Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Washington Commanders thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Would you take Smith for a couple of years? Baker Mayfield to develop behind him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Would you take Smith for a couple of years? Baker Mayfield to develop behind him?

I would yeah. Especially if he only cost a middle round pick. Don’t know about Mayfield though (although to be fair, I don’t watch too much college football)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

I would yeah. Especially if he only cost a middle round pick. Don’t know about Mayfield though (although to be fair, I don’t watch too much college football)

Mayfield is boom or bust no doubt about it. All the talent in the world in terms of his ability to throw the ball, has some issues with his movement in the pocket, partially because of his size. But he has an IT factor and he's a real team leader. I think he's worth a shot if we can get him in the draft.

I like Alex Smith, seems like a genuine dude.

Entertaining enough interview with Kirk today. Very politician like though, saying loads without saying anything (as expected). If you were just dropped in from space and this was the first you'd heard about this, you'd probably think that he'd definitely be here next year but I still won't be surprised if (when?) he walks away. I can't remember who said it but the Redskins/Kirk thing is like a divorce where neither of the parties want to be the one to say they're leaving and be seen as the bad guy.

Looks like it'll be months before we know for sure what's going to happen though.

He comes across as a very nice bloke though.

Edit - Also didn't realise until today that his agent's name is Mike McCartney and everytime he mentioned his name I had to do a double take thinking he was talking about Mike McCarthy and thought he was signing with the Packers.

I like Kevin Sheehan on ESPN 980 and here's his opinion on yesterday's interview.

http://www.espn980.com/2018/01/05/cousins-interview/

• Advertisement

If its not Cousins it's going to be a free agent so Keenum, Smith, Bridgewater , Bradford, Tyrod Taylor, Kaepernick

I think more than likely Alex Smith would be a good fit for what Gruden wants to do but I dont know if we would give Smith a chance to win and he wants that more than likely. In fact for all those Qb's I think Arizona, Buffalo, Vikings are obviously all better fits, with a much better win now position. I even think there is a likelyhood that the Jags move on from Bortles to one of those Free agents.

We'll be bottom of the ladder which is why we should sign up Cousins to a long contract IMO.

I reckon they’ll end up with Bradford. Typical boring signing.

I reckon they’ll end up with Bradford. Typical boring signing.

Makes sense. Lack of imagination and forward progress.

About a month ago, San Francisco and Jacksonville were two teams favoured to be possible destinations for Cousins. Well Jimmy G's sealed the SF gig and the way Bortles is playing tonight, you could probably mark Jacksonville off the list now too.

Still a few suitors though I'm sure. Denver for one.

About a month ago, San Francisco and Jacksonville were two teams favoured to be possible destinations for Cousins. Well Jimmy G's sealed the SF gig and the way Bortles is playing tonight, you could probably mark Jacksonville off the list now too.

Still a few suitors though I'm sure. Denver for one.

Jacksonville will still look at Cousins IMO he's a vastly superior passer to Bortles.

I think though from what I am hearing coming out of Washington there is every chance we pay up for Cousins.

• Advertisement

Jacksonville will still look at Cousins IMO he's a vastly superior passer to Bortles.

I think though from what I am hearing coming out of Washington there is every chance we pay up for Cousins.

Does he want to play here though? That's the bigger question I think.

Does he want to play here though? That's the bigger question I think.

I think he believes that when fit we have an O Line that can allow him to be successful.

I'm sure Cousins is driven by a need to succeed and to get paid. I think we have a chance at keeping him but we are going to have to pay big $.

Nick Foles might be an interesting alternative to Cousins

I’m actually sick of the whole QB situation now and took the decision about a week ago to tune out until it is finalized.

I am usually a big listener of Washington sports talk radio (either ESPN 980 or 106.7 The Fan) but it’s all “will he sign, won’t he sign, where will be play, who will they sign instead” etc. and I’ve had enough so I’ve stopped listening. I’ve also stopped reading Redskins news on the net too as that’s more of the same.

No one knows anything at this stage so radio stations are filling time and blogs are filling space with pure guesswork and speculation.

