Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Washington Commanders thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Time to see if the team has quit on the season. This half will tell us whether it’s worth even watching the next 3 weeks.

Flea flicker. They’re taking the pi$$ now.

This tweet just about sums up how I feel

https://twitter.com/burgundyblog/status/939994553402175488

4th quarter. Down by 24. Watch as Cousins pads his stats by throwing for loads of yards and maybe a couple of meaningless scores.

4th quarter. Down by 24. Watch as Cousins pads his stats by throwing for loads of yards and maybe a couple of meaningless scores.

And he didn’t even do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Cousins was busy trying to not get killed by that pass rush in fairness. Abysmal performance but after the Cowgirls game last week I suppose we should not be surprised.

The frustrations are too many now.

Funny that Josh Norman chooses the day after he got torched on numerous occasions to say he’s sick of playing on a losing team and might consider playing elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Funny that Josh Norman chooses the day after he got torched on numerous occasions to say he’s sick of playing on a losing team and might consider playing elsewhere.

I dont blame him. He's a terrific defender.

I dont blame him. He's a terrific defender.

A terrific defender, yes. But he’s having a terrible year. Sunday wasn’t the first time this season he’s got hammered on multiple occasions in one on one battles.

0 interceptions for the year and it’s not like QBs have been avoiding throwing his way.

I just found the timing of his tantrum a bit odd. Yes, the team is bad (and badly coached!) but he’s as guilty as everyone else.

A terrific defender, yes. But he’s having a terrible year. Sunday wasn’t the first time this season he’s got hammered on multiple occasions in one on one battles.

0 interceptions for the year and it’s not like QBs have been avoiding throwing his way.

I just found the timing of his tantrum a bit odd. Yes, the team is bad (and badly coached!) but he’s as guilty as everyone else.

He marks the other teams true number 1, week on week. The timing of his rant might be out of place but he's one of the very best corners in the game.

• Advertisement

To be honest I am sick of the team and the entire organisation being so ****.

He marks the other teams true number 1, week on week

And is getting beaten by them more often than not.

I agree he’s a good player but he’s not having a good year.

To be honest I am sick of the team and the entire organisation being so ****.

Pity we can only thank posts once!

And is getting beaten by them more often than not.

I agree he’s a good player but he’s not having a good year.

He's not having a good year but I wouldnt say he's having a bad year either. He was terrific in some games.

But I get ya, why come out mouthing when your not the stand out player on a bad defence in terms of performance(i think swearinger has been our best defender not named Kerrigan)

Man why cant we be good for just a couple of years?

You think we sign Cousins now or go full rebuild?

You think we sign Cousins now or go full rebuild?

I’m getting to the stage where I reluctantly think it’s time to move on.

Don’t get me wrong, we’ll be fecked without him but there are so many holes to be filled and signing him again will take up a huge chunk of the salary cap, there won’t be enough money to fill those holes.

I know it’s not his fault but deep down, even with a good roster and good coaching, I don’t think he’s worth 1/3 of the salary cap (or whatever it is) as I can’t seen him ever taking the team to the next level. Look at how Flacco’s salary has fecked up the Ravens for the past few years.

Having said all that, I don’t want a complete rebuild either and drafting a QB in the first round (especially if it means moving up). Are there a couple of semi decent free agent QBs this year? Taylor and Keenam for example. Neither in the league of Cousins but probably available for a fraction of the cost.

I also don’t think Cousins wants to be a Redskin either and to be honest, I don’t blame him.

I’m getting to the stage where I reluctantly think it’s time to move on.

Don’t get me wrong, we’ll be fecked without him but there are so many holes to be filled and signing him again will take up a huge chunk of the salary cap, there won’t be enough money to fill those holes.

I know it’s not his fault but deep down, even with a good roster and good coaching, I don’t think he’s worth 1/3 of the salary cap (or whatever it is) as I can’t seen him ever taking the team to the next level. Look at how Flacco’s salary has fecked up the Ravens for the past few years.

Having said all that, I don’t want a complete rebuild either and drafting a QB in the first round (especially if it means moving up). Are there a couple of semi decent free agent QBs this year? Taylor and Keenam for example. Neither in the league of Cousins but probably available for a fraction of the cost.

I also don’t think Cousins wants to be a Redskin either and to be honest, I don’t blame him.

Taking a shot on the open market is taking a risk on players that werent wanted elsewhere generally. I dont think there is anyway Keenum gets away from the Vikings IMO. Bridgewater or Bradford might be available, I would take Bradford for a couple of years. Good game manager, but with Crowder, Reed, Doctson, Thompson and Perine we actually have playmakers right now. I think hanging a number on cousins isnt the worst option. Take a few defensive players at the top of the draft and we could compete. Our division is wide open regardless of the Cowboys and Eagles strength this year.

A few transactions today.

https://twitter.com/redskins/status/940687861480873990

Surprised not to see Trent Williams or Morgan Moses on the list of players going to the IR. There's no point in them continuing playing this season.

Bibbs is interesting, i'd like to see him get game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Bibbs is interesting, i'd like to see him get game time.

He ended up being a disappointing pick up for the 49ers. They spent draft capital to get him up from the Broncos but he didn't show much during training camp or preseason before getting cut for a UDFA. He has shown flashes though so could offer something.

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote: »
    He ended up being a disappointing pick up for the 49ers. They spent draft capital to get him up from the Broncos but he didn't show much during training camp or preseason before getting cut for a UDFA. He has shown flashes though so could offer something.

He has loads of talent. His one ear in college he rushed for 1700 & 30 td's. Thats some serious production.

Oh my God that was an awful game to watch.

Oh my God that was an awful game to watch.

Typical of our defence to show up yesterday though, two games too late. They were terrific. Shocking offensively.

Typical of our defence to show up yesterday though, two games too late. They were terrific. Shocking offensively.

4-0 against the NFC West though. Unofficial NFC West Champions.....!!!!!

(ok, I'm clutching at straws).

4-0 against the NFC West though. Unofficial NFC West Champions.....!!!!!

(ok, I'm clutching at straws).

We beat Seattle and the Rams and should have 100% beaten the Saints, how are we not in a playoff position.

And there's our $34m QB.

What the hell was he thinking with that throw?

• Advertisement

And there's our $34m QB.

What the hell was he thinking with that throw?

Much better performance after that against a good defense. Nice to see Grant make a few catches too. Defense played great again, even if it was against Osweiller.

Much better performance after that against a good defense. Nice to see Grant make a few catches too. Defense played great again, even if it was against Osweiller.

Such a frustrating team to support!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Morrison J wrote: »

Doesn't ring true to me personally. His stats are again padded by garbage time TD's and garbage games.

While I think we have to sign him long term, as he is by far the best option there at the moment he wrecks my head with so many small mistakes in games.

Doesn't ring true to me personally. His stats are again padded by garbage time TD's and garbage games.

While I think we have to sign him long term, as he is by far the best option there at the moment he wrecks my head with so many small mistakes in games.

Every QB in the league benefits from garbage time points and "garbage games" to some extent. Cousins has proved he's worth every penny by playing like he has this year with the non existent help he's had. I honestly can't understand the hate he gets. Top 10 QB in the league. We have to hold on to him. Should've paid him years ago.

• Advertisement

I'd have him round the 10 mark. Not higher than 8 but probably not lower than 12-13. He's a very good, not great QB (look at that throw on Sunday as an example of the brain freeze he still gets - week 17 v the Giants last year being a most costly example). I've stated my position on his stats on here many times before and it is that I think he's great at adding to his QBR between the 20's but more often hat not they end up taking FG attempts and that's a killer. I accept that that's not all on him as the running game has been awful the past couple of years and the play calling this year has been terrible so it might not all be on him but as leader of the team, he has to shoulder a fair chunk of the blame.

At this stage I'm torn as to whether the team will be better off with him or without him next season. If it was just based on ability and what the alternatives are, of course I'd take him in a heartbeat. However the team has so many holes to fill I'm afraid the money it'll take to sign him will take up too big of a percentage of the salary cap so they won't be able to attract any top free agents. If there was anyway to do some magic with the money and do some creative accounting, I'd love them to tie him down for the next few years, especially as the drop off in quality from QBs 1-15 to 16-32 is colossal and if they do end up with Tyrod Taylor or Kase Keenham or whoever next year, the level of QB play on the team will drop back.

