Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Washington Commanders thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Probably a long shot to make the roster anyway but Keith Marshall is done for the year.

He missed all of last year (his rookie year) so 2 years in the league and he hasn't made it past training camp yet. Gotta feel for him as this'll probably be the end of his chances of making a roster.

4 days into Training camp and Junior Gallette is still standing so there's that!

Trent Murphy done for the year with torn MCL & ACL. Was already going to miss the first 4 games with a PED suspension but the rest of the games can be tacked onto that now.

The only surprise is that it wasn't Junior Gallette.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gerryfed

Trent Murphy done for the year with torn MCL & ACL. Was already going to miss the first 4 games with a PED suspension but the rest of the games can be tacked onto that now.

The only surprise is that it wasn't Junior Gallette.

If/When JG goes down hurt for the year, I'm going to blame all your posts for jynxing him ;)

gerryfed wrote: »
    If/When JG goes down hurt for the year, I'm going to blame all your posts for jynxing him ;)

It's not IF, it's WHEN...!!!

(and I'm hoping that by constantly referring to it, the reverse jinx will be in play - but I've probably just negated that now. Damn, those football Gods are hard to please!).

It's not IF, it's WHEN...!!!

(and I'm hoping that by constantly referring to it, the reverse jinx will be in play - but I've probably just negated that now. Damn, those football Gods are hard to please!).

Imagine he stays fit though... IMAGINE :eek:

And returns to similar form to a few years ago... A man can dream eh?!

I know it was only pre-season, and week 1 of pre-season too with scrubs playing for the most part but I was hoping to see at least some semblance of a run game last night.

What annoyed me most last season (apart from 80 yard drives ending up with FG attempts - good for Kirk's stats but not good for getting wins!) were the amount of runs that were stopped for no gain or small 1 yard gains and that's the area I'm hoping to see massive improvement this season.

Won't have a chance to watch it till later/tomorrow, but the reports and stats didn't read too well alright! Heard there was a Perine fumble in there too :/ and Fat Rob getting blown up behind the line. Not a great start by the sounds of it but let's not panic just yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Its only preseason .. keep repeating until game 1!!!

We look shockingly bad at times. Regardless of it only being preseason though.

New season, same issues.

No run game and can't get off the field on third downs (even third and longs).

Edit- ok they got a stop there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Uninspiring enough stuff so far alright. Zach Brown looks like a player though.

I have no idea why we have Ryan Grant ahead of Doctson on the depth chart.

• Advertisement

Morrison J wrote: »

I have no idea why we have Ryan Grant ahead of Doctson on the depth chart.

Someone gave him a high five and he's day-to-day with a sore wrist*

* may or may not be true.

Cousins going all RGIII too. Gonna get himself killed.

I was just going to complain about drives endibg up with FGs (just like last year) but then THAT happens.

Secondary has been really good today. Breeland, Norman, Fuller, Swearinger all impressive.

Secondary has been really good today. Breeland, Norman, Fuller, Swearinger all impressive.

True. Front 7 have had a couple of moments too but overall have been poor. I know Wentz is slippery but he's gotten out of trouble too many times.

True. Front 7 have had a couple of moments too but overall have been poor. I know Wentz is slippery but he's gotten out of trouble too many times.

A few in the front 7 not turning up. Kerrigan, Smith, Brown have done ok to be fair.

Pity the offense is struggling so much because the D has done their job pretty well overall. Do think we lack a few weapons now that Jackson and Garcon are gone. If Doctson isn't going to step up we look very weak.

Time for Kirk to earn his salary.

I think I wrote the same about this time in week 17 last year and he came out and threw the ball straight to the NYG defender.

Hopefully a different outcome this time.

Time for Kirk to earn his salary.

I think I wrote the same about this time in week 17 last year and he came out and threw the ball straight to the NYG defender.

Hopefully a different outcome this time.

Ah well.

That is a horrible call ****ing hell. Clearly going forward.

• Advertisement

That is a horrible call ****ing hell. Clearly going forward.

Probably just saved us the heartbreak of the drive coming up short anyway.

Gruden 0-4 in season openers now too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Same **** different year,this franchise is going backwards big time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Everyone needs to relax. Bad overall performance but the Eagles are actually quite good.

