Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many "Oscillations" are there?

Options
  • 07-10-2012 10:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

In between the Ninas Ninos NAOs AO and other whatnots here are another two.

Can we perhaps produce a list of evey oscillation of note before we all get utterly confused with these lads.????

Today, introducing the AMO and the AMOC .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19848112

Apropos this pair.
    The study investigated a phenomenon known as the Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation - a cycle of change in which the waters either warm or cool over a period of several decades.
    The researchers compared three periods in this cycle: a warm state from 1931-60, a cool period from 1961-90 and the most recent warm period starting in 1990 and continuing now.
    The paper notes that conditions in the last warm period in the Atlantic are broadly similar to those observed now.

Meaning it could oscillate off and we could have proper summers again, niiiice. :) That other jobbie, the AMOC.

The oscillation is itself tied to another natural cycle known as the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation (AMOC) - a pattern of oceanic currents believed to be governed by an interplay of salt and freshwater, winds and tides, and possibly now also influenced by manmade greenhouse gases.
    The research did not attempt to explore the causes of the warm and cool phases in the Atlantic, focusing instead on what it means for our weather.
    Ice connection? Last month we reported on the possible impact of the reduction in Arctic sea-ice on weather patterns.
    Professor Sutton said that "clearly there is a link between Atlantic warming and Arctic sea ice though the details are not well understood."

I declare there will be another one along next week and we will surely need a sticky....but for now kepp throwing them into this thread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    In between the Ninas Ninos NAOs AO and other whatnots here are another two.

Can we perhaps produce a list of evey oscillation of note before we all get utterly confused with these lads.????

Today, introducing the AMO and the AMOC .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19848112

Apropos this pair.
    Meaning it could oscillate off and we could have proper summers again, niiiice. :) That other jobbie, the AMOC.
    I declare there will be another one along next week and we will surely need a sticky....but for now kepp throwing them into this thread.

You're only scratching the surface! Here's a few more to keep you occupied for a while
    Pacific Decadal Oscillation (PDO)
    Slightly more known El Nino Southern Oscillation (ENSO)
    Madden Julian Oscillation (MJO)
    Global Wind Oscillation (GWO)
    Quasi-Biennial Oscillation (QBO)
    Indian Ocean Dipole (IOD)
    Arctic Dipole Anomaly (commonly called the DA)

Plenty more out there!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I'm going to keep them pesky snow bunnies fed with OOO based predictions from now to February see how long it takes them to post it on other forums. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

How long is a piece of string? :D

There are teleconnections aplenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Here is another one PNA [Pacific north American Oscillation]:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

More info here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Nice piece here which collects most of the important ones when one is doing a winter forecast. Note on each. As many of the Oscillations are referred to a lot around here at this time of year it is a good and timely collection. AO ENSO NAO and the big daddy of them all, the NINO :p

http://willcooperweather.weebly.com/uploads/1/0/8/3/10837558/long_range_forecast_winter_2012-13_full_report.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I have a list of over 300 others, spending a lot of time working on the computer programming for a synthesis of them. I suspect they incorporate the known high profile oscillations but introduce other parts of natural variation.

I realize what this describes is more of a signal than an oscillation, but the logic of application to forecasting is about the same. Of these 300 or more signals, the majority have amplitudes of about 0.5 C deg. Some are over 1.0 C and some are as small as 0.1 C over their durations. Those durations range from a few days to a few years.

You might think I would need a supercomputer to keep track of this, but it's not that challenging for the capacity of a home computer and a standard data program. However, not close enough to the end of this project to form any really strong opinions on accuracy or reliability. This is probably a double to quadruple version of the research I had completed and discussed here and elsewhere by about 2010. The most encouraging part of it in progress is timing of signals, perhaps this past summer demonstrated that part. My actual forecasting at present is lagging behind the work in that it takes one amount of time to isolate signals for study and a second amount of time and effort to incorporate the results into existing programs.

Advertisement