Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSPCA Obedience Training..

• 07-10-2012 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi all..
    Thinking of enrolling my puppy into obedience training with the DSPCA.. Thought it'd be good to go somewhere where other dogs/animals would benefit as well as get my dog trained.. Does anyone know if they are any good?
    Seems weird that you don't bring the dog to the training classes.. So surely we could read online how to do it?!
    Thanks in advance for any replies...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I don't see the point tbh if you don't bring the dog?! How are they going to access how you work with the dog and decide what approach is best for you both if you're not there working together? Also I always found class to be a high distraction environment for my dog when he was younger (he's more focused now...usually lol) so getting him to work in that environment is good practice for when you're outside eg at the park. Maybe check out positive dog trainings classes?

Edit - actually just looking at it again - Is it not one seminar without the dogs and then normal classes with the dogs? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭SonOfAdam

It's only the first seminar you don't bring the dog to as tk123 pointed out.
    I did the good dog King of Paws* training with my little guy. I had him 4 months (he was about 18 months old) before doing the course and he wouldn't even sit, let alone anything else - he was dog aggressive and nervous of people and generally an embarrassment outside the house. At the end of the 5 weeks, he was a totally different dog; would take commands readily, not so nervous, a lot friendlier to other dogs etc. The course is based on positive affirmation; praising the good, ignoring when dog gets it wrong. They're also really helpful if you have any questions, even months after the course they were happy to respond to my emails with good advice. It was a little pricey at E135 for effectively 5 hours, not including the seminar but have to say, I'm a far happier pet owner now.

*have no interest other than being a satisfied customer

Advertisement