Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identify this plant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

page not found when you click the links

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

pawrick wrote: »
    page not found when you click the links

Working now, but I don't know what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Might be a willow of some sort and if so it looks like its been grafted and if so the basal shoots are very vigerous, possibly coming from the root stock, and should be removed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I would guess either some kind of gum (eucalyptus) or a member of the cherry laurel family (prunus laurocerasus).

Looks like very strong growth below the graft as Oldtree has mentioned. This will eventually take over if not attended to.

Don't buy this particular one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Didn't think it was worth opening a new thread for; does anyone have any idea what this is? It come up in the last couple of months, the area was, until recently, overshadowed by a tree and any amount of seeds seem to have been biding their time. It looks a bit like a cabbage palm to me.

picture.php?albumid=1626&pictureid=14060

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Looks a lot like cabbage palm/cordyline to me too but they wouldn't normally seed - was there one here previously or did you bring in some soil where there could have been root fragments?
    Either way, you can easily move it if you want to - or it will grow away happily where it is. It may be a bit too close to the wall but you'll be able to judge that better yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭The Garden Shop

The first picture is probably the Portuguese laurel

The bottom image is a Cordaline - probably regrowing for the root of one which died in the recent cold winters

Well, I've lived in the house more than 10 years and there was never a cordaline there; until about 3 months ago there was a pyrocanthus overshadowing everything and nothing would grow there.

A couple of months ago I bought some plants and compost from Johnstown garden centre. It's a bit too far from the plants for it to have hitch-hiked in in one of their pots, would it be possible for it to have come in in the compost?

I might dig it up and bring it down to my parents; I've never been a big fan of cordalines.

in the foreground of the picture there is a phormium? the one with the red and green leaves? Phormiums and cordalines are very similar when young and phormiums can spread by underground roots (rhizomes)

If you are going to dig it up check to see if there is a root system linking the two plants.

Im not a fan of cordalines either! (but i do like phormiums)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

kylith wrote: »
    I've never been a big fan of cordalines.

"big fan" chuckle chuckle :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Willow spp

in the foreground of the picture there is a phormium? the one with the red and green leaves? Phormiums and cordalines are very similar when young and phormiums can spread by underground roots (rhizomes)

If you are going to dig it up check to see if there is a root system linking the two plants.

Im not a fan of cordalines either! (but i do like phormiums)
    It is a phormium. 'Jester' I think. It's only been in a couple of months, would it have spread so fast? I might hang onto it just in case so, I love phormiums. I'd like cordalines more if they were more like phormiums.

Phormiums definitely wouldn't spread that fast. In fact they hardly ever spread, i just thought this could have been a rare occasion when they did.. But not so.

Cant figure out how this ended up in your garden so.

Give it three years, if it start to grow a stem then its a cordaline! and then you can give it away,, :)

I just scraped around the end of it, it kind of looks like a bulb of some sort, but I didn't want to disturb it too much. Either way I figure I'll leave it be for now and if it gets massive, or I can figure out what it is, I'll deal with it then.

Advertisement