Even if they did offer him the moon and the stars, I don't think he wants to be here anyway so I'd say we'll be watching Colt McCoy or someone equivalent next season.

Hindsight is great and of course we'd all love to turn back the clock 2 seasons and lock him down then but we're where we are now and have to live with it.

Green Bay and Phoenix confirmed as the final 2 opponents for next year too. Both locked into the 3rd position in their divisions (as are the Redskins). NFC East matched up against the NFC and AFC Souths.

Man that was an awful half of football. It’s like watching two bad Div III college teams. Both sets of players obviously have one eye on Cancun or wherever they’re going to go on their holidays tomorrow.

Cousins definitely doesn’t like week 17 games against the Giants. A couple of awful picks today. At least this game didn’t matter.

An terrible performance to finish off a very disappointing season.

At least we won’t have to hear about that “3 non-losing seasons” crap anymore. I can’t believe people were actually thinking that was a good thing. And a 3 game win streak might have lulled people into thinking that they aren’t really a bad team, which they are.

Thank God the season’s over.

It would sum it all up though if Cousins’ last pass as a Redskin was an awful interception.

Every QB in the league benefits from garbage time points and "garbage games" to some extent. Cousins has proved he's worth every penny by playing like he has this year with the non existent help he's had. I honestly can't understand the hate he gets. Top 10 QB in the league. We have to hold on to him. Should've paid him years ago.

I'll tell you why he gets the hate. In games that it matters he makes mistakes, big ones. And he rarely pulls us out of holes in games that matter.

Now I am not saying he's never done it because he has but far fewer times than when needed, he really suffers in comparison to other QB's in this type of situation too. Its possible he needs a braver or less predictable offensive coordinator. One with more expansive gameplans because our offense is predictable.

Another poor season in the books and an off season of unpredictability. Looks like the Gruden we need is heading to Oakland, so apparently money does matter. We need to sign Cousins up to a long term deal or cut him loose the money we have spent on him for the three years including next year is ridiculous. He'll be paid 10million more than Brady if we franchize him again.

Don't see anything wrong with what Gruden said there in fairness. Basically saying Cousins was very good but didn't do enough to drag us into the play offs (which an elite QB probably could've done). Can't argue with that.

Gruden is always a straight, fair talker in my opinion. Said it like it was with RG3's decline when the likes of Snyder and Allen wanted to pretend it wasn't happening.

• Advertisement

I'll tell you why he gets the hate. In games that it matters he makes mistakes, big ones. And he rarely pulls us out of holes in games that matter.

Now I am not saying he's never done it because he has but far fewer times than when needed, he really suffers in comparison to other QB's in this type of situation too. Its possible he needs a braver or less predictable offensive coordinator. One with more expansive gameplans because our offense is predictable.

Another poor season in the books and an off season of unpredictability. Looks like the Gruden we need is heading to Oakland, so apparently money does matter. We need to sign Cousins up to a long term deal or cut him loose the money we have spent on him for the three years including next year is ridiculous. He'll be paid 10million more than Brady if we franchize him again.

This year aside he has been outstanding down the stretch when it matters for the vast majority. The run he put together two years ago was amazing.

He's made a few poor mistakes this year but I'm giving him a pass for some of them given what he's been made work with. Bound to force throws when Ryan Grant is one of your premier receivers.

I still think it's an absolute no brainer to resign him. Whichever team does won't regret it. The thoughts of Bruce Allen having the say on who we draft to play behind Colt McCoy next year doesn't bare thinking.

If only Allen and Snyder had listened to McCloughan when he was all in on paying him two years ago....

This year aside he has been outstanding down the stretch when it matters for the vast majority. The run he put together two years ago was amazing.

He's made a few poor mistakes this year but I'm giving him a pass for some of them given what he's been made work with. Bound to force throws when Ryan Grant is one of your premier receivers.

I still think it's an absolute no brainer to resign him. Whichever team does won't regret it. The thoughts of Bruce Allen having the say on who we draft to play behind Colt McCoy next year doesn't bare thinking.

If only Allen and Snyder had listened to McCloughan when he was all in on paying him two years ago....

