Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is the Day of Reckoning upon us? What d'you reckon?

• 08-10-2012 9:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

After watching Ken Barlow (if that is his real name) chatting/ranting to The Man With the Head Like a Kicked In Pea Can (if that is his real name, the 'Who's in the House?' fellow) on RTE last night about December 21st this year, how all the 'bad' will be removed from the Earth by 'The Creator' (this Creator chap sounds ominous), and only the 'good' will remain (to be 'good' you have to meditate and be made up of Pure Love, don't you know, according to Ken), it got me ruminating once more upon this ever encroaching topic/fallacy.

Will anything happen? If so, what?! I think, if nothing happens, it'll be immensely disappointing. What are we supposed to do, go back to our humdrum day to day lives, sit on our hands (if you're that way inclined) and await the next impending apocalypse? I've lived through Big Bother, The Only Way Is Euthanasia, The Gaudy Shore, Prat Kenny, The Man With the Head Like a Kicked In Pea Can, Sycophant & Dec, you name it - I've suffered through it. The Four Horsemen riding across the sky on December 21st would be a breeze. (P.S. Would they really be riding horses? How archaic. I rather fancy they'd prefer to arrive in souped-up boy racer cars with blacked out windows - this is the 21st Century after all (for better or for worse) - now that would really put the fear of The Creator into me.)

Anyhow, put me out of my misery, what do you think is going to happen? (Hopefully something expressly miserable.) Will all the bad be eradicated from the world? (That'd spell the end for boards.ie then.) Since we've evolved as a people up to this point, will we begin a period of devolution and revert back to caveman types? (I believe this has already begun to happen, Brian Cowen anybody?)

If nothing does happen, well I need something to cling to, are any calenders by any other ancient civilisations due to reach their end dates anytime soon?

Come Armageddon Come!

(I'm sure this thread has been done before, but I don't have time to wade through hundreds of past topics, I have laborious messages packed full of superfluous parentheses to construct - I hope you understand.)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Nothing, everyone will go about their ridiculous Christmas shopping without even realising the date until the day after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

I reckon so. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I'm gonna wait until 22nd before I do the chrsitams shopping, just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

It's quite astounding that in the year that is supposed to be the latest apocalypse that there have been virtually no disaster movies along the lines of the day after tomorrow and 2012.

Whaaaa I want a good disaster movie - cant wait till December tbh....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

Come Armageddon Come!

(I'm sure this thread has been done before,but I don't have time to wade through hundreds of past topics, I have laborious messages packed full of superfluous parentheses to construct - I hope you understand.)

You don't have time to use the search function? You could've said that at the start and I wouldn't have wasted MY time reading your OP!! :mad:

• Advertisement

Where will be the best place for us all to go if floods and earthquakes start happening that day? Offaly? Jesus that'd be horrible

gozunda wrote: »
    It's quite astounding that in the year that is supposed to be the latest apocalypse that there have been virtually no disaster movies along the lines of the day after tomorrow and 2012.

Whaaaa I want a good disaster movie - cant wait till December tbh....

Prometheus was fairly disastrous, such a letdown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Recon it will be a bit of craic whatever happens.

Anyone else going for a piss up that night :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Thousands of people will die on December 22.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

Do a google on the Mayan predictions for 2012.

Or read this

http://www.crystalskulls.com/mayan-2012-predictions.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Quirk_Douglas

kneemos wrote: »

Only thousands? I like my odds!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

kneemos wrote: »

...And just as many will be born. ;)

The world will continue to rotate.
    Humans will continue to procreate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Apparently one of the predictions is , we're going to be swallowed up by a black hole , theres no escaping that .....

But I've heard more about these bloody black holes lately than any other time in my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Apparently one of the predictions is , we're going to be swallowed up by a black hole , theres no escaping that .....

But I've heard more about these bloody black holes lately than any other time in my life.

By any chance have you recently started going out with a Nigerian man.......?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Recon it will be a bit of craic whatever happens.

Anyone else going for a piss up that night :cool:

Why did somebody tell you the time the world is going to end... Do you know information your not telling......

Take a look outside your house .....right now.... If you see a icecream van outside there's a good chance the government have 2 of their finest spies watching you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

The OP made me laugh. (also, hurray! Smiths reference!) Thanks for that!

