Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Forbes: The Celtic Comeback? Don't Believe the Hype [Mod warning post #71]

• 07-10-2012 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭

Seems fairly accurate TBH.

Now it is easy to dismiss some of it as he inherited this mess but equally hard to cut the government some slack when they are engaging in what can only be described as dodgy behavior in the Reilly scandal at the moment.

The Times article read like a publicity piece TBH. Maybe they were stuck for a headline or FG just paid for a party political broadcast in it.

More than likely Enda wouldn't agree to do it if it was going to be a real hard hitting political interview.

However I find it hard to believe things aren't getting better at the moment. By better I mean that we are bouncing along the bottom not that we are going to grow at regular 4-5% and our debt is sustainable all of a sudden like the government would like us to believe.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/karlwhelan/2012/10/07/the-celtic-comeback-dont-believe-the-hype/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I have to say what hype? Everytime you turn on the radio or television or open Irish print media, its nothing but doom and gloom. He references one Times article with the Taoiseach saying things are improving which I think they slowly are.

Who is his article aimed at exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

It seems there has been a very negative reaction this TIME piece
    But the thing is the article is behind a paywall
    so the only people who have read are people that brought TIME
    or have a TIME subscription that's about less than 1% of the population
    so all these thousands of tweets,posts, articles, blogs and so on
    are just about the cover and not what inside.
    I noticed that even the Irish media pieces on the TIME cover don't appear to have read the actual article.

even Karl Whelan in forbes admits that he has not read it LOL
    It like writing a book review going by the cover and the back page.
    The article itself is behind a paywall but Time’s background story gives the general idea

No it does not Karl, buy the ****ing mag and read it and review or shut up.

I have not read it I assume(LOL) the article takes a more tempered tone than the cover and is full of the relevant facts and figures
    Often headlines are slightly misleading or attention grapping in order
    to get people to buy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,620 ✭✭✭✭Sand

No it does not Karl, buy the ****ing mag and read it and review or shut up.

I have not read it I assume(LOL) the article takes a more tempered tone than the cover and is full of the relevant facts and figures
    Often headlines are slightly misleading or attention grapping in order
    to get people to buy it.

Where does Karl Whelan say he hasn't read it? He notes its behind a paywall and offers the alternative of the Time background article for those seeking to get the essentials of the Time story. He never says "I didn't bother reading it"

Karl Whelans point is correct: things are worse than when Kenny took over, and they are getting worse, faster. Much (though not the majority) of this actually *is* Kenny's fault because his government inherited a flawed, clearly failed strategy that they derided in opposition and they have simply picked up where their predecessors left off in following a flawed and clearly failed strategy. He could have tried a different tack and at least failed trying something new - instead he decided to fail by pursuing an already doomed plan.

Sand wrote: »

Karl Whelans point is correct: things are worse than when Kenny took over, and they are getting worse, faster. Much (though not the majority) of this actually *is* Kenny's fault because his government inherited a flawed, clearly failed strategy that they derided in opposition and they have simply picked up where their predecessors left off in following a flawed and clearly failed strategy. He could have tried a different tack and at least failed trying something new - instead he decided to fail by pursuing an already doomed plan.

What are these different tacks that you are talking about? And how exactly are things worse than 18 months ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Sand wrote: »
    Where does Karl Whelan say he hasn't read it? He notes its behind a paywall and offers the alternative of the Time background article for those seeking to get the essentials of the Time story. He never says "I didn't bother reading it"

He clearly did not read it IMO, he does not quote it and he adds nothing new he got the "jist" of the story by reading the Q&A with the author he tells us.
    His general points may well be right, that not my point, whose is right or wrong.

The point I was trying to make is there was this huge social media and media reaction to a article that >99% of people did not read
    and it is possible that the article is more negative and critical than the cover pic designed merely for eye-catching and sales.

thats all peace out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,620 ✭✭✭✭Sand

@syklops
    What are these different tacks that you are talking about? And how exactly are things worse than 18 months ago?

There are many sources of news media if you want to catch up on recent events.

@Cork boy 55
    He clearly did not read it IMO

Maybe, but that's different to what you originally claimed - that he had admitted to not reading it. Once we're past that...well, everyone's got an opinion.
    The point I was trying to make is there was this huge social media and media reaction to a article that >99% of people did not read

I think it would be fairer to say there is this huge social media and media reaction to a Time magazine cover (Enda Kenny grinning on the green themed cover of Time with the title of "The Celtic Comeback" : "[Kenny] is rebuilding his countries economy. What the rest of Europe can learn from him") that 99% of people did see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

He clearly did not read it IMO, he does not quote it and he adds nothing new he got the "jist" of the story by reading the Q&A with the author he tells us.
    His general points may well be right, that not my point, whose is right or wrong.

and it is possible that the article is more negative and critical than the cover pic designed merely for eye-catching and sales.

thats all peace out

Have you watched the times Q&A with Kenny? Not one even remotely difficult question asked and not once was he pressed on a single issue.

It was a filler piece until the US elections are decided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

word on the grapevine, another bad announcement in the morning...........................another nail in the coffin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

secman wrote: »
    word on the grapevine, another bad announcement in the morning...........................another nail in the coffin.

Care to elaborate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Which coffin?

The country's? Enda's?

• Advertisement

Just can't elaborate at the moment, think it will break by 9 o'clock tomorrow morning

Is it a business closure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

It seems there has been a very negative reaction this TIME piece

He said it is behind a paywall but he didn't say he hasn't read it.

Anyway ithe cover says enough for lots of people (except the Irish who are living here).

NIMAN wrote: »
    Is it a business closure?

Not a closure, but a significant scaleback, hopefully thats all.

Secman

Not a closure, but a significant scaleback, hopefully thats all.

Secman

Can you tell us now?

Just can't elaborate at the moment, think it will break by 9 o'clock tomorrow morning

Did I miss it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

NIMAN wrote: »
    Did I miss it?

You might when you get home, they knocked off the analogue TV system;)

Seriously? I don't remember anything major in the news.

It wasn't Argos was it?

Bit surprised myself, but it has not broke yet. Hopefully its still being reconsidered. For obvious reasons can't say the name, hopefully the delay is a good sign.

Secman

Thread derailed by hint of something.... bad?

See my point on page one. More doom and gloom. In this case "word on the grapevine", "according to Mary in accounts", "just heard over the wires, but can't elaborate", and we all ate it up. If Secman had said "I just heard there is going to be some good news that will be breaking shortly", we would all have been saying "yeah well I'll believe when I see it" or "define good".. The mere hint that more pain to come was all many of us needed.

A change in attitude is whats needed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement