Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just quick check on parts before I order

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Swap the case to a Xigmatek Asgard or Bitfenix Merc, up the GPU to a HD7850, drop the motherboard down to a B75 pro3 (barely anyone ever upgrades to an unlocked i5/i7 from an i3) or maybe just go for an AMD FX8120 with a 970 pro3? Same price as the i3 with z77 I think, and I think the new Vishera processors from AMD will be using the AM3+ socket as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

I'm more inclined to go down the Intel path, unless the story between Intel vs AMD has changed in the past few months? And for the sake of 17euro I think I'll stick with the Z77 just so I can have the option to upgrade if I need it.
    The 6870 is probably enough power, its not going to be used as a heavy gaming build, just light. Some COD, TF2 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Sure the cheapest 7850 is €9 more. It'd be silly not to go for that.
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/1024+MB/62548/MSI+R7850-1GD5+OC%2C+1024MB+DDR5%2C+PCI-Express.article

The story between AMD and Intel is that AMD have made themselves a bit more competitive by lowering their prices and are worth considering again. Also worth thinking of is that 1155 will be finishing up while AM3+ should be going for a while longer. Mind you, it will probably be another two generations anyway by the time AMD can catch up, so it wouldn't make much difference if you upgrade path is a 3570K, unless they happen to disappear fast when they come to the end of their line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Monotype wrote: »
    Sure the cheapest 7850 is €9 more. It'd be silly not to go for that.
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/1024+MB/62548/MSI+R7850-1GD5+OC%2C+1024MB+DDR5%2C+PCI-Express.article

The story between AMD and Intel is that AMD have made themselves a bit more competitive by lowering their prices and are worth considering again. Also worth thinking of is that 1155 will be finishing up while AM3+ should be going for a while longer. Mind you, it will probably be another two generations anyway by the time AMD can catch up, so it wouldn't make much difference if you upgrade path is a 3570K, unless they happen to disappear fast when they come to the end of their line.

Ah, I was under the impression the 7850 was around the 200mark.
    Thanks, I'll use that so.

Advertisement