Everyone needs to relax. Bad overall performance but the Eagles are actually quite good.

R-E-L-A-X. If only we had Aaron Rodgers!

I know what you're saying but it's the lack of progress that annoyed me. There was no improvement in the issues that bogged the team down last year.

The run game, 3rd down defence, coaching etc.

Im not going all 'code red' in week 2 but with the Chiefs and Raiders to follow, they could easily be 0-4 without a big improvement in the basics next week.

R-E-L-A-X. If only we had Aaron Rodgers!

I know what you're saying but it's the lack of progress that annoyed me. There was no improvement in the issues that bogged the team down last year.

The run game, 3rd down defence, coaching etc.

Im not going all 'code red' in week 2 but with the Chiefs and Raiders to follow, they could easily be 0-4 without a big improvement in the basics next week.

We could. No doubt about it. Rams defence looked good against a very poor colts team but could cause our O line fits next week.

The run game infuriates me as well. Our defence yesterday was good in spots, terrible in other spots. Pryor was decent though and Grant. Thompson looked ok.

• Advertisement

Gruden calling time out at the end of the half, hoping they'd make a stop on 3rd down, backfired too.

Does Cousins get time to throw the ball this week? Will the Rams defence destroy us?

Can Pryor catch more passes, Can Rob get something going on the grounD?

Can we fecking well win!?!

Does Cousins get time to throw the ball this week? Will the Rams defence destroy us?

Can Pryor catch more passes, Can Rob get something going on the grounD?

Can we fecking well win!?!

Will Doctson see more action?
    Was the OL regression just a blip or a sign of things to come?

Plenty of questions going into this game.

Will Doctson see more action?
    Was the OL regression just a blip or a sign of things to come?

Plenty of questions going into this game.

~Doctson has to see the field more.

Was the Oline not this bad last year?

Was the Oline not this bad last year?

In the run game yes but they were good at Keeping Kirk upright. On Sunday he was under pressure too often.

Morgan Moses allowed 5 sacks all last season apparently. He allowed 3 on Sunday!

• Advertisement

In the run game yes but they were good at Keeping Kirk upright. On Sunday he was under pressure too often.

Morgan Moses allowed 5 sacks all last season apparently. He allowed 3 on Sunday!

I feel like we didnt pick up blitz' well last season.

Our run game has been poor since Alfred left. While Rob is ok and Thompson a good change of pace I still feel like we shouldnt have let Matt Jones go. He had some fumbling issues but he also had ability to run for big gains. Gruden took a dislike to him last year and he never got a fair chance after that, despite the fact our run game went to ****.

What the hell is it with this fella? Can he go a day without getting injured?

https://twitter.com/redskins/status/908042829049540610

What the hell is it with this fella? Can he go a day without getting injured?

https://twitter.com/redskins/status/908042829049540610

He has had the hamstring injury since training camp.

He has had the hamstring injury since training camp.

I've no idea of the extent of this injury so probably shouldn't say he should suck it up and play through a bit of pain but even Jay Gruden's getting pissed off with his lack of availability at this stage.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2017/09/13/josh-doctson-jay-gruden-dance-again/

I've no idea of the extent of this injury so probably shouldn't say he should suck it up and play through a bit of pain but even Jay Gruden's getting pissed off with his lack of availability at this stage.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2017/09/13/josh-doctson-jay-gruden-dance-again/

All very well and good but when he was on the field why was his number not dialed up? We have no deep threat and Doctson has excellent speed and hands. Total targets last week 0.

Not like we were moving the ball well either but perhaps that was the problem. Kirk was under too much pressure to throw one deep.

If I see one more bloody fade pass thrown by Kirk Cousins I'll scream.

Had the Rams in awful trouble there but let them up off the canvas.

Still, impressed with the run game so far!

A win's a win so gotta be happy with that and there were plenty of positives but that game should not have been that close in the end.

A win the most important thing here

• Advertisement

http://deadspin.com/rgiii-almost-saved-washington-and-then-he-didnt-1727780577

Really interesting read, as a fan I can totally relate. I remember being in Washington for some of Griffens early games and he was electric, I also remember watching him in the Woolshed. His pure athletic talent always gave us a chance and it was epic to watch, until it wasnt.

http://deadspin.com/rgiii-almost-saved-washington-and-then-he-didnt-1727780577

Really interesting read, as a fan I can totally relate. I remember being in Washington for some of Griffens early games and he was electric, I also remember watching him in the Woolshed. His pure athletic talent always gave us a chance and it was epic to watch, until it wasnt.

