Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Washington Commanders thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

You like that......!!!!!

There was a time this season when the Redskins were 2-4 and down 24 points to the Bucs. I don't think the NFL East title was anyone's mind then.

Only after waking up now and seeing the score so don't know how the game went so I'll need to view the highlights etc. to see was it as good a performance as the box score suggests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Great performance. Dominated every part of the game. Got pressure on Bradford.

Just wouldn't recommend watching the last play of the 1st half...

We've officially got our franchise QB and we'll give the Seahawks/Vikings/Packers/Falcons a good game in the playoffs.

Morrison J wrote: »
    Great performance. Dominated every part of the game. Got pressure on Bradford.

Just wouldn't recommend watching the last play of the 1st half...

We've officially got our franchise QB and we'll give the Seahawks/Vikings/Packers/Falcons a good game in the playoffs.

Just watched the condensed game there and yeah, that was some meltdown by Cousin's brain on that play. It would have hurt so bad if that had ended up costing them.

It was a good performance from Kirk. I like that Garcon has stepped up the past few games or is being targeted more. With him, Reed and Jackson to throw to, it has brought the best out of him. I know it was a backup centre but the amount of high snaps that he had to pull in was worrying though. But like the kneel down, these didn't cause too much damage but they could on another day. Lichtensteiger can come back for the playoff game (or games...!!!) so hopefully that won't be an issue then. The lack of a consistent running game is still worrying though too.

I know I've said this before but it really annoys me when they go into the prevent defence mode when they have a lead and they did it again last night. The whole purpose of going prevent is not to give up the big play and allow the opposition to move the ball into scoring position quickly. However when the Redskins do it the opposition get 10-15 yard gains in lightning speed so the end result is pretty much the same and last night Philly went the length of the field in under a minute. Thankfully they didn't recover the on-side kick but I just wonder why they don't just continue doing what was working for the first three quarters. I know the Eagles had a case of the dropsies last night but they were getting to Bradford and making him miss so I would have preferred them continuing with this.

Finally, Crowder needs to be making better decisions with his punt returns. On a couple of occasions he called for fair catches inside his own 10 and on another he picked up a ball that was trickling towards him but he had a group of Eagles around him.

So only one International Series game for the Redskins next year then. I'm not a fan really of these games and am still undecided on whether I'll go to the Bengals game but had the Redskins been matched the Rams, I would have probably chosen that one as I didn't like Wembley the times I was there and I've never been to Twickenham where the area around the ground is apparently better for pre-match pints and stuff. But moot point now thankfully!

• Advertisement

Possible Playoff opponents:

Seahawks beat Cardinals and Packers beat Vikings => Seahawks
    Seahawks beat Cardinals and Vikings beat Packers => Packers
    Cardinals beat Seahawks and Packers beat Vikings => Vikings
    Cardinals beat Seahawks and Vikings beat Packers => Packers

Obviously not going to be an easy game no matter which way it ends up and the Redskins will probably be underdogs but of the 3, I think I'd like to face the Packers. I fear the Seahawks the most even if they were beaten by the Rams last night.

Gruen says starters are going to play on Sunday although with Trent Williams likely to be out, I'd say Kirk won't play too long. I think Reed needs one catch to break Chris Cooley's season record so I'd say he'll be pulled pretty soon after beating that. I'd rest Jackson completely though. With his dodgy hammers, the last thing he needs to be doing is bursting down the sideline in a meaningless game.

Possible Playoff opponents:

Seahawks beat Cardinals and Packers beat Vikings => Seahawks
    Seahawks beat Cardinals and Vikings beat Packers => Packers
    Cardinals beat Seahawks and Packers beat Vikings => Vikings
    Cardinals beat Seahawks and Vikings beat Packers => Packers

Obviously not going to be an easy game no matter which way it ends up and the Redskins will probably be underdogs but of the 3, I think I'd like to face the Packers. I fear the Seahawks the most even if they were beaten by the Rams last night.
    Think the Packers are the team to want too as strange as that sounds. They've no run game, their O-line is a revolving door and defense is poor. Seahawks would be a concern but they've struggled against tight ends all year which may play into our hands with Reed.

