Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Lukes to Loughboy travel-possible??

Options
  • 07-10-2012 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

Sorry for being a bit hyperactive! But I have a friend of mine who got a job recently in Loughboy Estate opposite to Watershed. Would it be a better option rather than walking or cycling from St. Lukes? She will work from 11 to 15. It's shocking how the town lacks public transport!! Thank you!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

It's 4.2km, that's walkable in 45 mins or cycle in 15 mins, she get used to it. Unless she's not fully able-bodies tell her to make her own way. I honestly cannot understand the amount of people that refuse to walk more than a minute in this city, it's a mickey mouse town, you can walk from the edge to the centre in under half and hour.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Japer

Tell her to get a bike. I lived there a few years ago, and found a push-bike great for getting around. Cannot be breathalised on one too easily either;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Thank you lads! Only the amount of traffic worries me. Not easy to cross the Ring Road as a pedestrian. Probably getting a pushbike and a good rain gear soon! I wonder what route would cycle Captain yourself?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I work up by there frequently enough, if I was coming from the Freshford road, I'd head up High Street, this is where she'd meet my route, I head up by the castle, down Nuncio road, turn down by Larchfield, stop in the centra for supplies, go through Archer's Crescent, out by the Watershed and then you're at the roundabout. You need to be assertive on the bike, cycling on the footpath only makes you a wanker and cycling too close to the kerb makes you fodder for people who incorrectly think they pay road tax and you've no right to be there but always be respectful of all traffic on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

A decent pair of boots, anyone come too close kick the side of the car.
    So how does one secure the bike when you get to the said destination?
    There appear to be a lot of **** who have nothing better to do than steal bikes, despite the Gardai's best efforts the judiciary do not back them up and give suspended sentences, check the Boards forum about cycling.
    Buses are safer

• Advertisement

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSTmX9b1cfeuBlD4oMT082ECDWlwm2LRuznunoRgbd939K4qdmY9g

+

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSxSuUCh-50bslnvMy3IHvKpaVch9edZefG8_1NBXugCerpYtOh6yCjN4Kcmg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

nice one Captain, however on Boards:-why can't the Gardai catch bike thieves there are some very sad tales of bikes locked, chained and almost every known system to prevent theft, gone never to be seen again.
    But, point taken nevertheless, one does arrive refreshed after such effort, though I was a London biker for a few years and the fresh air as such preferable to sitting in a bus or car.
    One point make a note of the frame number

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think towns like Navan, Drogheda, Sligo have a Bus Eireann town service. Not much bigger than Kilkenny and Sligo is a deal smaller.
    But, I do think you need a large working class population to sustain a bus service too. Most people in Kilkenny have cars and our traffic problems are no longer that chronic so hard to see a bus service work...let alone make any money. CIE are ridiculously subvented as it is, and a private operator could be too expensive. Bit of a vicious circle then.
    Might work from say Aut Even, St. Lukes into town/railway station and out to Loughboy vice versa. And maybe another one from Newpark area, MacDonagh Junction/Railway station into town and out towards the Callan road areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

There is, look up Kilkenny city service by Bernard Kavanagh

Advertisement