I’ll re-engage in March/April when there’s actual news of KC signing, either for Washington or somewhere else.

I’m actually sick of the whole QB situation now and took the decision about a week ago to tune out until it is finalized.

I am usually a big listener of Washington sports talk radio (either ESPN 980 or 106.7 The Fan) but it’s all “will he sign, won’t he sign, where will be play, who will they sign instead” etc. and I’ve had enough so I’ve stopped listening. I’ve also stopped reading Redskins news on the net too as that’s more of the same.

No one knows anything at this stage so radio stations are filling time and blogs are filling space with pure guesswork and speculation.

I’ll re-engage in March/April when there’s actual news of KC signing, either for Washington or somewhere else.

So even in the off season the Redskins disappoint you :)

So even in the off season the Redskins disappoint you :)

Well to be fair, it’s not the Redskins at fault as we are where we are with the QB situation.

I’ve just had enough of the media having to fill space when there’s nothing to report.

Well to be fair, it’s not the Redskins at fault as we are where we are with the QB situation.

I’ve just had enough of the media having to fill space when there’s nothing to report.

One could definitely argue that it's completely the Redskins fault should have signed him up 2 years ago.

With all that said at least there should be plenty of interesting options on the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

I'd have to agree to disagree there..

One could definitely argue that it's completely the Redskins fault should have signed him up 2 years ago.

With all that said at least there should be plenty of interesting options on the market.

Ah yeah, the current predicament is all their own making but I’m on about the media’s non stop covering of it. That’s my current issue.

Looks like or I can tune back in again. Happy enough with Smith. Ok he’s not Joe Montana and probably is a drop off from Kirk, but he’s not the worst and it puts an end to the drama once and for all and isn’t going to be as big a cap hit as Cousins would be (albeit only very slightly). Sad to see Fuller go though, he was good I thought.

Didn’t see this move coming at this time at all. Very surprised to read it this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gerryfed

Was definitely out of left field for me. I don't hate it though. Smith looked fantastic at times this year, and was probably our best option outside overpaying Kirk and the growing pains of a rookie. Definitely a shame to see Fuller go :/ Guess they figured it was a lot easier to replace him in the draft then Kirk. I see Scott had to get a shot in at us over parting with him too... shock.

Do we have any options for getting a return for Cousins? Could we tag him and trade him? Gives whoever (Browns) the head start on him before Free Agency. Even if we could recoup the 3rd! Or do we have the option to trade him now and let whoever sort out the tag/long term deal? Not sure how that works...

I don't see the logic in it at all. Think we've been absolutely fleeced too.

We aren't winning with Alex Smith and we're overpaying him at 23.5 mill a year.

If moving on from Cousins the move to make was to spend a high pick on a QB and let him develop behind McCoy. Now we've got an aging QB, lost a high pick and traded one of the best slot CB's in the league instead. Made a complete balls of the situation from the start but think we've just managed to make it worse. Such a short-sighted move.

Morrison J wrote: »
    I don't see the logic in it at all. Think we've been absolutely fleeced too.

We aren't winning with Alex Smith and we're overpaying him at 23.5 mill a year.

If moving on from Cousins the move to make was to spend a high pick on a QB and let him develop behind McCoy. Now we've got an aging QB, lost a high pick and traded one of the best slot CB's in the league instead. Made a complete balls of the situation from the start but think we've just managed to make it worse. Such a short-sighted move.

If we had a top 5 pick or collateral to move up, I could understand the rookie QB option. But at pick 13, we'd be hoping someone landed in our lap and whoever that was might be our 4th/5th pick of the rookie QBs. Or else we'd have to mortgage the house like with RG3 and try move up to take our 1st/2nd choice.

Sucks losing Fuller alright, but I think it'll be a lot easier to replace him with a 2nd/4th pick then it would be on hitting on a QB.

Plus' and minus' for both sides of the deal though for sure.

gerryfed wrote: »

That’s it. They’ve been in a hole (self inflicted?) ever since they didn’t sign KC two seasons ago and they had to stop digging sometime.