We can definitely beat any of those teams on our day though. There can't be many teams in better form or as confident as ours right now. We're peaking just at the right time.
    Gruen says starters are going to play on Sunday although with Trent Williams likely to be out, I'd say Kirk won't play too long. I think Reed needs one catch to break Chris Cooley's season record so I'd say he'll be pulled pretty soon after beating that. I'd rest Jackson completely though. With his dodgy hammers, the last thing he needs to be doing is bursting down the sideline in a meaningless game.

Yeah I'd imagine the key players will play a half at most. Playing Kirk without Trent out there concerns me a bit. Kirk also needs just 120 yards for the single season franchise passing yards record.

Ideally I hope the likes of Reed, Jackson, Hall, Hatcher and any player carrying any type of injury aren't out there for long.

Our practice squad should nearly be able to compete with a Cowboy's team led by Kellen Moore and without Dez Bryant.

Good performance in a meaningless game today although the defence picked up a couple of injuries so that put a bit of a downer on it. Nice to see McCoy throw a nice TD and a few good runs from Alf. Seattle running away with it in Phoenix so if we don't want to play them (and they way they're playing today we don't), we'd better hope for a Minnesota win tonight.

We got the Minnesota win (just).

Packers @ Skins set for 9.40pm our time next Sunday. Gonna be an awful long day waiting for it.

I'd give us every chance with the way the Packers are playing at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Watched the game last night (interested from a Seahawk prospective), on your own field I wouldnt be surprised at all to see you turn the Pack over.

Kirk Cousins stats before and after "You Like That"

Before YLT:
    Completion - 61.6%
    Yards/attempt - 7.0
    TD - 24
    Int - 27
    Pass Rt - 77.5
    QBR - 45.6

After YLT:
    Completion - 72.4%
    Yards/attempt - 8.7
    TD - 23
    Int - 3
    Pass Rt - 119.1
    QBR - 79.8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

If I said to you when the Packers were going to Denver unbeaten that they would be the team we would want in the playoffs you'd have probably said I was mental!

I think that we have a really decent chance of ending up in the Division Final. Personally I think the Seahawks will just about beat the Vikings which will give us the opportunity to go to Arizona if we can handle Green Bay.

I wouldn't be booking tickets or anything but it's great to be in the playoffs at the very least.

Ah well. That's that then. An enjoyable season. Just a pity it's ending in a bad way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Best game of the weekend, at least

Honestly, not even mad. This was a rebuilding year, and to go from 4-12 losing the division to 9-7 winning it then getting sent packing by the reigning MVP? That's a ****ing result.

We improved, we found our franchise QB, and we deserved to be in the playoffs this year. Just didn't deserve to make the Divisional round. Roll on 2016/17.

‪‎HTTR‬

Yeah bit gutted but can't even feel too down about it. We're on the way up and another McCloughan led off-season with a tonne of cap room available to him is something to look forward to.

Just outplayed and out coached by a team that has been there before and has tones more playoff experience. And what can you say about Rodgers. And to think he was being doubted before the game? He showed his class again last night. R.E.L.A.X indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

In fairness none of us expected us to have the season we had, nfc east champs, a qb we can work with,and an array of young talant to build around, i was just a tad bit dissapointed last night because we didnt capitalise when we had green bay on the ropes a bit, also we didnt play anywhere near to where we can,but very pleased all the same cos at the end of the day arizona would have whooped us anyway:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Thought he was pretty classy on Sunday, spent a lot of time signing autographs and appeared to genuinely commiserate with Kurt during the game and was encouraging.

I see him going to Dallas, not sure if he'll be a success but that's where I see him landing. I actually cant say I dislike him just didn't fit our team.

