Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Washington Commanders thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Yes, Vick is the closest analogue, but he didn't light it up in his NFL debut the same way, he was eased in and had plenty of growing pains. Griffin just came in and blew away a good Saints team.

Also, in Griffin's case, he was using his athleticism and putting himself in terrible situations, trying to beat players to the edge and getting blown up, thinking he could juke two and three defenders in the middle of the field and getting blindsided. He just didn't seem to have awareness on the field, exciting as hell, but he was no Cam Newton when it came to absorbing hits (Newton is now finding out that even he can't take that level of punishment week in, week out)

Newton is 6-5 and 250ish, Griffen is 6-2 and 215 ,

Regardless of their size you cant take those hits in the NFL. One of the reasons Vick was so electric, he was so hard to hit.

But it's all off the main stay of focus at the moment. Can we beat the Raiders at home this weekend?

Personally I think we can. As long as Reed gets over this chest contusion thing and suits up, if he doesnt it makes it more difficult. This one could turn into a shoot out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

. Can we beat the Raiders at home this weekend?

Hopefully they can but there are two things you can be sure of in the Jay Gruden era.

1 they will come out flat in week 1, and
    2 more often than not, they don’t turn up for prime time games (3-6)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Hopefully they can but there are two things you can be sure of in the Jay Gruden era.

1 they will come out flat in week 1, and
    2 more often than not, they don’t turn up for prime time games (3-6)

I think the team is better this year, the Philly game they could easily have won, some big mistakes at the wrong time and a couple of horrible calls(both by refs and the offensive coordinator) were all that was the difference there.

The Raiders are good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

But it's all off the main stay of focus at the moment. Can we beat the Raiders at home this weekend?

Personally I think we can. As long as Reed gets over this chest contusion thing and suits up, if he doesnt it makes it more difficult. This one could turn into a shoot out.

....from a Broncos fan, I'll be rooting for you guys!

I don't know what to make of the Redskins so far this year, they seem quite inconsistant, and don't seem to have hit their stride yet. The Raiders have picked up where they left off (before the Carr injury obv.) last year, and will be a good yardstick for where you are this year.

Just waking up and am pleasantly surprised. Looking forward to watching this game later.

Looks like they were dominant. Well played lads.

• Advertisement

Raiders 0-11 on third downs. Wow.

Raiders 0-11 on third downs. Wow.

Just watched the condensed game there and ok, they did give up one 4th down but that was one dominant performance by the defence. The 2 scores the Raiders got both came after Redskins turnovers when they got the ball within the Redskins 20. Apart from that they did nothing.

And Chris Thompson was everywhere on the other side of the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Looks like defence was on fire last night,I saw the first QTR,and they wereðŸ˜

Well , that was excellent. I hate Sunday night games though, am exhausted in work today. Terrific performance all round. Have to say I thought Cousins was exceptional last night and Thompson was just brilliant everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Amazing the difference when you've a defensive coordinator who knows what he's doing. Joe Barry and Jim Haslett held us back for years.

• Advertisement

Morrison J wrote: »
    Amazing the difference when you've a defensive coordinator who knows what he's doing. Joe Barry and Jim Haslett held us back for years.

Eh lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Last night was decent but the Raiders were shockingly bad.

The key for me though is that we're definitely moving in the right direction.

Eh lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Last night was decent but the Raiders were shockingly bad.

The key for me though is that we're definitely moving in the right direction.
    Is saying Joe Barry and Jim Haslett were completely inept getting ahead of myself? I have quite the evidence to back that up!

Is saying Joe Barry and Jim Haslett were completely inept getting ahead of myself? I have quite the evidence to back that up!

Ah now I'm not saying you are wrong on their ineptitude, but I guess I am a Redskins fan, as are you and i just don't believe in our defence being "not inept" quite yet!

Jay Gruden is growing on me massively. Play calling spot on since he's taken over the role offensively. Actually running the ball with some consistency.

And then Gruden ****s up the clock management at the end..

Tough loss but we actually look pretty good. Penalties and injuries cost us big time. Pretty positive stuff.

And then Gruden ****s up the clock management at the end..

Tough loss but we actually look pretty good. Penalties and injuries cost us big time. Pretty positive stuff.

Haven’t watch yet but just looking at the box score and reading the report, allowing that 37 yard pass after tying the game up with 47 seconds to go seemed to be the killer. Can’t be letting them drive into FG position in 30 seconds.

Having said that, the fact that they were still in the game on the road in KC has to be a positive. The penalties and Doctson’s dropped pass* the obvious negatives

I’d have taken a 2-2 start at the beginning of the season but ideally hope they drive on from this now.

Edit - *still haven’t seen it but listening to the post game, some are saying it wasn’t a drop, he just didn’t catch it.

Great to see the burgundy pants making an appearance too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gerryfed

Great first half, but the penalties and injuries killed us in that 2nd.