As I understand it, the Mayan calendar stops on Dec 21 2012, it doesn't say anything about an apocalypse as far as I know, just that the old 'phase' will end and a new one begin. Since its based on astronomy Id guess that has something to do with astronomical phases. It's not something Im very familiar with, but Im guessing with all our modern doodad's we'd be more capable of spotting an oncoming asteroid or black hole threatening to engulf us more accurately than the Mayans could.

My take on it is that the Mayans did a pretty good job making a calendar predicting astronomical events 500+ years into the future and maybe they got that far and thought, "thats far enough, we can update it later" but never got around to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

From my limited knowledge in this area, Mayan scholars have said there is no reference to the world ending in December. Not even they think it. If you know anything about the laws of physics, you won't believe a word of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You don't even need to know anything about physics, simple cop on is all you need.

Claiming that the world will end because a calendar does is like claiming that the world will end tonight at 23:59:59 when we run out of numbers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I'm going to find a barn to jump off. I'll definitely be saved before I hit the ground. definitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Hasn't been a good silly scare round these parts since Y2K.

Cue people buying supplies for the end and then feeling like numpties the ensuing days afterwards :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

With luck the rapture will take all those god botherers away and leave the rest of us to be happy.

The OP made me laugh. (also, hurray! Smiths reference!) Thanks for that!

As I understand it, the Mayan calendar stops on Dec 21 2012, it doesn't say anything about an apocalypse as far as I know, just that the old 'phase' will end and a new one begin. Since its based on astronomy Id guess that has something to do with astronomical phases. It's not something Im very familiar with, but Im guessing with all our modern doodad's we'd be more capable of spotting an oncoming asteroid or black hole threatening to engulf us more accurately than the Mayans could.

My take on it is that the Mayans did a pretty good job making a calendar predicting astronomical events 500+ years into the future and maybe they got that far and thought, "thats far enough, we can update it later" but never got around to it.

I agree with everything you said but just one point. The word apocalypse has nothing to do with the world ending or anything like that.
    The word apocalypse comes from greek and means the unveiling something that has been hidden from the majority of mankind. Nothing to do with world ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

Mayan calender has been proven to be a total load of ****e with regards to a prediction on the end of the world. Turns out they just carried on with a new calender after the next one ends. The only thing I think that could bring about the end of days is Turkey and Syria going to war and Iran getting involved. Worst case scenario it's WW3 and we all get called up to do a spot of soldiering in the sunny mid-east. Nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

I agree with everything you said but just one point. The word apocalypse has nothing to do with the world ending or anything like that.
    The word apocalypse comes from greek and means the unveiling something that has been hidden from the majority of mankind. Nothing to do with world ending.

I didn't know that, thanks for the info!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

There are no Mayan predictions, well, outside of sensationalist/conspiracy theory circles. So no, I think nothing will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

I think they were banking on people forgetting about Y2K quickly. No computers exploded, planes didn't fall out of the sky, nothing. So with that in mind, the world probably WON'T be ending on December 21st!

Another way of putting it; If the world doesn't end on December 21st 2012, then there are going to be a lot of babies born in or around September 2013!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

The Mayan Calendar didn't have leap years, so technically we passed their 21st Dec 2012 sometime last year...

nibtrix wrote: »
    The Mayan Calendar didn't have leap years, so technically we passed their 21st Dec 2012 sometime last year...

Doesn't that make there calander more accurate than ours :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

Sure Australia will know about it first won't they so we'll have about 12 hours notice to GTFO before the world ends?

When I see a load of Aussies flying accross the skys in a million little pieces I'll inject an air bubble.... until then.... live on I say!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

TURRICAN wrote: »
    Do a google on the Mayan predictions for 2012.

Or read this

http://www.crystalskulls.com/mayan-2012-predictions.html

No can do...got a 8:30 res at dorsia.

They do a great tin-foil helmet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Yeah, the Mayans. Could predict "the end of days". Couldn't predict the end of the Mayans. I'll stick to Jonathan Cainer, and he reckons this is gonna be a great few months. Or not, I'm never really sure. Ambiguity ftw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

I doubt tbh that anything will happen on the day of reckoning etc etc this year imho, except the alligning of stars thingy that im looking forward to trying to see maybe.
    If something does happen, doubtful, then theres not much we can do about it except either be gone or turned into zombies - id prefer the latter :D
    If/when nothing major happens then itll just be a little celebration the day after to prepare us for xmas, so sounds all good to me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

I'm gona party like it's 1999....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

After watching Ken Barlow (if that is his real name) chatting/ranting to The Man With the Head Like a Kicked In Pea Can (if that is his real name, the 'Who's in the House?' fellow) on RTE last night about December 21st this year, how all the 'bad' will be removed from the Earth by 'The Creator' (this Creator chap sounds ominous), and only the 'good' will remain (to be 'good' you have to meditate and be made up of Pure Love, don't you know, according to Ken), it got me ruminating once more upon this ever encroaching topic/fallacy.

Will anything happen? If so, what?! I think, if nothing happens, it'll be immensely disappointing. What are we supposed to do, go back to our humdrum day to day lives, sit on our hands (if you're that way inclined) and await the next impending apocalypse? I've lived through Big Bother, The Only Way Is Euthanasia, The Gaudy Shore, Prat Kenny, The Man With the Head Like a Kicked In Pea Can, Sycophant & Dec, you name it - I've suffered through it. The Four Horsemen riding across the sky on December 21st would be a breeze. (P.S. Would they really be riding horses? How archaic. I rather fancy they'd prefer to arrive in souped-up boy racer cars with blacked out windows - this is the 21st Century after all (for better or for worse) - now that would really put the fear of The Creator into me.)

Anyhow, put me out of my misery, what do you think is going to happen? (Hopefully something expressly miserable.) Will all the bad be eradicated from the world? (That'd spell the end for boards.ie then.) Since we've evolved as a people up to this point, will we begin a period of devolution and revert back to caveman types? (I believe this has already begun to happen, Brian Cowen anybody?)

If nothing does happen, well I need something to cling to, are any calenders by any other ancient civilisations due to reach their end dates anytime soon?

Come Armageddon Come!

(I'm sure this thread has been done before, but I don't have time to wade through hundreds of past topics, I have laborious messages packed full of superfluous parentheses to construct - I hope you understand.)

I watched the saturday night show myself.
    He (William Roache) didn't mention the word "creator"
    For the last 5/6 minutes of the interview Brendan O Connor quized him on his spiritual life, these questions can be very difficult to in such a short space of time. At no stage did he even mention "ancient civilisations" or mayan calanders.
    At the very end BoC pushed him again saying he'd read that Bill Roache had predicted the end of the world. Roache said straight away, that was nonsence and he'd never said such a thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Quirk_Douglas

Red21 wrote: »
    I watched the saturday night show myself.
    He (William Roache) didn't mention the word "creator"
    For the last 5/6 minutes of the interview Brendan O Connor quized him on his spiritual life, these questions can be very difficult to in such a short space of time. At no stage did he even mention "ancient civilisations" or mayan calanders.
    At the very end BoC pushed him again saying he'd read that Bill Roache had predicted the end of the world. Roache said straight away, that was nonsence and he'd never said such a thing.

I didn't pluck the word 'creator' out of thin air. I just looked the show up on the RTE player to get the exact quote;

'In a nutshell, we are - every single Human being - is a beautiful, pure, piece of love. Pure love. That is what The Creator is, and he's created us and we're all pure love.'

He says the above quote at around 43:00 minutes. Your memory seemingly isn't as good as mine. He also mentioned 'The Creator' more than once, but I'm not going to watch the entire interview again because once was more than enough. I usually don't go in for watching shows like this, but it happened to be on so I sat through some of it.

I know he didn't mention the Mayan calendar or ancient civilisations, I mentioned those. You obviously missed the point of my entire post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭Pocaide

no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

'In a nutshell, we are - every single Human being - is a beautiful, pure, piece of love. Pure love. That is what The Creator is, and he's created us and we're all pure love.'

He really needs to open his eyes & turn on the news. People are being slaughtered every day. The world we live in revolves around money, power, greed & natural resources. Love is far down the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Let's see... Jehova's Witnesses predicted the end of the world for 1975.
    Nostradamus predicted it for August 1999.
    In 2000, the world was going to be catastrophically catapulted back into pre-industrial times due to the Y2K bug.
    People claimed that the world would end in 2008 when the Large Hadron Collider was turned on.

And I'm still around. Since I've apparently survived multiple ends of the world before, I don't feel too nervous about this one now.

Advertisement