Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Budget for South America??

• 07-10-2012 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,

I'm hoping to travel to Central and South America for ten months to year. I'm only planning to stay for a month in Central America, travelling from Nicaragua down to Panama. After that my South American trip would start in Colombia and go through Ecuador, Peru, Colombia, Bolivia, Peru, Paraguay and Uruguay. I'm a little unsure as to what my budget requirement would be for this trip. I'm hoping to bring 10,000 euro spending money but was wondering would this be enough for the ten-12 months??

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

*** Moving from USA to Travelling forum as not USA related ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I'm over here at the moment, just South America mind. Your budget seems a little thin if you're going to get the most out of your trip and see the main attractions. One way you could supplement this though is by working in hostels while travelling. Most offer free accommodation and a decent discount on food/drink if you stay with them for 2-4 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SB84

Cool i suppose working in hostels is always an option especially if we plan to stay in one area for an extended period. I'm planning to spend a good chunk of time in Bolivia and Peru, possibly 3-4 months, as i heard that they are cheaper. Hopefully this would offset the fact that my budget would be a bit thin.

Would it be fair to say that with 12000 i'd be reasonably comfortable so....i.e. accommodation, food, travel, the odd night out and the occasional trip to see the main attractions??

Thanks for your help!

Really depends on the country and how much cooking yourself (wouldn't bother in most of these countries) and how much boozing and lastly how much tours / expedition trips with travel agents you'll do.

I'd say roughly...
    Colombia $45 a day for food, accom, moderate drinking + travel. no tour trips
    Ecuador $40 excepting if you go (and you should) to Galapagos then 3X there.
    Peru $35
    Bolivia $30 (defo cheapest country on list by far)
    Paraguay $40
    Uruguay $50

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I did the same about of time there and spent about €6000 or so. But I stayed in the one place for about 5 months volunteering, so stayed for free. I averaged out about €1000 a month when travelling, but I don't drink much and didn't do some of the more expensive things. This summer I spent almost €2000 on a month in Central America because I did everything as I only had a short amount of time. So it really depends on your own lifestyle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement