Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling gold.

Options
  • 08-10-2012 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,437 ✭✭✭✭

Is it possible to sell gold?If I had a twenty four carot gold necklace for example(I don't)rather than go to Cash For Gold could I cut out the middle man and sell direct or melt it down and sell it as a giant nugget.Just curiosity I'm not planning a heist.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,442 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Jewellery is worth more than it's weight in gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,437 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Victor wrote: »
    Jewellery is worth more than it's weight in gold.

I may be wrong but I don't think Cash For Gold are paying $1500 an ounce or whatever it is at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,998 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

kneemos wrote: »
    Is it possible to sell gold?If I had a twenty four carot gold necklace for example(I don't)rather than go to Cash For Gold could I cut out the middle man and sell direct or melt it down and sell it as a giant nugget.Just curiosity I'm not planning a heist.

Don't go to a cash for gold place, as already posted they rip you off, a proper jewellers will give you a good price. Don't bother with melting it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

As far as i know the big places don't buy by the ounce. They buy ingot's. So you'd need to get enough to make an ingot.Then get someone professional to test the purity of it and then they might buy it from you at the going rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you want to sell gold, a reputable jeweler is better than the "Cash4Gold" type places. I don't think wholesale dealers would deal directly with the public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Even if you had enough gold to make an ingot (for investment purposes usually a kilobar or approx 35 ounces, spot price in excess of $60,000) and sell on the market you would need to pay for it to be valued professional having its purity tested which would probably cost over 1,000 and then you would have to pay brokerage which could run to another few hundred and then shipping to wherever the point of delivery used by your brokers are.

For these reasons investors holding assets in the form of gold rarely touch or even see the gold. Trade in gold to the most part is based on exchange traded funds which are based on companies that hold the gold in safes and you trade a financial security with the claim to the gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,437 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Suppose I went prospecting and found a few ounces what would I do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,442 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You would get a licence from the Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Conroy finds more gold targets in Co Cavan

Advertisement