Obviously it’s not the best outcome to the QB situation but it could have ended up worse so I think I’m content enough with the move.

That’s it. They’ve been in a hole (self inflicted?) ever since they didn’t sign KC two seasons ago and they had to stop digging sometime.

Obviously it’s not the best outcome to the QB situation but it could have ended up worse so I think I’m content enough with the move.

That's it. Be interesting to see what Cousins deal is worth, might be easier to compare then how well we done.

Atleast we still have the 1st/2nd rounder and cap space (compared to a new Cousins deal) to improve the team. We should atleast be competitive for the next few years. Hopefully we can hit on a mid-late QB for the long term

If we had a top 5 pick or collateral to move up, I could understand the rookie QB option. But at pick 13, we'd be hoping someone landed in our lap and whoever that was might be our 4th/5th pick of the rookie QBs. Or else we'd have to mortgage the house like with RG3 and try move up to take our 1st/2nd choice.

Sucks losing Fuller alright, but I think it'll be a lot easier to replace him with a 2nd/4th pick then it would be on hitting on a QB.

You don't need a top 5 pick to get your franchise QB. There's a million examples even Cousins himself or Mahomes who the Chiefs are going forward with. It's difficult to draft an elite QB but to get a Smith esque game manager? Not at all.

This is such a short sighted move and looks to me like Bruce Allen knows his job is in jeopardy if they don't win now. Trying to win now is going to be detrimental to our future though as this roster is 8-8 at the very very best.

I'm usually the optimistic one but I don't see the pluses for us in this deal at all.

We've downgraded to an older, worse QB. CB was one of our strongest positions, now it's a weakness given both Breeland and Fuller are gone. We give away a 3rd round pick. How we get a B+ for that trade given everything I've no idea.

The players reactions on social media says it all. Pretty much all of them rightly pissed off.

Morrison J wrote: »
    You don't need a top 5 pick to get your franchise QB. There's a million examples even Cousins himself or Mahomes who the Chiefs are going forward with. It's difficult to draft an elite QB but to get a Smith esque game manager? Not at all.

This is such a short sighted move and looks to me like Bruce Allen knows his job is in jeopardy if they don't win now. Trying to win now is going to be detrimental to our future though as this roster is 8-8 at the very very best.

I'm usually the optimistic one but I don't see the pluses for us in this deal at all.

We've downgraded to an older, worse QB. CB was one of our strongest positions, now it's a weakness given both Breeland and Fuller are gone. We give away a 3rd round pick. How we get a B+ for that trade given everything I've no idea.

The players reactions on social media says it all. Pretty much all of them rightly pissed off.

They get the 3rd round pick back next season (as Cousins will leave as a free agent) so it's really a Fuller for Smith trade.

As for the grade, the general consensus was that Cousins wanted out and wasn't going to be there next season so the alternatives (2nd/3rd round rookie, McCoy, Tyrod Taylor etc.) weren't great and at least they now have a semi-seviceable QB under contract for next season.

I also disagree that Smith is a 'worse' QB. if he is, it is marginal although I'm with you on the age thing.

• Advertisement

They get the 3rd round pick back next season (as Cousins will leave as a free agent) so it's really a Fuller for Smith trade.

As for the grade, the general consensus was that Cousins wanted out and wasn't going to be there next season so the alternatives (2nd/3rd round rookie, McCoy, Tyrod Taylor etc.) weren't great and at least they now have a semi-seviceable QB under contract for next season.

I also disagree that Smith is a 'worse' QB. if he is, it is marginal although I'm with you on the age thing.

But presuming Cousins was off we'd have got a pick as compensation anyway. Instead of having two picks, we have one. So we've lost a pick.

I'd have happily gone with McCoy starting ahead of a rookie QB for this year only but the likes of Sam Bradford or Teddy Bridgewater were far more sensible options with upside and would've let us keep our best young player (imo) in Fuller. I don't think Fuller is easily replaced at all tbh. He's a first round talent who only fell back in the draft because of injuries. He's a big loss in a position we've struggled to properly fill for years.