Proud of what the team did but Green Bay were too good on Sunday should be a humdinger between them and the Cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

031.jpg

Spotted today in Georgetown!

Rumour is that the Redskins are going to use the Transition tag on Cousins as opposed to the Franchise Tag. Bit of a risky move to make for the sake of the $2m it will save. Will someone play a bit of poker with them?

EDIT - Now it's the franchise tag apparently.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/03/01/kirk-cousins-washington-redskins-contract-franchise-tag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

RG3 has been cut. Hopefully that'll quieten down some of the stupid people on the internet. Hope he lands somewhere good for him (that's not Dallas), and is able to recapture some of that 2012 magic - though tbh I doubt it.

Have to say I always liked RG III pity to see it end the way it has.

I think he will end up in Dallas though which should be good for him and them.

Raphael wrote: »
    RG3 has been cut. Hopefully that'll quieten down some of the stupid people on the internet. Hope he lands somewhere good for him (that's not Dallas), and is able to recapture some of that 2012 magic - though tbh I doubt it.

A few moves yesterday with Hatcher and Goldsen also getting released and Darrell Young and Pot Roast being told they won't be getting re-signed.

I like Young and hope he gets a job somewhere else although the full back seems to be a dying role. As for RGIII, we'll always have 2012 to remember before the injuries kicked in.

I know he was hard to take on Twitter and in interviews but he means well and he handled last season quite well and wasn't complaining to the press or anything and his farewell message yesterday was very sincere. I wish him all the best in the future too (as long as it isn't with Dallas).

Have to say I always liked RG III pity to see it end the way it has.

I think he will end up in Dallas though which should be good for him and them.

The thing that amazes me the most about him is post injury how much speed he lost. Remember in '12 how he'd burst away from defenders (his TD v Minnesota springs to mind) but the following 2 years he was getting run down by linemen.

The thing that amazes me the most about him is post injury how much speed he lost. Remember in '12 how he'd burst away from defenders (his TD v Minnesota springs to mind) but the following 2 years he was getting run down by linemen.

I wonder is it something that he can repair or was the injury just debilitating? He always came across as someone who worked really hard so if it is something he can fix he could be the answer to a couple of teams problems. But your right his drop off in pace was really noticeable, also he seemed a little timid at times. Not outright afraid but more cautious than prior to the injury.

Fantastic to watch at his best though!

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

remember tho that the team had lost confidence in him at that stage - he couldnt outrun a lineman cos the lineman had already walked through the oline and was in his face!

remember tho that the team had lost confidence in him at that stage - he couldnt outrun a lineman cos the lineman had already walked through the oline and was in his face!

Even out of the pocket though he was getting chased down.

• Advertisement

Alfred signs with the Cowboys. He'd better not rediscover how to run through gaps.

Alfred signs with the Cowboys. He'd better not rediscover how to run through gaps.

I hope he has a good career, always liked him and how he was always grounded in his attitude, had a bad year last year but sometimes that happens. I think the Redskins are a little strange in their selection process. De Marco Murray was available and we knew we were letting Alfred go. The scheme in Philly didn't suit Murray but he would have done a fine job for us.

I think we need some upgrades all through the squad and we've been very quiet in Free agency. Worries me a little. Next year this division is going to be one of the tougher ones and we've been stagnant.

Jordan Reed signed to 5 year extension. Great signing if he manages to stay fit.

Great news.

Going fairly under the radar but we're having such a good offseason.

Morrison J wrote: »
    Great news.

Going fairly under the radar but we're having such a good offseason.

I'm still worried a bit about the DL. That hasn't been really addressed and it was a major problem last season.

Also I'm a bit worried about Matt Jones as the only real RB. Apart from here all they have is a 7th rounder and Chris Thompson.

But yeah, it's been decent enough.

• Advertisement

I'm still worried a bit about the DL. That hasn't been really addressed and it was a major problem last season.

