Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crisp Sandwiches

• 08-10-2012 2:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭

The missus is from the States and this traditional concoction is something she can't quite get her head around. Is it a uniqely irish thing? If so, should we not spread it to the masses - i'm eating one right now and i can think of no better snack on this earth!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

sugar sammiches, remember them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

That sounds bizarre. What goes into it besides the sugar? I want to try this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Loaf bread and butter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

nothing, just butter the bread then spread sugar. my mam used to eat them years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Never heard of them, would have added a bit of sugar when having banana sandwiches though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

nothing, just butter the bread then spread sugar. my mam used to eat them years ago

Used to do them with brown suger and peanut butter myself. Yum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Me ma did them too. Loved them when I was a child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I'm going to try out this sugar sandwich tomorrow. Sounds like it could be strangely delicious.

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    Never heard of them, would have added a bit of sugar when having banana sandwiches though.
    Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Used to do them with brown suger and peanut butter myself. Yum!

See the difference of the generations...it was one or the other when I was growing up. No such thing as choice,,,fcek it, sugar was a treat.

I'm going to try out this sugar sandwich tomorrow. Sounds like it could be strangely delicious.

Use proper bread, not sliced pan ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

The missus is from the States and this traditional concoction is something she can't quite get her head around. Is it a uniqely irish thing? If so, should we not spread it to the masses - i'm eating one right now and i can think of no better snack on this earth!
    Crisps and Galtee cheese is a favourite of mine.

I remember a couple of my brothers eating sugar sandwiches when we were young,it used to disgust me watching them eating them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

tippspur wrote: »
    Crisps and Galtee cheese is a favourite of mine.

Heretic!

A crisp sammich consists of fresh white bread, butter and potato crisps.

Adding other stuff to it means it no longer qualifies as a crisp samwidge.

Why tamper with perfection?

Chucken wrote: »
    Loaf bread and butter!
    Now you're talking,throw in some Galtee cheese there.

tippspur wrote: »
    Now you're talking,throw in some Galtee cheese there.

Nah. the Galtee cheese is for melting on toast :D

Heretic!

A crisp sammich consists of fresh white bread, butter and potato crisps.

Adding other stuff to it means it no longer qualifies as a crisp samwidge.

Why tamper with perfection?

Tayto :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

As long as the bread is fresh, crisp sandwiches are awesome! I do also remember sugar sandwiches. Buttery bread with loads of sugar poured over one slice with the second added for the top.

But what we used to do was cut a tomato in half and dunk the cut side into a sugar bowl until it was heavily encrusted in sugar and eat that.

We now all wonder where the type 2 diabetes came from!

3rdDegree wrote: »
    As long as the bread is fresh, crisp sandwiches are awesome! I do also remember sugar sandwiches. Buttery bread with loads of sugar poured over one slice with the second added for the top.

But what we used to do was cut a tomato in half and dunk the cut side into a sugar bowl until it was heavily encrusted in sugar and eat that.

We now all wonder where the type 2 diabetes came from!

:D

We used to "butter" weetabix!
    Fast food :cool:

Just remembered, picking rhubarb from the garden and dipping that in the sugar too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I haven't have a crisp sambo in over a year.
    Might make one tomorrow as we've got a big ol' back of the deep ridged Walkers crisps and a fresh baker's pan. Goddamnit, AH, yis are puttin' me off my diet! :D
    Never had a sugar sandwedge. Sounds bizarre.

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

savour the flavour, cos my all encompassing mono crisp is in development I'll give you a clue: it's a little bit cajun / it's a little bit bland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Really fresh bread, butter and nearly a full bag of crisps......my supper tonight. God, am still drooling about it!

Just thinking about horrible sandwiches - I remember when I was a kid, a few other kids used to have salad cream and orange sarnies! That's still giving me the shivers 30something years later!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Sure they eat peanut butter sambos on that horrible sweet bread. What would they know?
    Fresh white bread, Dairygold, slice of ham, and about half a packet of cheese and onion Hunky Doreys. Delish man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Crisps and coleslaw on a crusty roll.

Drools on keyboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

I love sandwiches and I love crisps, yet somehow the combination of both I find strangely dissatisfying!! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

What about buttered digestive biscuits - they are another amazing snack. Are they uniquely Irish too??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

My Ma used to give me white bread cut up, sugar, and milk in a bowl. There are a lot of things I don't miss about the 80s!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jeni

My granddad used to give us sugar sambos, slice of turn over bread and real butter and then thick sugar used to love them ;)

In school we used to have cheese sambos with meanies lol rather nice ;)

I heard recently someone used to have vinegar sambos now that to me just sounds wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

What about buttered digestive biscuits - they are another amazing snack. Are they uniquely Irish too??

Deadly, i love it. I saw a woman put some marmalade on a ferero rocher one time. I nearly got sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The secret to crisp sandwiches is dont try to be fancy. No weird bakers bread you slice yourself and pan fried crisps. Fresh Brennans bread, kerrygoald butter and king crisps, thats all you need

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

+1 Hells Yeah!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

McChubbin wrote: »
    I haven't have a crisp sambo in over a year.
    Might make one tomorrow as we've got a big ol' back of the deep ridged Walkers crisps and a fresh baker's pan. Goddamnit, AH, yis are puttin' me off my diet! :D
    Never had a sugar sandwedge. Sounds bizarre.

Oh no you didn't tayto or king only!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Fresh bread, ham and grated cheese - bung it into the george foreman until the cheese has melted and the bread begins to crisp a bit it. Take it out whip off the top slice. Bung about half a packet of cheese and onion hunky doreys into it and replace the top slice.

Cut down the middle and serve with a pot o'Tae - life becomes wonderful for a few minutes!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Monster Munch sandwich...............Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Is it bad that I like Dorito sandwiches? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

Cheese and onion crisps and peanut butter, yum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

A regular occurance would be to open a bag of Hunky Dorys (cheese and onion), sprinkle in some Worchester Sauce and Tabasco, shake the bag and bung the result into a buttered sandwich. Strangely nice but as this was usually done under the influence, I don't know if the taste would go well with sobriety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

it has to be accompanied by a mug of tea for the full effect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I love good sambos really mature Cheddar pikalilli chutney if its toasted bread Im a happy camper...

Coslaw is shredded raw carrot and cabbage in mayo how can any one want that? Eww

Is it bad that I like Dorito sandwiches? :pac:

Yes :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

Crisp wraps are savage aswell - bit of BBQ sauce, salt & vinegar crisps, and a daycent amount of cheese. Unreal after a night out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I like crisps and I like sandwiches, though I've never had the urge to combine 'em. When alternative options include a roast chicken sandwich, rare roast beef or ham, the crisp sambo's been a local delicacy I've found easy to pass on.

It's obviously something that just works but I find the idea a bit off-putting tbh. Ditto the chip-butty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Crisp sambos kick ass. Usually though i dont actually bother to make the sambo - i put a crisp in my mouth then bite the bread - who has time to actually make sambos these days!

Also, i worked with a girl from slovakia, who was absolutely disgusted by chip sambos - she just couldn't understand why anybody would put chips on bread - weirdo!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The missus is from the States

seems recognised there
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crisp_sandwich
    A crisp sandwich (in British English), chip sandwich, chipwich or potato chip sandwich (in North American or Australian English)

Potato chip sandwiches are sometimes referred to as "trailer park cuisine"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Fried eggs sandwiches with tomato sauce trumps crisp sandwiches any day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

I'm eating a BBQ Hula Hoop sandwich right now....yum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

Toasted cheese sandwiches, with brown bread and dubliner cheddar, then when they're done open them up, stuff them with crisps, and shove them closed again so the cheese is still melted all over them. For the choice of crisps, Taytos, either cheese and onion or smokey bacon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

It is a Tayto Sandwich, you can't be Irish and call it crisp sandwich really.

Another one is tea with small bit of milk, 2 spoons of sugar and then tear up slices of white bread and put them into the tea.

Anyone else do this??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Monster Munch sandwich...............Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Bl**dy lovely. At school I used to toss out all the good stuff that my mum lovinly stuffed my sandwiches with (ham, cheese, tomatoes, lettuce etc) and replaced it all with monster munch. Preferably the pickled onion ones.

One of the biggest disappointments of my youth was when, instead of ham or cheese, she put in that awful paste stuff out of those little jars (anyone remember what I mean?)....cause then I couldn't take it out and replace it with crisps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

I used to have apple sandwiches with sugar when i was younger,wouldn't eat them now tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Momento Mori

So bad but so good.

Crisp sandwich <3

• Advertisement
Advertisement