Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 153: Silva vs Bonnar

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Mellor wrote: »
    Comparing Silva to Mayweather is a total disservice to Silva.

Silva Jones or silva GSP would both break UFC PPV records (GSP is a huge draw in canada). But I don't think either would top Mayweather Pacquaio.

I'd say it would do closer to 2 million buys, plus the advertising revenue would be huge. The the main and maybe co-main fighter would get roughly what you guess imo, plus what ever they coukld get from sponsors. Even guys on the rest of the card, would do well with sponsors. With triple the amount of viewers, they could easily ask for triple the money.

Not a hope, Lesnar brought shed loads of new fans aswell as the old fans and was near 1.6 million, 1.6 Would be the max i would see this fight going to, There is not going to be loads of new fans that would suddenly be buying this event because their fighting each other, only 8 of the UFC ppv went 1 million or more with all bar the mir v lesnar 1 been 1.1million or less. Silva v Sonnen 2 got 1 million and it was oct 2010 that a million had been reached before that. In reality most UFC events sell out at about 500,000

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

cowzerp wrote: »

Not a hope, Lesnar brought shed loads of new fans aswell as the old fans and was nowhere near 1.6 million, 1.6 Would be the max i would see this fight going to, There is not going to be loads of new fans that would not buy suddenly buying this event because their fighting each other, only 8 of the UFC ppv went 1 million or more with all bar the mir v lesnar 1 been 1.1million or less. Silva v Sonnen 2 got 1 million and it was oct 2010 that a million had been reached before that. In reality most UFC events sell out at about 500,000
    Thought ufc 100 hit 1.6 million buys

Thought ufc 100 hit 1.6 million buys

was meant to say not near 2 mill, i edited and left the nowhere near bit in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

unknown13 wrote: »
    The problem with Anderson and this talk, is that he obiltarated an ex-LHW champion in his own division and destroyed Irvin & Bonnar at LHW. He hasn't left the first at LHW.

Of course people want Anderson to fight Jones. He has been destructive in every LHW fight he has fought in the UFC.

I have no problem with people wanting to see the fight.

What I DO have a problem with is people using the fight not happening as a weapon to diminish the acheivements of a guy who is the best fighter to have ever stepped foot inside the cage.

Some people will always seek to to this to Silva, to do it to GSP and as Jones builds a legacy at LHW like Silva has at MW, to him too.

One thing that is certainly for sure is that........ haters always gonna hate!

Just thinking that beating Erick Silva took would surely make you ponder your future in the sport. You have to imagine your going on in something that will surely visit you again.
    Also how was his face not cut!.

I dunno. A fight like that could be the making of him. I dunno if I was the only one who made big money from Fitch being under rated in this fight, but it was obvious that Silva would be facing different skills than he had in previous fights.

He's a young enough guy and had a great run. If he has the character, he will take this loss as a learning experience and make sure that when he comes up against a similar guy to Fitch again he'll have the skills to combat them!

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    What I DO have a problem with is people using the fight not happening as a weapon to diminish the acheivements of a guy who is the best fighter to have ever stepped foot inside the cage.

Some people will always seek to to this to Silva, to do it to GSP and as Jones builds a legacy at LHW like Silva has at MW, to him too.

I genuinely believe GSP would beat Silva, He is like a better, stronger striking version of Chael with better submission defense, This fight should happen but at Silva's weight, And in reality if Silva can beat him then why not test himself v Jones, That's what the true greats do.

cowzerp wrote: »
    I genuinely believe GSP would beat Silva, He is like a better, stronger striking version of Chael with better submission defense, This fight should happen but at Silva's weight, And in reality if Silva can beat him then why not test himself v Jones, That's what the true greats do.

I agree with you on GSP. If they fight I think GSP will win it.

But my point is, Silva shouldn't have to bow to pressure to put himself into a situation where he's fighting the champion of a higher weight class than his (Jon Jones) just so he can protect the legacy he's built already.

The same goes for GSP!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Just thinking that beating Erick Silva took would surely make you ponder your future in the sport. You have to imagine your going on in something that will surely visit you again.
    Also how was his face not cut!.

He'll be alright. He won't be so cocky next time that's for sure.
    He could have easily won the fight 2 if Fitch wasn't so sick at escaping submissions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

jayteecork wrote: »
    He could have easily won the fight 2 if Fitch wasn't so sick at escaping submissions

Yeah that was some escape!. Im not so sure he will be alright though, i see it similar to letting a top 2-Y-O have a hard race on firm ground pitched in against top opposition first time out. Could go either way but more likely jar him up.
    Hopefully hes a good horse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Probably actually be good for his career, he was far too cocky. How good was Fitch though... genuinely never thought I would hear myself utter those words!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

John Fitch is one of the beastiest beasts there has ever been.
    Eric Silva will probably keep fighting alright but that was a horrific beating he took and at the end of the day its the ref and doctors fault in my view and that fight should've been stopped much much earlier. He was stubborn and wouldn't give in but it was a clear case where the ref should've stopped further damage being done to his head cut or not and same goes for Maldonado while we're at it... one of the toughest things I've ever seen in my life but jaysus it should've been stopped (I know people will say well didn't he nearly drop Glover with that punch end of round 1? I don't give a sh1t it should've been stopped earlier than it was... and there's been a few of those now and it sickens me... either it's a sport with rounds and clear safety rules or it's a knacker fight... can't be both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I don't think the Silva v Fitch fight should have been stopped. But I totally agree with the Maldonado fight. That was tough to watch. I genuinely thought he was gonna drop dead in the cage there and then. He has a chin of steel but he took some seriously awful punishment and it should have been stopped much earlier. I actually feared for his safety and was shouting at the tv to stop it at one point!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I have no problem with people wanting to see the fight.

You forgot Fedor at HW..;)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Maldonado is a beast but he should have shaved his head and tried to get into shape before the fight.
    I know he took the fight at short notice but it looked like they pulled him out of a homeless shelter and offered him a case of scotch and a sandwich for the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭SevereMMA

I agree with you on GSP. If they fight I think GSP will win it.

I disagree with both of you, I think Anderson would finish GSP

I don't even see it being that close, I want to see Jones vs Anderson, that would be epic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

I don't know how people can think GSP wins that fight, especially after seeing Silva operate in his last two fun day outs but there ya go... that's what makes it a great sport to follow... and argue about.

I give GSP a chance of course but only if he managed to do what everyone says everybody needs to do... get him down and beat him up... GSP would/could not submit Silva and would suffer a KO/TKO trying to get him down... AND loses badly if he tries to keep it up... that's my view.

GSP is not as naturally talented at the art of fighting (i.e. reflex-wise, footwork speed or accuracy OR speed of striking) as Silva and is not a large welterweight so there's no comparison between Silva going up to fight at 205 and GSP going up to fight Silva. The odds are too much in favor of Silva.. if GSP was 2.5 inches taller and longer AND HAD SUCCESSFULLY FINISHED HIS LAST SAY 3 OPPONENTS IN A ROW then I actually would change my mind, to a large but not definitive degree but he's not and he didn't.

He has power... a lot of power.... but Silva is actually stronger than GSP physically in all ways, I genuinely think that.

Silva moves quicker than GSP... fact

Silva is longer... fact

Silva will weigh more.. in the cage... i.e. be actually bigger come bell time.

Silva is better has better pure jujitsu... no?

GSP specifically does not carry a blatant KO strike capability in his arsenal that can be highlighted especially against Silva who demands high speed high level high power striking a kin to the likes of Machida and his lack of reach and a long list of other reasons makes his ability to KO Silva on his feet utterly ignorable.

GSP has gas for days but his recently ingrained style is one of controlling (brilliantly vs other welters) on the feet using take downs when necessary (defensively and at end of rounds etc I'm not knocking him I'm a huge fan but just calling it as it is)

His smaller size and lesser strength means that his ideal strategy (TDs) is less likely to work because a really active and dangerous Silva guard (striking and moving constantly dynamic and waiting for explosive triangles or sweeps) will not be easily overpowered and controlled or dominated easily by GSP and his old school elbows with his smaller size and, I think, lesser power.

Just doesn't add up and I think the vast majority of pundits give it to Silva... have said so already or would say so in a lonnnng list pros pick column on sherdog.

You gotta have some serious faith and be a die hard GSP fan all the way if you see him taking the W.. rather than simply seeing him as having 'a chance' in my view.... which he does... at 3-1 odds if I was settin em (+300?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You gotta have some serious faith and be a die hard GSP fan all the way if you see him taking the W.. rather than simply seeing him as having 'a chance' in my view.... which he does... at 3-1 odds if I was settin em (+300?)

I agree that Silva is the hands down favourite. I pick him as the winner everytime. But if a bookie opens at 3-1 for GSP, I'd stick a decent amount on and look to lay off when the line moves.

I say a couple of bookies might take bets on it after the Condit fight.

I agree that Silva is the hands down favourite. I pick him as the winner everytime.

But if offered 3-1 on GSP, I'd take it. I say a couple of bookies might take bets on it after the Condit fight.

I have to agree.
    If GSP comes back in good form and the bookies gave 3-1, I'd definitely lash a few quid on it. That'd be massive odds. I doubt you'd get that though.

It wint be the normal price I'd say the best price for each will be around 2/1 GSP and 1/2 Silva.

Sometimes random Bookies have prices up before a fight is booked. Say as long as it happens by 31st Dec 2013 the price stands. That's where you get a crazy price like 3/1, keep the eyes peeled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Dean09 wrote: »
    I don't think the Silva v Fitch fight should have been stopped. But I totally agree with the Maldonado fight. That was tough to watch. I genuinely thought he was gonna drop dead in the cage there and then. He has a chin of steel but he took some seriously awful punishment and it should have been stopped much earlier. I actually feared for his safety and was shouting at the tv to stop it at one point!!
    Its crazy, you see some refs stop fights as soon as a guy gets knocked down but maldonado couldnt even stand ffs. I really dont know why refs dont stop it just because a guy is standing and this was even worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

RoboRat wrote: »
    Probably actually be good for his career, he was far too cocky. How good was Fitch though... genuinely never thought I would hear myself utter those words!

Fitch turned me around, I was cheering like mad for him. He put a beating on Silva in his own backyard after nearly a year out of the cage and surgery. Huge respect for him and he was trying to finish that fight for sure and almost did.

Ush1 wrote: »

Fitch turned me around, I was cheering like mad for him. He put a beating on Silva in his own backyard after nearly a year out of the cage and surgery. Huge respect for him and he was trying to finish that fight for sure and almost did.
    Yeah he gets a lot of stick for not finishing fights but you could see he was really trying to finish it. Silva was just too difficult to stop though. A lesser opponent wouldn't have lasted all three rounds like that.
    Really impressed with that performance from Fitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Re GSP v Silva:

I actually think GSP takes this fight. Silva's takedown defence is very, very good and if he succeeds in defending he'll punish like no other BUT I don't think he could defend GSPs level of wrestling. Now GSP has a horrible injury to overcome and the Condit fight will be a good indicator of whether he can regain form, but if he does I think GSP v Silva should happen and I think GSP will run away with it. Silva is good on his back no doubt but I think GSP is too experienced to get caught. Only a truly world class BJJ athlete could hope to catch him and Silva is good but not that good at BJJ.

And that's what it would be - GSP outwrestling and Silva trying to catch him in vain. I'd put money on it no matter the odds.

Ironically, I think that Silva could take Jones by KO or sub. Harder to call but possible. Jones' natural ability is unreal but I think for a fighter like Silva, experience, gameplan and execution is most important and there is no-one that gameplans like GSP. He has stood his last few fights not to prove anything but because he knew he'd control where the fight took place and win it there.

I'm assuming here GSP v Silva at CW of 180 and Silva v Jones at 205. Jones would spank GSP man-v-boy style by sheer size alone but Silva could compete on equal ground with both. All great fighters but the styles dictate the fights and this is pretty much rock, paper, scissors.

Of course I'd be delighted to be proven wrong as long as I get to see both fights actually happen! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

dickwod1 wrote: »
    I cant believe Bonnar got this fight, Hes fought no one of importance in 3 years and he gets a title shot?
    They should have left the spider out of 153 and put him in to 154 v Bisping (have a look at Bisping's fight record http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Bisping and a much better fighter who could do it IMHO)
    Far far better than Sonnan's record http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephan_Bonnar and I dont think he even has a puncher's chance as Silva will do the Matrix moves on him and Bonnar wont even get close.

Apart from me saying this was a title shot (my mistake) I was absolutely spot on with my prediction.

Silva v Jones/GSP would be awesome but he said he wont fight at anything other than 185lb again.

Bring on Bisping :D

Apart from me saying this was a title shot (my mistake) I was absolutely spot on with my prediction.
    Come on, saying Silva will smash him with ridiculous moves isn't much of a prediction, I think every knew that was happening. I think Silva was the shortest odds I've ever seen.

Come on, saying Silva will smash him with ridiculous moves isn't much of a prediction, I think every knew that was happening. I think Silva was the shortest odds I've ever seen.

Well I didnt say he would smash him with ridiculous moves I said ... "I dont think he (Bonner) even has a puncher's chance as Silva will do the Matrix moves on him and Bonnar wont even get close".

Silva stood still his back against the cage hands down head moving like Neo seeing everything coming in slow motion and Bonner couldnt do a thing and when Silva wanted to finish him he finished him in seconds.

And as I said ... "I cant believe Bonnar got this fight, Hes fought no one of importance in 3 years" and it showed Silva slipped and fell against the cage at the start and Bonner couldnt take him down or do anything at all really.

And as I said ... "I cant believe Bonnar got this fight, Hes fought no one of importance in 3 years" and it showed Silva slipped and fell against the cage at the start and Bonner couldnt take him down or do anything at all really.

That was fair enough when you though it was a title fight, but for a non title fight it didn't make sense tbh. Who would you expect to step up at short notice? Nobody in any way near the top of the division is going to as the risks don't out weigh the gains.

Well without being sidetracked and back to my post today #175 I was right with my prediction and my post of #177 explained that.

lol
    And back to my post #176, its wasn't much of a "prediction", nobody gave him a shot.

• Advertisement

lol
    And back to my post #176, its wasn't much of a "prediction", nobody gave him a shot.

lol we will agree to disagree then ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

Will you send me your predictions before every fight? I could make a lot of money with your expertise.

ok, real world. Bonnar was a lamb to the slaughter, you and anyone else with half a brain could see that.

weemcd wrote: »
    Will you send me your predictions before every fight? I could make a lot of money with your expertise.

ok, real world. Bonnar was a lamb to the slaughter, you and anyone else with half a brain could see that.

Ok smarty pants I didnt just say Bonnar would lose I said ..."I dont think he (Bonner) even has a puncher's chance as Silva will do the Matrix moves on him and Bonnar wont even get close".

Silva stood still his back against the cage hands down head moving like Neo seeing everything coming in slow motion and Bonner couldnt do a thing and when Silva wanted to finish him he finished him in seconds.

There was alot of people on this very thread saying Bonnar could K.O. Silva or go the distance (Mellor included as he betted on that)

So read previous posts before you write stupid annoying comments

Enough said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

Ok smarty pants I didnt just say Bonnar would lose I said ..."I dont think he (Bonner) even has a puncher's chance as Silva will do the Matrix moves on him and Bonnar wont even get close".

There was alot of people on this very thread saying Bonnar could K.O. Silva or go the distance (Mellor included as he betted on that)

So read previous posts before you write stupid annoying comments

Enough said.

I saw the fight, I have watched it a few times, thanks for telling me what happened again, also posting almost the same thing word for word more than once the same thread.

Now if we want to nit pick, Bonnar was close plenty of times, in fact most of the fight was spent with the fighters pressing each other into the cage with the two exchanging punches, elbows and knees, can't get much closer than that tbh.

Yup, the smallest of all by 153 bets.
    But that doesn't mean I thought it would happen. It just means I thought happens enough to be value, which doesn't need to be often given the odds.

I still thought that Silva finishes him most of the time, but some of the time Bonnar got a 3 round hiding and comes out smiling.

Bonnar was close plenty of times, in fact most of the fight was spent with the fighters pressing each other into the cage with the two exchanging punches, elbows and knees, can't get much closer than that tbh.

I dont think you were watching the same fight at all I'd say Bonnar landed two maybe three significant strikes at best lots of baby punches and knees to keep busy but It was the most one sided fight I,ve seen in ages
    I saw the fight, I have watched it a few times, thanks for telling me what happened again, also posting almost the same thing word for word more than once the same thread.

As for re-posting the same thing twice its called reiterating a point as you had obviously not read my past post or you wouldnt have said such smart arsed nonsense
    Yup, the smallest of all by 153 bets.
    But that doesn't mean I thought it would happen. It just means I thought happens enough to be value, which doesn't need to be often given the odds.

I still thought that Silva finishes him most of the time, but some of the time Bonnar got a 3 round hiding and comes out smiling.

I know what you mean he does indeed but weemcd was trying to say "Bonnar was a lamb to the slaughter, you and anyone else with half a brain could see that" just pointing out some people thought he had an outside chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭The Bored One

My prediction is that dickwod1 will not recieve praise and adulation from all during this thread.

My prediction is that dickwod1 will not recieve praise and adulation from all during this thread.

:rolleyes:I wont receive praise and adulation awwh now im gonna cry:rolleyes:,

OH no wait I wont because I dont care :P

Advertisement