Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Washington Commanders thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Kamu

I remember my naivete as a teen about 10 years ago.

I got a Redskins hat, and a friend came up to me and said "Nice hat, what do you think about the name? Lots of controversy"

I remember saying something like "Yeah, it's a great looking hat, sure if Natives have an issue with the name, they would have changed the name by now."

My eyes roll thinking about about that conversation and my lack of awareness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 111 ✭✭Deadmou5e

Washington Warriors is the favourite if there’s a name change report CBS. I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Redskins name officially getting retired today it seems. No new name will be announced yet though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Redskins name officially getting retired today it seems. No new name will be announced yet though.

So they'll be just Washington for now.... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Ultima Thule

Deadmou5e wrote: »
    Washington Warriors is the favourite if there’s a name change report CBS. I like it.

Wouldn't 'warriors' following on from the name redskins insinuate native americans to be a violent, and war loving people. Wouldn't be a good replacement at all.

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »
    So they'll be just Washington for now.... :pac:

Suits me!

I’d love it if they kept it at just that but that’s never going to happen. Americans couldn’t cope with a team without a nickname.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Kamu

I know Redtails was thrown out there, but I wouldn't be surprised if they move completely away from colour adjectives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

It'll be a massive shock if they don't go with Red Tails.

It'll be a massive shock if they don't go with Red Tails.

RedWolves has been getting a lot of love too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I read someone spent 20,000 dollars buying up the website domains of all the likely names.

Few would have sympathy for a billionaire owner getting screwed but this cybersquatting isn´t right at all. Hopefully the name will be something else and this chancer loses his money on worthless names.

• Advertisement

mikemac2 wrote: »
    I read someone spent 20,000 dollars buying up the website domains of all the likely names.

Few would have sympathy for a billionaire owner getting screwed but this cybersquatting isn´t right at all. Hopefully the name will be something else and this chancer loses his money on worthless names.

I had heard that as well but this guy has also gone a bit further re trademarks etc. and as you can't just register a load of names and you have to show that you're using the names, he's selling t-shirts with all the names to tick the 'relevant business case' box.

I don't know was he able to get Red Wolves though as that's used by a couple of colleges. The Redskins, sorry Washington will have to come to a trademark agreement with them.

Official statement.

https://twitter.com/_JakeRussell/status/1282661676207218688

It says they will be retiring the name "upon completion of the review". But no mention of when that review will be completed. So they're still the Redskins and will be for some time by the looks o fit. Also, they put the logo on the statement too so they're in no rush to retire that!

I reckon they'll milk this review for a while yet so they'll still be the Redskins for the upcoming season anyway.

And in 'on the field news', Kelvin Harmon has toenailed his ACL and is out for 2020. The already weak WR position just took a hit.

....and back to off field stuff.

Apparently a major scandal involving the Redskins and Snyder in particular is going to break today. There have been rumors the past few days that something major is going down and it will force Snyder to sell the team. All the usual reporters are saying they’ve heard the rumors but aren’t releasing anything until it’s published. Some sort of sex scandal is one thing being said.

EDIT - Lawyers getting involved which could delay the breaking of the story

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-football/report-lawyers-are-involved-pending-washington-football-news

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Christy42

Plenty of rumour that lawyers stopped a lot.

However the crux of what has been released is long term sexual harassment of female employees by high ranking people within the organisation.

Not a surprise from the orginisation that has pimped out cheerleaders for sales previously.

Story from the Washington Post.

https://outline.com/nCZWS5

Christy42 wrote: »
    Plenty of rumour that lawyers stopped a lot.

However the crux of what has been released is long term sexual harassment of female employees by high ranking people within the organisation.

Not a surprise from the orginisation that has pimped out cheerleaders for sales previously.

Story from the Washington Post.

https://outline.com/nCZWS5

The Post had a follow up story today saying there was nothing else. So no orgies, no sex trafficking and no bribing of referees to the tune of $2m. That last one made me laugh. If a 4-12 team is bribing referees, I'd demand my money back.

As for the 'outside legal team' carrying out the review. That's a joke. Someone being paid by Snyder is obviously going to conclude that he did nothing wrong.

I think the general consensus is that the 3 worst owners in American sports are Snyder, James Dolan (Knicks) and The Wilpons (Mets) and as it turns out I'm a fan of the Redskins and Mets. I can't stand basketball but I just know that if I was a fan, I would have somehow ended up supporting the Knicks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,988 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

As for the 'outside legal team' carrying out the review. That's a joke. Someone being paid by Snyder is obviously going to conclude that he did nothing wrong.

NFL seem to be holding back until this review is done (as shady as that review will be). I'd expect they're just going to wait and see which way the wind blows regarding public attention/backlash.

With all that is going on right now the story doesn't seem to have really made a splash in the broader public, so it will all likely be swept under the rug, like most owner infractions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Christy42

Foxtrol wrote: »
    NFL seem to be holding back until this review is done (as shady as that review will be). I'd expect they're just going to wait and see which way the wind blows regarding public attention/backlash.

With all that is going on right now the story doesn't seem to have really made a splash in the broader public, so it will all likely be swept under the rug, like most owner infractions.

Indeed. Which is a pity. The same toxic work environment will continue there and likely other teams.

Yeah I never bought the bribing thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Just when one thinks things could not get any worse for the Skins their culture was toxic for years and for anyone who has worked in such an environment it boils down to a lack of leadership. Ignoring this as Snyder did is enabling and encouraging this disgraceful behaviour.

I do disagree with the name change however based on one reason: There has not been a poll that suggests an overwhelming majority of Native Americans are against it. Changing the name of a football team is not going to make their lives better. But I do concede that in these momentous times this had an air of inevitability about it. Plus the bottom line is the business and when major sponsors started yanking their brands Snyder had to change his mind.

I still see RG3 jersies occasionally around town so Redskins gear will be still ubiquitous in the DMV but this could be a fresh start although still cant see Snyder selling one of the storied franchises in American sport.

New name and new culture could mean a return to a new RFK stadium which is where they belong.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-football/nbc-sports-washingtons-julie-donaldson-be-hired-washington-nfl-team-lead-radio

Snyder: "Lads, we're in the sh1t here with all this sexual harassment stuff. Anyone got some ideas to get the heat off us?
    Board: "Why don't we hire a woman for the radio broadcast? That'll show everyone that we have everything fixed and there's nothing to see here."
    Snyder: "Good idea. Find me some chick in the media that will put up with my crap, preferably someone who used to be Miss Florida or something".

There might be a bit of smoke and mirrors going on here but....

https://twitter.com/ChadwikoRCC/status/1285905248691777539

Redskins officially dead.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1286334173947613184

Player numbers on helmets. As I've said before I'd love it if they left it as Washington Football Club and keeping the helmets with the player numbers. Too much money in branding though for them not to adopt a nick name.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

Redskins officially dead.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1286334173947613184

Player numbers on helmets. As I've said before I'd love it if they left it as Washington Football Club and keeping the helmets with the player numbers. Too much money in branding though for them not to adopt a nick name.

Yeah it's only an interim name, they moved too slowly and allowed most of the options to be bought up by some chancer.

img-5994.png

img-6402.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

17 nil down to 24-17 up... just finish the game out now for a great start to the season

Advertisement