Doctson has to complete that catch though, that's the game won :( Reed was open too on that play, might have been the safer option but hard to lay any blame on Cousins, he put the ball where it needed to be for Doctson. Clock management was awful too, terrible time out called. Should have had that play dialed up already in case the short run on 2nd down didn't work.

2-2 after 4 tough games isn't bad though. Especially considering we were done by that terrible call against the Eagles at the end, and we took the unbeaten Chiefs to the last minute of the game.

Hopefully the defense can get healthy, good time for a bye! #HTTR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

With doctsons catch,he had controll until he hit the ground when it then squirmed out,where's the problem?

shamrock55 wrote: »
    With doctsons catch,he had controll until he hit the ground when it then squirmed out,where's the problem?

You have to maintain full control of the ball after you go to ground to complete the catch.

He should have turned his body more I guess so that the ball didn’t come lose after hitting the ground

• Advertisement

Enjoyable day at FedEx. Great tailgate, exciting game but a game that should have been out of sight at half time. Crazy that the 49ers has a chance to win it in the end.

View from my seat last week (was great except when they snapped the ball from the left hash!)

v44hl3.jpg

I'd also recommend the 'HailBBQ' crew if you're ever at a game and looking to hook up with a tailgate.

Dropping like flies.

Mason Foster done for the year.

Dropping like flies.

Mason Foster done for the year.

3/5s of the OL not going today and now Niles Paul goes down heavily. Awful luck with injuries these past few weeks.

It had been a good half but failure to turn good drives into TDs (as usual) and having to take FG attempts has come back to bite them.

I can’t believe they’re going to a point down after the first 28 minutes of this game.

And now sicknote is gone to the sideline again.

I don't know what to make of that game last night. With all the players missing before the game even started and then them losing a couple of others in the first half, they shouldn't have had a chance to win that game and I was expecting a loss but they actually could have and maybe even should have won the game.

But as usual (and I'm like a scratched record here), the inability to turn good drives into TDs killed them again and a few stupid mistakes and they let another one slip away.

Gonna be tough now, Seattle on the road then Minnesota and NO, could be 3-7 in a few weeks.

I don't know what to make of that game last night. With all the players missing before the game even started and then them losing a couple of others in the first half, they shouldn't have had a chance to win that game and I was expecting a loss but they actually could have and maybe even should have won the game.

But as usual (and I'm like a scratched record here), the inability to turn good drives into TDs killed them again and a few stupid mistakes and they let another one slip away.

Gonna be tough now, Seattle on the road then Minnesota and NO, could be 3-7 in a few weeks.

I'd take an L this week if it gave us another bye week :P no team can compete with all those injuries, specially on the OLine.

The blocked field goal was huge for me. Then the weather kicked in and it made coming from behind even tougher. Passing game is so up and down, it's insane.

gerryfed wrote: »
    I'd take an L this week if it gave us another bye week :P no team can compete with all those injuries, specially on the OLine.

The blocked field goal was huge for me. Then the weather kicked in and it made coming from behind even tougher. Passing game is so up and down, it's insane.

It’s all up and down unfortunately but when you’ve no OL you’re up against it from the get go. But yeah, that drive stalling and having to take the FG that was blocked changed the game completely.

I heard Kirk being interviewed yesterday and he was saying the first time he met one of the new backup linemen was in the dressing room before the game.

Sad to see Mack Brown leave as I don’t rate Rob Kelly and would have liked to see him get a shot.

One less team in the mix now for Cousins with the NE/SF trade but I still see him walking next season.

• Advertisement

It’s all up and down unfortunately but when you’ve no OL you’re up against it from the get go. But yeah, that drive stalling and having to take the FG that was blocked changed the game completely.

I heard Kirk being interviewed yesterday and he was saying the first time he met one of the new backup linemen was in the dressing room before the game.

Sad to see Mack Brown leave as I don’t rate Rob Kelly and would have liked to see him get a shot.

One less team in the mix now for Cousins with the NE/SF trade but I still see him walking next season.

Most frustrating team to watch. But with the injuries we had last weekend hardly surprising we lost. Three massive losses. We dont have enough at WR and again have no running game. Pryor does not look like he is ready for this level of competition will take some time to up his game IMO. Rob isnt match ready yet but never looks likely to break out a big run, Thompson is class but he cant do it all on his own. Doctson, Crowder and Reed have been terrible.

Vernon Davis is our best pass catcher outside of Thompson. Cousins... he makes some terrible reads and cant do anything with his feet when he actually has decent mobility. Not sure what he is doing some of the time. He breaks free and instead of taking off upfield he looks to try to throw again, that happened on at least 2 sacks at the weekend.

Is our season over yet? Probably is after this weekend, although being the redskins this is normally where Kirk pulls out a monster game and beats the Seahawks.

Is our season over yet? Probably is after this weekend, although being the redskins this is normally where Kirk pulls out a monster game and beats the Seahawks.

Yeah I think they’re done. 6 wins max I’d say now. It’s alright saying ‘next man up’ but at some stage it just isn’t possible with the players they have healthy. Pity. At 2-1 the season had plenty of potential.

