Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Cat5 cable to IP camera in calving bay

• 07-10-2012 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi, I am looking to get broadband signal from the house to the calving bay so that I can install an IP camera to keep an eye on the cows during calving season.
    The house is roughly 50 meters from the calving bay give or take 10 meters. Does anyone know where I could pick up a Cat 5 cable and also what sort of cable would be able to withstand external environment. I will end up burying cable a couple of feet underground.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

You would be best using external Cat5e cable like this. Loads on ebay for sale as well. Just google external Cat5e cable for sale

http://www.cablemonkey.ie/acatalog/Cable_Monkey_Shop__Cat5e_Solid_External_Cable_146.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Cat 5 is sh1te over that length, use cat6a.
    What exactly are you trying to do, would it not be easier to use THIS

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭top_dog

I want to bring broadband connectivity to outdoor shed roughly 50 meters from the house. I did think about trying to bring ethernet signal through powerline but I am not sure that the same powerline that runs through the house is delivered to the shed. So I felt it was best going with LAN cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

top_dog wrote: »
    I want to bring broadband connectivity to outdoor shed roughly 50 meters from the house. I did think about trying to bring ethernet signal through powerline but I am not sure that the same powerline that runs through the house is delivered to the shed. So I felt it was best going with LAN cable.
    As long as the supply to the shed doesn't come from a separate transformer to that of the house then the power line will work no problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

hi ethernet cable is ok up to about 200m, and 50m of cable should only be 10-15 euro,
    homeplug will also work if power is connected from house to shed but they will cost more,
    and still need cables to connect from plug to the router/ device,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Try the home plugs like above first as it should be the cheaper option.
    If you are going to go to the effort of burying a cable make sure you put it in a duct. Small expense but you will thank yourself 10 times over in 10+yrs

you could also extend the range of your wireless network.
    there is a poster on bff called 'sleepygit' have a look at some of his posts he is quite good. he now has a company dealing with these type of solutions called ruggednetworks.co.uk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Glanbia used sell cat 5 cable in some branches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

top_dog wrote: »
    Hi, I am looking to get broadband signal from the house to the calving bay so that I can install an IP camera to keep an eye on the cows during calving season.
    The house is roughly 50 meters from the calving bay give or take 10 meters. Does anyone know where I could pick up a Cat 5 cable and also what sort of cable would be able to withstand external environment. I will end up burying cable a couple of feet underground.
    Thanks!

you should be able to get it from electrical suppliers, you will need a crimper as well to put rj45 head on either end, might be as easy just buy a ready made lead of a particular length on ebay or some other online seller, will you run the cable undergound, have you a duct or something like that, even external cat 5 wouldnt be suitable for just burying i would think

• Registered Users Posts: 27 zathan

I'd use a shielded poly poly cable - ideal for outdoor use and does the same job as CAT5

Advertisement