I think any team would rather have Cousins for the next four years than they would Smith for the next four years. Smith will be turning 38 by the end of the deal, Cousins will still be bang in his prime. Maybe not a a big downgrade this year but going forward I think it definitely is.

With our current roster we aren't going to be good enough to compete properly for 2/3 years by the time Smith will be in his late thirties. That's what I really can't get my head around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

IMG_7538.jpg

Just when you thought it was safe to start listening to Redskins radio again.....

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/960142590531293184

Personally I can't see it happening as the risks are too big but you never know with Snyder/Allen making the decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Just when you thought it was safe to start listening to Redskins radio again.....

Personally I can't see it happening as the risks are too big but you never know with Snyder/Allen making the decisions.

A team would be even crazier to make a trade for him. Would end up paying $34m for the year and he could walk from you after the season is up. I don't think even the Browns would do that to themselves.

Just seems a bit petty by the Redskins. Just let him go when the time allows and quit with the drama.

• Advertisement

Nate Sudfeld has a Superbowl ring!

Don’t think many of us had that at the start of training camp.

Kirk trying to get every last penny before he goes

https://twitter.com/kirkcousins8/status/960974226428715008

Seriously though, who on earth would buy these?

Franchize Kirk, **** it whats to lose other than 35 odd million.

Too many Qb needy teams in the league. One of them will negotiate a long term with Kirk and trade a first round or second rounder to the Redskins for him.

That seems to be the thought process in head office. Is it any wonder we're f***ed every year. Spent the €35 million bringing in Bell, offer him 15 a year for the next 4 years. Then we have a team that could win now.

Having just watched the recent 30 for 30, I think it’s nice that the ‘scabs’ from the 1987 season are finally getting Super Bowl rings.

That performance against Dallas in their last game, knowing they’d be back on the streets the next day, was amazing.

Having just watched the recent 30 for 30, I think it’s nice that the ‘scabs’ from the 1987 season are finally getting Super Bowl rings.

That performance against Dallas in their last game, knowing they’d be back on the streets the next day, was amazing.

Have to agree there Jack. It wont be long until our baseball allegiances lead us in different directions but those 87 scabs deserved their rings!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

Question for you Redskins fans Scab field? Any ideas? Piss take or real

s1nqjb.jpg

TOss Sweep wrote: »
    Question for you Redskins fans Scab field? Any ideas? Piss take or real

s1nqjb.jpg

I've heard it called worse.

I believe it's a piss take though :)

Delighted to see the lads get superbowl rings.

Free agency activity so far (apart from the Cousins/Smith deals)

Breeland - gone to Panthers
    Grant - gone to Ravens
    Hopkins - re-signed
    Richardson - WR comes in from Seattle.

Wilkerson who was rumored to be close to signing ended up signing with GB so they’ll still be chasing somebody for there too.

Today:

Spencer Long - Jets
    Trent Murphy - Bills

Sad to see Murphy go, I liked him.

No news on anyone new coming in yet.

Murphy got paid well in fairness, especially for a guy coming off those injuries and a suspension.

Any word on Zach Brown?? Doesn't look like a Sua Cravens trade is happening any time soon... maybe during the draft I guess

Murphy got paid well in fairness, especially for a guy coming off those injuries and a suspension.

Any word on Zach Brown?? Doesn't look like a Sua Cravens trade is happening any time soon... maybe during the draft I guess

I think Zac Brown's looking for the Brinks Truck to be backed up so he'll probably be gone too.

Brian 'the inappropriately named' Quick has re-signed apparently.

I think Zac Brown's looking for the Brinks Truck to be backed up so he'll probably be gone too.

Yeah I'd say that's it :( would love him back. What else do we need in theory? Guess he fancies Moreau to step up at CB?

Yeah I'd say that's it :( would love him back. What else do we need in theory? Guess he fancies Moreau to step up at CB?

How long have you got...????

Seriously though, I think they need quite a bit.

Running Back, OL, Front 7 on the defence, Secondary.

Wilkerson would have been nice and I'd love them to at least try and get the Honey Badger.

• Advertisement
Advertisement