Yeah I think they’re done. 6 wins max I’d say now. It’s alright saying ‘next man up’ but at some stage it just isn’t possible with the players they have healthy. Pity. At 2-1 the season had plenty of potential.

Should have won the first game against Philly and the game against Kansas. We could have easily won the second game against Philly too and last week's loss to Dallas, the block field goal changed the whole game.

Injuries definitely derailed us.

Now .. what do we do about Kirk?

Now .. what do we do about Kirk?

As you know, I’m not his biggest fan but he’s all we have I don’t like the alternative of having to start from scratch with someone else next year so I think it’s him or nothing next season.

As he’s under the franchise tag, they can’t make a deal with him until after the Super Bowl and I’m sure there’ll be plenty of twists and turns in the will he/won’t he sign saga before then.

I know SF are out of the running now now and they were probably the favorites to land him but there are still plenty of teams who would be interested in signing him.

Would the transition tag be an option? See how serious other teams in paying him.

As you know, I’m not his biggest fan but he’s all we have I don’t like the alternative of having to start from scratch with someone else next year so I think it’s him or nothing next season.

As he’s under the franchise tag, they can’t make a deal with him until after the Super Bowl and I’m sure there’ll be plenty of twists and turns in the will he/won’t he sign saga before then.

I know SF are out of the running now now and they were probably the favorites to land him but there are still plenty of teams who would be interested in signing him.

Would the transition tag be an option? See how serious other teams in paying him.

I wouldnt say SF are out of the running for him. Seems like a smart move by SF, have a look at Garrapolo. If he's any good they can sign him and trade him for picks to help the rebuild. If he's no good he is a better option than they have now.

Transition tag wont work in my opinion. Cardinals, Giants, Browns and possibly Jags are all looking for a QB and he could win with the Jags soon.

I think I would try our best to sign him. He's passionate, he makes bad throws but what Qb doesnt and same as you I'm not sure about him under pressure but I definitely dont want to start again.

• Advertisement

I’m always hearing about how good his stats are and how he’s up at the top in rating and yards etc. but there’s an saying in darts “scoring’s for show, doubles for dough” and I think this can be applied to Kirk and the Redskins offense.

They move the ball from their own 20 to the opponent’s 20 and this is where most of Kirks great stats are accumulated. But the stats are misleading as too many drives stall in the red zone and at least some of that has to be on Kirk.

I’m always hearing about how good his stats are and how he’s up at the top in rating and yards etc. but there’s an saying in darts “scoring’s for show, doubles for dough” and I think this can be applied to Kirk and the Redskins offense.

They move the ball from their own 20 to the opponent’s 20 and this is where most of Kirks great stats are accumulated. But the stats are misleading as too many drives stall in the red zone and at least some of that has to be on Kirk.

Some of it is no doubt about it. But we have had this argument before in relation to the redzone. The OC does the same thing almost all the time and thats run it twice, fail and then try to throw it to Reed.

If you are that predictable all the time its tough to score. Surely Crowder on slants or Doctson on a post has to be a viable option occasionally? Or even dump it off to Thompson on an underneath route.

We're utterly hopeless in the redzone compared to everywhere else. I am even getting frustrated typing about it. so many games have been lost because of it.

There are too many Out and Doubtfuls on this list for my liking.

246umqf.jpg

Nskehe and Nicholson active but not in uniform. So only 44 players available to play today.

• Advertisement

Superb performance, especially from the D. And the offense stepped up at the end when it mattered. Got help from Seattle with penalties Blair Walsh but considering who they were missing, they deserved a bit of luck.

And with burgundy pants as well..!!!!

#getridoftthegoldpants

I’ll have to lay off critising KC this week. He was great on that last drive and also made a couple of great throws earlier when he was getting nailed.

Having to operate behind an OL with 4 backups must have been tough and he was getting killed out there at times but he stuck in there.

Long injury list again but only a couple definitely 'Out'. Kind of weird to be happy to see 'questionable' on the list

https://twitter.com/benstandig/status/929089991975817221

I’ll never understand this team. Last week the defense played out of its mind. This week it’s getting ripped to pieces.

Amazing catch by Harris earlier.

Kirk’s throws seem a bit off today. Not by much but enough to not get the desired result.

Kirk’s throws seem a bit off today. Not by much but enough to not get the desired result.

Another ugly throw results in an interception that will more than likely lead to a Viking TD.

Redskins 1/3 in the red zone today. The Vikings are 5/5.

This game is bonkers

Defense was very poor when it mattered. Kirk was poor too (although not helped by his receivers). Terrible play calls on the 3/4 and 1s towards the end.

As I said earlier, I can’t figure out this team at all. They’ll probably win against the Saints next week.

One other thing that has been annoying me all season is the toss back to the RB. Hey seem to do it once or twice a game and I don’t think I’ve seen it work yet.

It’s probably ok if you have a good run game and an OL that is able to create holes but when you have neither of those I find it bizarre to toss the ball back to the RB who starts his run 6-7 yards behind the line of scrimmage. Never ends well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement