Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IP phone or ATA?

Options
  • 07-10-2012 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I have an ADSL internet connection and I'd like to be able to use a handset to make calls via Vyke rather than with a headset that I am using at the moment. I'm thinking that a cordless handset would allow me to move around the house instead of being attached to a desktop computer or even having a computer turned on. Would an ATA with any cordless phone plugged into do the job? Many of the ATAs I have seen appear to be suited for businesses, accommodating a number of phone lines/numbers. I am just looking for something simple, but that won't be out-of-date, discontinued or of questionable quality. I have heard a lot about the Linksys PAP2t and it doesn't seem too bad--except that it will apparently no longer be supported by the manufacturer. I have heard less-than-stellar reviews about some other Cisco products, such as the SPA 112 and 122 models.

So, does anyone know whether my goal of being able to make international calls on a cordless phone connected to my ADSL router via an ATA (with this device configured to use Vyke's service) is realistic? And if so, could you recommend a good, reasonably priced ATA from personal experience? Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

The linksys pap2ts are very good products. They are no longer being made anymore, but cisco have brought out a new line of products including a new ata.

I'm on a mobile now but its the new black cisco spa ata. Its the same as the linksys but updated firmware and features. This will give you 2 lines of which you can setup one and make calls like any other land line. You can connect a cordless phone to this. Expect to pay €30-60.

The siemens gigaset do a good cordless for about €75 and that has two parts. The charger is seperate to the base so you can have the phone anywhere.

You can still get the linksys ata but I suggest you go for the newer version.

I find cisco's customer service excellent, which is why I'm recommending this over atcom, grandstream etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Yes it is realistic.

You need to be sure that the VOIP traffic gets priority over other traffic through the router/modem ...... so you need a router/modem that supports Quality Of Service through which you can give your calls priority over web sites being accessed etc.

Some years ago I invested in a router with 'built-in' ATA ..... it has two phone sockets to connect standard or Dect phones to it, which means I have the equivalent of two 'lines'.
    Also all the settings are built in to the router which makes it easy to administer.

It also has the facility to register multiple accounts simultaneously which means I can set up a dial plan in the router which will automatically select the correct account for the call I am making ........ I might use a different account for calling UK to that I use to call Australia to get the best rates possible (example only).

In short yes .... if you have a decent ADSL broadband connection you should have no trouble using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 density

Thank you both for your replies. I think I'll try the Cisco SPA122, as it seems to be one of the most recent offerings and may have more resources than its predecessors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

You could always just use an iphone or android app instead of a hardware device.

Advertisement