I was the same about Griffin. From his first game against NO and then when I went to my first game at FedEx against Minnesota and he broke out that 50-60 yard TD run I thought he was going to save the franchise. I remember leaving the stadium after that game and everyone was chanting his name and was so positive about the future. Pity how it all worked out, both for him and especially the team.

I was the same about Griffin. From his first game against NO and then when I went to my first game at FedEx against Minnesota and he broke out that 50-60 yard TD run I thought he was going to save the franchise. I remember leaving the stadium after that game and everyone was chanting his name and was so positive about the future. Pity how it all worked out, both for him and especially the team.

I had the pleasure of meeting him at a fund raiser the offseason he hurt his knee. Thought that he literally was going to carry the team for the next decade. Gruden never wanted him though and he really never recovered fully.

I thought he showed signs in Cleveland that he was getting there. I'm surprised no team has taken a shot at him as a back up/wild cat QB. So much electricity about him when he played well, exactly like Michael Vick back in the day.

He's just not very good. Took us way longer to pull the plug on him than it should have. All because Snyder wouldn't admit he'd made a balls of everything once again.

He's just not very good. Took us way longer to pull the plug on him than it should have. All because Snyder wouldn't admit he'd made a balls of everything once again.

I disagree. Until he got hurt he was very good.

It’s hard to tell how he would have panned out if he hadn’t got injured. Defenses are good at adapting so even if he still had the speed, the fact that he held on to the ball too long might have caught up with him eventually. We’ll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

I remember well that opening week to the season against New Orleans, I honestly have never seen anything like it before or since. He was incredible, looked like he could do it all - like you I thought he was the future of the NFL.

A couple of weeks into the season though, it became apparent that he was not built for the NFL (physique-wise), coupled with his style of play, he was being rag dolled in every game I saw him play. It was so noticable that he took the most awkward, jarring hits in every game that in retrospect there was no way he could survive the rigours of an NFL season, the injuries would mount and that explosiveness and confidence just seem to ebb away out of him.

The Seahawks may have a similar issue with Russell Wilson if they don't upgrade their OL, although Wilson does seem to play more cautiously than Griffin did.

I disagree. Until he got hurt he was very good.

He was brilliant in his first year no doubt but his limitations were hidden through pure athleticism and innovative (at the time) play calling by the Shanahans.

He lost both of those pretty quickly and got shown up to be the extremely limited QB he is.

He was brilliant in his first year no doubt but his limitations were hidden through pure athleticism and innovative (at the time) play calling by the Shanahans.

He lost both of those pretty quickly and got shown up to be the extremely limited QB he is.

This is a fallacy. By the time the Shanahans were gone he had been injured badly.

He wasn't limited the O Line he played behind was terrible. Absolutely abysmal in fact. RGIII had decent accuracy and good arm strength. His athletic ability obviously got him there and would have kept him there.

With regards to never seeing anything like him before as was mentioned by Milehighguy, Michael Vick man .. he was absolutely unreal when he came in the league. And Jack I dont know if defence's can truly adapt to that kind of talent. If you build a team around a guy like that with a good oline and offensive options there is really not many ways to stop them.

Problem normally is if they are that athletic they dont learn to throw it well enough. Watson is going to be an interesting player to watch develop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

With regards to never seeing anything like him before as was mentioned by Milehighguy, Michael Vick man .. he was absolutely unreal when he came in the league.

Yes, Vick is the closest analogue, but he didn't light it up in his NFL debut the same way, he was eased in and had plenty of growing pains. Griffin just came in and blew away a good Saints team.
    Problem normally is if they are that athletic they dont learn to throw it well enough.

Also, in Griffin's case, he was using his athleticism and putting himself in terrible situations, trying to beat players to the edge and getting blown up, thinking he could juke two and three defenders in the middle of the field and getting blindsided. He just didn't seem to have awareness on the field, exciting as hell, but he was no Cam Newton when it came to absorbing hits (Newton is now finding out that even he can't take that level of punishment week in, week out)

Advertisement