Also I'm a bit worried about Matt Jones as the only real RB. Apart from here all they have is a 7th rounder and Chris Thompson.

But yeah, it's been decent enough.

Norman is a huge signing.

I like what they have done but agree on the lack of RB. I honestly don't know why we didn't have a go at Murray.

I think at worst we'll probably resign Pierre Thomas to add to the RB group. I like Matt Jones personally. Think he definitely outperformed Morris last year.

DL is a slight worry but it's a passing league. Galette, Kerrigan and Preston Smith is a great pass rushing trio and our secondary is night and day from last year. Then you could argue Cousins has the best weapons in the league with the addition of Doctson too. We're looking good imo.

Bloody hell, Junior Gallette out for the season again.

Bloody hell, Junior Gallette out for the season again.

disaster. Seen his post about being in the best shape of his life and then this happens.

disaster. Seen his post about being in the best shape of his life and then this happens.

It gets worse.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/17147079/washington-redskins-had-internal-discussions-greg-hardy

I'd rather have me in there than him (and I weigh 160 pounds with 0 muscle).

• Advertisement

It gets worse.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/17147079/washington-redskins-had-internal-discussions-greg-hardy

I'd rather have me in there than him (and I weigh 160 pounds with 0 muscle).

He's a great player but I don't want him on my team.

He's a great player but I don't want him on my team.

Is he even a great player though? Maybe I'm wrong but I don't remember him causing too much havoc for Dallas last year?

I hope they stay well clear of him.

We all know that Dan Snyder is not a likeable person and he's done some pretty sh1tty things in the past (suing his own fans for one) but today he apparently paid for Chief Zee's funeral which was a pretty cool thing to do. I know it was only small change to a billionaire like him but the thought was there. I met and got my photo taken with Chief Zee on my only visit to see the Redskins back in'12 and he was good craic. It was sad to hear that he died this week.

Is he even a great player though? Maybe I'm wrong but I don't remember him causing too much havoc for Dallas last year?

I hope they stay well clear of him.

I think he was a great player. he had some issues last year with Dallas alright, to be honest though i think he's just a scum bag and his offfield issues finally caught up with his on field talent

Prediction: Just like the Mets regret not re-signing Daniel Murphy, the Redskins are going to regret big time not re-signing Alfred Morris.

Prediction: Just like the Mets regret not re-signing Daniel Murphy, the Redskins are going to regret big time not re-signing Alfred Morris.

I am not sure how much Alfred will get the ball in Dallas. Either way though he is going to look much better running with that O line, its probably still the best in the NFL and if not the best right up there.

Dallas have found a back up to Romo though which is a bigger problem for us in the Division.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gerryfed

Anyone any suggestions on where to get a Redskins game jersey? Was hoping for Reed on the back and in a large. NFL europe site is having a sale at the moment, but only have S and M sizes. Cheers

gerryfed wrote: »
    Anyone any suggestions on where to get a Redskins game jersey? Was hoping for Reed on the back and in a large. NFL europe site is having a sale at the moment, but only have S and M sizes. Cheers

http://www.fansedge.com/washington_redskins_mens/menssizes/l

Fansedge is great. $25 postage (+ the excise duty) so it is pricey but if you buy as few items, it doesn't hurt as much. Or get a few mates to buy something too and spread the cost around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gerryfed

Cool, thanks. Will look into it.

If anyone wants a S or M skins game jersey with Norman, Jackson, Cousins or Scherff on the back... you can get it for for rough e68, and that includes delivery :)

There's a 20% sale, plus you get an extra 15% off if you register your email address at the bottom of the page and use the link in the email ya get.

All starts tonight. How we feeling?

Looking at the Steelers secondary I'm pretty confident we can do some serious damage through the air. Doctson active is a big bonus too.

Main fear for the year is once again defending the run so Bell being suspended is a massive blessing.

Massive opportunity for us tonight if things go to plan. Hopefully we can take advantage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement