Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Washington Commanders thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

We've resigned Vernon Davis, I like the move.

Yeah, he was good last year. Nice to have him back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Yeah, he was good last year. Nice to have him back

Also him being from the area and I think he cares on the field which shows in his play. Good for him and us I think.

We've resigned Vernon Davis, I like the move.

And with every bit of good news, there's corresponding bad news. Garcon looks like he's signing with SF for $16m. (hooking up with Cousins again...????)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

16m is an awful overpay for Garcon and I'm a big fan of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Fan of Garcon but $16million a year is too much, I read $10m a year over 3 years but still alot.

I liked Garcon alot though tough as teak.

Do we want Romo? Ship Cousins two first round picks address DE with the first? Wait, what if we shipped Cousins to the Browns? Now we get Myles Garrett with the first pick.

I think the overall first round pick and maybe a sweetener? Josh Gordon? where we swap first's with them?

Do we want Romo? Ship Cousins two first round picks address DE with the first? Wait, what if we shipped Cousins to the Browns? Now we get Myles Garrett with the first pick.

I think the overall first round pick and maybe a sweetener? Josh Gordon? where we swap first's with them?

No leverage though. No team is going to give away high draft picks to get a guy who will be available as a free agent next season. Well no sensible team anyway although I see you mentioned the Browns!

No leverage though. No team is going to give away high draft picks to get a guy who will be available as a free agent next season. Well no sensible team anyway although I see you mentioned the Browns!

I dont know about that really there is alot to like about trying to get Cousins this year for those teams.

Firstly they dont have to try to compete with teams in an open market. He's in a vacuum now and only a couple of teams can realistically trade for him. Giving up a first for a top 12 qb isnt alot.

I dont know about that really there is alot to like about trying to get Cousins this year for those teams.

Firstly they dont have to try to compete with teams in an open market. He's in a vacuum now and only a couple of teams can realistically trade for him. Giving up a first for a top 12 qb isnt alot.

Fair point.

• Advertisement

So on the 1st day of free agency Garcon, Jackson and Swaggy P leave but they sign 3 defensive players, Swearinger being the biggest name I suppose.

Terrell Pryor in for an interview. Would soften the blow losing Garcon and Jackson massively for me if we could get him.

He'll go to San Fran next year if it comes to that. I don't think there's much doubt, he loves Kyle Shanahan.

I honestly don't think we'd get anything more than a mid round pick or two for him from San Fran if we sorted a trade now. We've zero leverage. Made a massive mistake not signing him to a long term deal last summer.

McCloghlan officially out. The team are saying he was drunk in the facility and in the locker room.

And as usual, the whole thing has been handled awfully by the Redskins. I'm not saying there was an easy way to do it but everything about this reminds me of the 'good old days' when the Redskins were a clusterf@&k of an organisation (which has been every year since Snyder bought the team)

McCloghlan officially out. The team are saying he was drunk in the facility and in the locker room.

And as usual, the whole thing has been handled awfully by the Redskins. I'm not saying there was an easy way to do it but everything about this reminds me of the 'good old days' when the Redskins were a clusterf@&k of an organisation (which has been every year since Snyder bought the team)

A lot of madness going on alright.

On Cousins, I really don't mind if he walks. I don't think it's a mistake I think the organisation as a whole doesn't trust him to lead the team under pressure. And while he's been good in spots I don't think he'll make us win.

At the moment it looks like Romo is bound to go to the Texans they just shipped Osweiler and look like they will send draft picks to Dallas. If we are going to miss out on Romo then fine we'll take Cousins and maybe sign him to a long term deal now between now and the season starting.

We need to secure Cousins long term and really should've done it last year when he was cheaper.

McCloughan wanted him signed up apparently but it's Snyder and Allen that don't. Two big ego's between them still have a chip on their shoulder after the RG3 trade didn't work. Whole organisation in a complete mess for a change.

• Advertisement

Morrison J wrote: »
    We need to secure Cousins long term and really should've done it last year when he was cheaper.

McCloughan wanted him signed up apparently but it's Snyder and Allen that don't. Two big ego's between them still have a chip on their shoulder after the RG3 trade didn't work. Whole organisation in a complete mess for a change.

We probably do need to sign him long term but I'm not 100% on him to be honest. I just wouldn't want the game in his hands with 2 minutes to go.

We have a real opportunity to address our running back woes with AP and Charles available.

But with all this McCloughlan **** going on more than likely we are just going to end up a shambles.

I have a friend in Washington who works with the Post and he is 100% convinced that Cousins is going to the 49ers for three draft picks , this years first next years first and one to be agreed at a later date. I don't know why the 49ers would give that up especially after signing Hoyer but apparently it's close to being finalized. This is supposedly also on the back of Cousins's asking for the trade to happen.

Now the most frightening thing here is that it's Jay Cutler and not Tony Romo that is rumoured to be going to fill the void. If that happens then , f*** me that better not happen!

I have a friend in Washington who works with the Post and he is 100% convinced that Cousins is going to the 49ers for three draft picks , this years first next years first and one to be agreed at a later date. I don't know why the 49ers would give that up especially after signing Hoyer but apparently it's close to being finalized. This is supposedly also on the back of Cousins's asking for the trade to happen.

Now the most frightening thing here is that it's Jay Cutler and not Tony Romo that is rumoured to be going to fill the void. If that happens then , f*** me that better not happen!

That's a crazy deal and I'd say there's no chance of them getting 3 picks, especially 2 first rounders for a guy who will be a free agent next year. I'd love it if it was true but I think someone's telling your mate a bullsh1t story.

Hindsight's great but this time last year he'd only played a handful of games and hadn't proven himself (and in my opinion he still hasn't!) and if he'd been poor this year they'd have been stuck with a dud and would end up like Houston with Osweiller.

I could be wrong but I think most people thought it was the sensible thing to franchise him last year even though it would prove to be more expensive if he was any way competent.

I think his salary demands are based on his desire to leave the team so it's unfortunate the way it's ended up but that's where we are. I just want it over and to see where we are going into the season.

That's a crazy deal and I'd say there's no chance of them getting 3 picks, especially 2 first rounders for a guy who will be a free agent next year. I'd love it if it was true but I think someone's telling your mate a bullsh1t story.

I don't really know where the story is coming from but I presume its someone inside the Redskins.

I cant see it either. 2 picks maybe on an outside chance but apparently Shanahan is big on it happening this year.

• Advertisement

Talk of Mike Mayock of the NFL Network in the mix for GM job. As with most stories on Twitter, might be rubbish but he'd be an interesting choice. Presuming he'd only be evaluating talent and not involved in the financial side of things.

No further word on Tyrell Pryor was there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Tyrell Pryor 1 year $8M with the redskins.

A bit of good news amongst all the carnage.

Not sold on Prior to be honest but he had a very good year and was tough, played well and is athleticly gifted without a doubt. Still would have liked to see Garcon come back but not for the money San Fran are paying.

Cousins signed his tender.

Just thinking about whether it'll be worthwhile getting Gamepass next season.

5 primetime games plus another 4 in the late afternoon slot where there are usually only 2-3 games on so the chances are 2 of them will be on Sky. So that leaves 11 games and I know I'm away for one Sunday so as I don't watch much other programs on NFL Network (even Hard Knocks has lost its luster at this stage), I'd be paying €180 or whatever to watch around 9 games probably.

Just thinking about whether it'll be worthwhile getting Gamepass next season.

5 primetime games plus another 4 in the late afternoon slot where there are usually only 2-3 games on so the chances are 2 of them will be on Sky. So that leaves 11 games and I know I'm away for one Sunday so as I don't watch much other programs on NFL Network (even Hard Knocks has lost its luster at this stage), I'd be paying €180 or whatever to watch around 9 games probably.

With the streaming options available I personally don't think it's worth it.

2 days into OTAs and no Junior Gallette achilles tear. Things are looking up...!!!!

• Advertisement

91 Redskins team named the greatest of the last 30 years by ESPN.

91 Redskins team named the greatest of the last 30 years by ESPN.

I loved that team. One of the first Super Bowls I stayed up for. The America's Team episode for that year is great too. I had it in DVR for years but when I left Virgin for Sky I lost it.

I know he's not that underrated but I still don't think Joe Gibbs gets enough credit for his 3 super bowl wins with 3 QBs.

I loved that team. One of the first Super Bowls I stayed up for. The America's Team episode for that year is great too. I had it in DVR for years but when I left Virgin for Sky I lost it.

I know he's not that underrated but I still don't think Joe Gibbs gets enough credit for his 3 super bowl wins with 3 QBs.

I havent seen that episode of America's Team, cant wait to watch it now though!

They were a truly incredible team. So dominant.

I havent seen that episode of America's Team, cant wait to watch it now though!

They were a truly incredible team. So dominant.

They were 10-0 or 11-0 or something before they lost their first game.

There's a great scene in the show when they go through the Falcons play off game. They gave away seat cushions as souvenirs which in hindsight wasn't the best idea ever as they all got flung onto the pitch. And there was something about MC Hammer at that game too that I can't remember. He was a Falcons fan and was mouthing off before the game or something. I need to watch it again.

They were 10-0 or 11-0 or something before they lost their first game.

There's a great scene in the show when they go through the Falcons play off game. They gave away seat cushions as souvenirs which in hindsight wasn't the best idea ever as they all got flung onto the pitch. And there was something about MC Hammer at that game too that I can't remember. He was a Falcons fan and was mouthing off before the game or something. I need to watch it again.

Watching it right now on youtube, brilliant so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

How on earth did they pick them over the 1990 49ers who dominated during the season and then won the Superbowl 55-10.

eagle eye wrote: »
    How on earth did they pick them over the 1990 49ers who dominated during the season and then won the Superbowl 55-10.