I simply disagree with you on Cousins ability down the stretch in important games. His run two years ago co incides with an easy run of games against losing teams and our abysmal division. In addition we went into the playoffs against Green Bay and Cousins was terrible.

Cousins put up good numbers that year, great numbers in fact and he still wasnt signed to a long contract. There are doubts in the minds of the coaches about his abililty under pressure in my opinion.

But like you I still think we need to sign him long term. No other option makes sense to me. I still think we should try to draft someone for the QB spot. Baker Mayfield may be the one.

Cousins put up good numbers that year, great numbers in fact and he still wasnt signed to a long contract. There are doubts in the minds of the coaches about his abililty under pressure in my opinion.

The coaches don't have that power though. Those decisions are all Allen and Snyder. We saw the same when the Shanahans wanted to play Cousins over RG3 but the front office stopped them.

I have very little doubt that Gruden and McCloughan were Cousins fans from day 1. Allen and Snyder have been anti-Cousins from the start as they still haven't gotten over the balls up of the RG3 trade. Might end up costing us a franchise QB as Cousins has always talked about how important loyalty etc is to him. He gets none of that from the two idiots in charge.

The coaches don't have that power though. Those decisions are all Allen and Snyder. We saw the same when the Shanahans wanted to play Cousins over RG3 but the front office stopped them.

I have very little doubt that Gruden and McCloughan were Cousins fans from day 1. Allen and Snyder have been anti-Cousins from the start as they still haven't gotten over the balls up of the RG3 trade. Might end up costing us a franchise QB as Cousins has always talked about how important loyalty etc is to him. He gets none of that from the two idiots in charge.

We'll see what happens. Cousins still doesnt convince me, I hope I am wrong and he turns out to be a top QB.

We'll see what happens. Cousins still doesnt convince me, I hope I am wrong and he turns out to be a top QB.

He doesn’t convince me either but he’s the best option out there so unless it’s a deal that would cripple the cap and mean they can’t afford to sign top end free agents, I hope they sign him.

He doesn’t convince me either but he’s the best option out there so unless it’s a deal that would cripple the cap and mean they can’t afford too end free agents, I hope they sign him.

I agree, I've said that all season. We need to sign him but I'm not convinced. I also think we should be trying to move up in the draft to take Baker Mayfield.

Speaking of Cousins, the Grant and Danny radio show on 106.7 (where he comes on the morning after games for a segment) have a 2 hour interview with him scheduled for Friday.

Now I doubt he’ll reveal any concrete plans but it might give us an insight into what he’s at least thinking and what he’s expecting from a team, both money wise and for the team in general.

In the post game press conference on Sunday he deflected all questions about his future to this interview so he must have something he wants to tell us.

There’s a podcast of the Grant and Danny show available in all the usual spots and it’s usually uploaded pretty soon after the show.

Speaking of Cousins, the Grant and Danny radio show on 106.7 (where he comes on the morning after games for a segment) have a 2 hour interview with him scheduled for Friday.

Now I doubt he’ll reveal any concrete plans but it might give us an insight into what he’s at least thinking and what he’s expecting from a team, both money wise and for the team in general.

In the post game press conference on Sunday he deflected all questions about his future to this interview so he must have something he wants to tell us.

There’s a podcast of the Grant and Danny show available in all the usual spots and it’s usually uploaded pretty soon after the show.

Sound, thanks for that Jack.

Whats your thoughts on the playoffs?

Sound, thanks for that Jack.

Whats your thoughts on the playoffs?

Don’t know about the playoffs. I’m usually rubbish at predicting things (as you know from the baseball thread!!) so I try not to make predictions. It’s even more of a crap shoot this year I think though.

It’ll be nice watching games without pulling my hair out though.

• Advertisement

Don’t know about the playoffs. I’m usually rubbish at predicting things (as you know from the baseball thread!!) so I try not to make predictions. It’s even more of a crap shoot this year I think though.

It’ll be nice watching games without pulling my hair out though.

I think it's wide open alright. While the Pats and Steelers look solid in the AFC I think Kansas can turn both of them over.

Would like to see the Vikings go all the way in the NFC. Could do it too.

Advertisement