing on the newspaper to back them. Not. One. Article. Some of these stories, like the Bolivian one could have at least been made into a movie, or at least a ten line segment on the the daily mail.
    Some peoples stories just aren't glamourous enough I suppose.

My bullet dodging life is so excited i now spend all my time on BOARDS.IE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

charlemont wrote: »
    Woke up in a double bed one morning with my friend and three women and had two armed Gardaí take my friend away. Think they had small machine guns on so with straps on them. I wouldn't be very knowalable about guns bar ones I used in the FCA.

Same street several months before the above I was stopped and the guards had a gun but it was nothing personal, they were looking for someone and I reckon they got spooked because the guy I was walking with had a previous for possession of a firearm.

Giuseppe Conlon! Is that you? Giuseppes alive Mon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Yup, worked in an off licence during college, one night just before ten when we were about to close and shop was empty two lads came in, one with a gun the other with a knife.

Luckily I'd just dropped most of the notes into the floor safe so they only got away with about 80 euro, some vodka and some John Player Lights (they asked for smokes and we could never sell those fecking John Player lights so saw it as a decent opportunity to shift a load of them).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Frisbee wrote: »
    Luckily I'd just dropped most of the notes into the floor safe so they only got away with about 80 euro, some vodka and some John Player Lights (they asked for smokes and we could never sell those fecking John Player lights so saw it as a decent opportunity to shift a load of them).

Given that its not your off licence, why would you care if they got away with €80,000 or €80? Its not your money. The insurance company would pay for it. I'd see that as almost incidental from your point of view......the big thing being that....luckily..... they didnt shoot you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

cursai wrote: »
    Giuseppe Conlon! Is that you? Giuseppes alive Mon!

Just wrong places-wrong times and more importantly- wrong associates..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Despite the fact that I don't lead a particularly dangerous life, I've had guns pointed at me twice.

Once with some level of malice - more threat than malice I suppose.

Once as a joke. It was not a funny joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Given that its not your off licence, why would you care if they got away with €80,000 or €80? Its not your money. The insurance company would pay for it. I'd see that as almost incidental from your point of view......the big thing being that....luckily..... they didnt shoot you.

Because the company that ran the place were complete assholes and definitely would have fired me if there had been too much cash in the till. They were really really anal about not having more than 100 in the till at any time and would do spot checks etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Buying e in Ballymun about 12 years ago. Between leaving a certain nightclub and going to a party. Scared the hell out of me. Didn't affect the rest of my night though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

charlemont wrote: »
    Woke up in a double bed one morning with my friend and three women and had two armed Gardaí take my friend away. Think they had small machine guns with straps on them. I wouldn't be very knowalable about guns bar ones I used in the FCA.

Strap-ons? Seems an appropriate response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

Yes,once., My Father had a shotgun, my brother was pestering him to let him hold it. After a lengthy lecture about Never, ever, ever, point a gun a someone my brother grabbed the gun, pointed it at me, and shouted "hands up"!!!.

N.B.
    The beating my father gave him is legendary to this day!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭TwoTokeTommy

Yes. Cop in America stopped me coming home one night after work and first thing he did was point the feckin thing straight at me. Guess he was surprised to see "an Irish" in a little town in the middle of nowhere.

He demanded my leprechaun gold. I had none. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Flynn

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Qualify that please.

With some newspaper coverage if possible......(or did it never make it to the press).....

Should I have to? Kidnappings are a weekly occurrence there. It was on the front page of Examiner, made about 3 other tabloids and I also did a piece on Gerry Ryan. If you fancy googling it be my guest but i'm not here to 'prove' anything to you. I just answered the OP's question like everyone else is doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

Yep, once in Hamburg in Germany. I was living near the airport for a year (which is also, coincidentally near a high security prison). I was walking home one winters night in from the metro station. Had my hoody on, hood up, hands in the belly pocket, keeping myself warm and minding my own business. First i saw a police car driving the opposite direction with lights and sirens. then a second. then a white van drove past me quite slowly, I didn't think too much of it, but then the van did a U-turn and drove beside me at walking pace for about 5 seconds whilst shining a flashlight at me. Finally I stopped and faced the van and said "what?!". Immediatly two policemen emerged. The second I pulled my hands out of my hoody pocket, two guns were trained on me. *WELL, shit* i thought, and proceeded to raise my hands above my head very very slowly!

It's one thing to have a gun pointed at you, another to have two guns pointed at you in the pitch dark under the daze of a flashlight whilst two germans belt out "HALT, HANDEN HOCH!"

I've seen too much WW2 stuff to know that can't be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

In my case, on the one hand if I went into detail I would get huge kudos and laughs in equal measure. I disarmed the gun-toting perpetrator in a pretty unique manner. ie. If we had CCTV back in the day and youtube when the incident happened the footage would garner millions of views.

However, the 'genteman' won the court case on a technicality and went on to become someone who now controls business from the Costa. No matter how slim the risk, I don't want to get a knock on the door from one of his assosciates after besmirching his 'Reputation' with a story about how he was disarmed by a 17 year old kid back before he was a Mr Big. If I went into too much detail there would be no doubt who and what incident I was talking about in his mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Yes.

A shotgun, It was in my Dad's van after he got back from hunting with the gun club.

A friend of mine took it out and pointed it at me, it was awful. I believe the gun wasn't loaded (my Dad always unloaded the gun before coming home, safety was probably on also) but I still panicked big time and ran away, I was only 11 or 12 at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I was robbed at gunpoint several years ago. This was the only time that a 'criminal' has pointed a gun at me.

I also used to drink with several dozen police officers in the States. They have no sense of humour when drinking. I've had guns pulled on me several times in different settings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Calibos wrote: »
    In my case, on the one hand if I went into detail I would get huge kudos and laughs in equal measure. I disarmed the gun-toting perpetrator in a pretty unique manner. ie. If we had CCTV back in the day and youtube when the incident happened the footage would garner millions of views.

However, the 'genteman' won the court case on a technicality and went on to become someone who now controls business from the Costa. No matter how slim the risk, I don't want to get a knock on the door from one of his assosciates after besmirching his 'Reputation' with a story about how he was disarmed by a 17 year old kid back before he was a Mr Big. If I went into too much detail there would be no doubt who and what incident I was talking about in his mind.

Would you tell us in a PM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I had a gun pulled on me very early one morning after arriving in London in the old days of coach-train-coach.

My heart stopped from fright for a few seconds, I was really stupid in those days, so I gave him a load of gip and called him every name under the sun. He started laughing and went.

Have no idea if the gun was real or not - but my reaction was ridiculously stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

you don't know, you weren't there man.

The same way most peole posting stories wern't either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭Feisar

Yes, by a person who should have better muzzle awareness/control. A 12 gauge a foot from ones face is a scary thing.

First they came for the socialists...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

All these "friends" who've pointed guns at boards.ies and not one of them ended up requiring medical attention? Loaded or no, I would batter someone for pointing a gun at me "as a joke". Fvcking moronic behaviour.

(To be fair, if they're the sort of psycho who might respond to the punches by using the gun with malice next time, I'm sure I'd simply mark it down to experience and avoid them from then on, but a normal person who was "only messing" would be getting a slap.

No, never had one pointed at me but I've never been anywhere *that* dangerous either.

Advertisement