Go and read the article on ESPN. It's well laid out and pretty definitive, the 91 Redskins as a total team, offence, defence and special teams were a good bit better than any other team.

Go and read the article on ESPN. It's well laid out and pretty definitive, the 91 Redskins as a total team, offence, defence and special teams were a good bit better than any other team.

Oh where did it all go wrong.......?????

Can't be all Dan Snyder can it?

Oh where did it all go wrong.......?????

Can't be all Dan Snyder can it?

Oh it can ... it most certainly can ... :D:D:D

• Advertisement

Depressing story on SI.com about Clinton Portis and how he was on the edge of murdering one of his financial advisers who he felt had ripped him off.

He earned over $40m playing football but, like a lot of former players (see the Broke 30 for 30) went bankrupt after a lot of bad investments and dodgy accountants.

It's a good but sad read.

Looks like Cousins and the Skins are not going to reach an agreement before the trade deadline today. WE'll be on the hook for $34million next season more than likely to keep him, and that's just for a year. With San Fran, Arizona, Cleveland and possibly the Saints all looking for Qb's next year is it madness not to sign Kirk up to a long term deal?

Looks like Cousins and the Skins are not going to reach an agreement before the trade deadline today. WE'll be on the hook for $34million next season more than likely to keep him, and that's just for a year. With San Fran, Arizona, Cleveland and possibly the Saints all looking for Qb's next year is it madness not to sign Kirk up to a long term deal?

Im not basing this on anything but my instinct is that he wants out and that was his position all along. So unless they offered him ridiculous money which they were never going to, he was never going to sign. It'll probably leak at some stage but I'd love to hear what they did offer him.

So next year some other team will have his great stats from his own goal line to the opposition 20 and then settle for FGs.

Are we not being a little harsh on Cousins? We haven't got a better option and there isn't many quality Qb's out there to replace him with.

The offensive co-ordinators have to take some of the abuse. We constantly did the same thing at the 20, go to Reed. Or run, poorly. Yes Cousins made some bad throws and poor reads but he also made some great throws through the year.

Cousins wanted to sign last year, they didn't offer it and he's waiting now. He'll get a big pay day regardless.

Is he the answer? I don't know but he's better than a lot of other guys out there. Probably few Qb's that are as divisive as Cousins with regard to his ability.

Cousins is definitely good enough for me. We ****ed it when we didn't give him a contract last summer, not this one. Could have got him at 20 odd mill a year but weren't willing to stump up the money. Will be our loss and probably San Fran's gain this time next year.

Cousins is definitely good enough for me. We ****ed it when we didn't give him a contract last summer, not this one. Could have got him at 20 odd mill a year but weren't willing to stump up the money. Will be our loss and probably San Fran's gain this time next year.

In one of those 'cut off your nose to spite your face' scenarios, I'm kind of glad they didn't pay him what he was looking for. Yeah, he's good and the Redskins are going to be screwed next year without him and having no one else to replace him with, but there's no way he should be paid what he's looking for. He's not a top 10 QB and don't think he ever will be.

Just read the team statement that they offered him the highest guaranteed money for a QB ever ($53m) but he refused saying he wants to pay on a one year deal - code for "I want the hell out of here next season".

I hope he proves me wrong with a great season this year but it wouldn't surprise me if we get the same huge stat numbers but no end result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

In one of those 'cut off your nose to spite your face' scenarios, I'm kind of glad they didn't pay him what he was looking for. Yeah, he's good and the Redskins are going to be screwed next year without him and having no one else to replace him with, but there's no way he should be paid what he's looking for. He's not a top 10 QB and don't think he ever will be.

Just read the team statement that they offered him the highest guaranteed money for a QB ever ($53m) but he refused saying he wants to pay on a one year deal - code for "I want the hell out of here next season".

I hope he proves me wrong with a great season this year but it wouldn't surprise me if we get the same huge stat numbers but no end result.

That is pure spin from the Redskins, they offered him pretty much the minimum guaranteed money they possibly could without looking totally ridiculous.

It is only $29m in guaranteed money more than the franchise tag that he will get this year anyway. That number is practically the transition tag he could be placed on next year, which barring something drastic is the minimum he can expect for 2018.

I'd suspect if they offered him that contract last summer he would have taken it but now the redskins have lost all their leverage.

Yeah spin alright (I was writing the post when the press release was released).

Yeah spin alright (I was writing the post when the press release was released).

Bit of spin from both. Regardless he will want a big season as will the Redskins. This could be a good year for us but a really tough division that got tougher in the off season with both the Giants and Eagles getting some significant off season signings.

He's staying in DC until the Lord tells him otherwise apparently.

Terrell Pryor looks a serious athlete in the workouts i've seen posted by the Redskins so far. Some beautiful catches added to serious vertical jumps. I wonder how he stacks up as a WR on route running and cuts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement