Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing games with self-imposed extra rules ...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Mates and I got quite good (and then a little bored) playing Modern Warfare 2 in splitscreen on hardcore mode so we ended up with Magnum only battles (a lot harder when you have no targeting reticule) and on occasion melee only fights (involving running towards each other and trying to hammer down on the thumbstick as fast as you can before the other person gets you). Those got quite tense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

Nothing too mad:

In Gears of War online matches, I generally do not kill a downed enemy unless I execute them. It makes making a kill more risky and that bit more rewarding.

Black Ops zombies pistols and knife only is tough but fun.

Skyrim I have a mod that disables fast travel and another that requires you to eat, drink and sleep regularly. That makes the game far more challenging.

In Total Annihilation I used to try and capture enemy tech before I could finish the game. The most challenging was to try and capture (but not convert) the enemy commander using the air transport vehicle.

Nuzlocke is tough, I must try it sometime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

When me and my mates would play PES there was a house rule that there were no cutbacks from the byline allowed as it was pretty much a guaranteed goal.

When we were beginners we also made one of our mates always play stick goalie cos he was way better than us (He'd still run the pitch and score though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

when i play metal gear games or dues ex or any other stealth game i don't kill anybody and try not to be detected, that leaves a lot of moments where analyze the enemies moments and movement pattern for 15 minutes before you can feel ready enough o move on to your next position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭Patser

Cracked had an article yesterday on Epic but pointless achievements in gaming that seems to link to this thread quite well.

Includes a CoD:MW3 player that only used knife, a Skyrim finisher that only used fists and a pacifist WoW player that maxed out without hurting anything.

http://www.cracked.com/article_20063_the-6-most-mind-blowing-and-pointless-gaming-achievements.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Azza wrote: »
    Scrubs in fighting games have been for years making up there own rules that they expect other people to some how and play by.

No throws being the best example, of if you throw someone you must allow them to throw you back. Seth Killian formely of Capcom said he use to know a guy called Ming who dominated back in the arcade days of SF2 by using a very simple and effective technique known as tick throwing. This technique is still around and still effective but its very counterable. But before the internet allowed info to be widely available, ameuter players had no idea what to do.

Any time this Ming guy would land a throw he would apologise and pretend to let the opponent land his free throw only to throw them again as they walked up to get there free throw and repeat this practise.

The guy was also able to demonstrate how dumb it was to not allow throws, as all he had to do was score one hit get a life lead and then block all incoming attacks (or avoid/counter the ones that did chip damage)

But you see this alot in fighting games at low level of play. People don't know what to do, so want the tactics that are beating them disallowed or if your online they start abusing via microphone or messaging you, calling you cheap or low skilled, when its really applies to themsleves.

I came here to post this exact thing!

I've actually been at an SSF4 tournament where there was a guy behind me who decided I was throwing too many sonic booms and started very loudly shouting at me going "AW COME ON DON'T BE THAT KIND OF DICKHEAD". The irony being I was in a final and under the aforementioned ambiguous cannon strike pressure froma good Cammy player, which is just as if not dirtier a tactic than boom spam... I actually had to pause between fights and throw him a dirty look to get him to stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Not a Fifa fan myself, but a lot of my friends are, and there seems to be an elaborate set of rules in place when they play. If they lose by X amount of goals, they must post a public apoligy on facebook, and tag the winner of the match in it, for example. It's dumb, harmless craic, but I think it's cool.
    RedXIV wrote: »
    I remember me and my brother playign street fighter as kids had a few rules.

You couldn't trap someone in a corner for more than 2 seconds, you couldn't pick the same character as the person you were fighting and fireball spamming was a complete no-no

I used to have a friend back in the Street Fighter II days, who used to always want to play Balrog mirror matches. But, he used to want to enforce a "no headbutting" rule, so it would be less like a street fight and more like a boxing match. Of course, in the heat of the fight, you'd still end up headbutting him, and thus he'd get all huffy and go home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

deathrider wrote: »
    I used to have a friend back in the Street Fighter II days, who used to always want to play Balrog mirror matches. But, he used to want to enforce a "no headbutting" rule, so it would be less like a street fight and more like a boxing match. Of course, in the heat of the fight, you'd still end up headbutting him, and thus he'd get all huffy and go home.

You have no dignity.

AsZ5j.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Play resident evil on 2 saves max.

Not an enforced rule so much as a necessity as we had no memory card, but finishing Resi 1 with no saves...
    Was always bricking it once we hit the labs!

Goldeneye 64:

"License to Kill" (One hit kills) combined with "Slappers only"

:D

Or the tension and hilarity of proximity mine only games :D

Advertisement