Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you safer from Zombies then the Mainland

• 08-10-2012 10:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭

So, as a small island, we have plenty of water and plenty of food (And can we are a farming island, which means we can nearly always grow more!)

Aswell as that, we are exactly that; An Island. So if there is a Zombie Outbreak, what are the chances that it would make it this far? (Assuming all airports & docks are closed off once the first outbreak happens)

Odds are against us that it would ever start here, so we'd only really get it in contamination.

However, on the other side of that coin, if we were to be the first ones to be infected, would the rest of the world live on happy as larry, because the infection would be near impossible to spread to other countries!

So what do you guys all think?

Are we more ****ed, or is Mainland Europe?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

like ye said, depends on where the initial outbreak is, and how well it's contained if at all.

But, as an island nation we're open to infection as easily as anywere, Ports(air and sea) can be blockaded and sealed off, the entire coast cant, (unless you're in new york and your name is snake plisken) people could relatively easily come and go on small vessels and aircraft. Our air corps is pretty small and wouldnt have enough coverage to defend our airspace.
    The navy might do better in the short term, but we'd easily be swamped with evacuees/refugees/infected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It also depends on the disease. If we're to believe Hollywood after infection you'll turn into a zombie either instantly or within 8 hours or so. This is unlikely I remember reading it's going to take at least 3 days for a virus to take over a body.

If it takes at least 3 days for the disease to turn you into a zombie and your infectious for most of that time it could spread to many parts of the world. I think Ireland gets around 9 million tourists a year and we're known for emigrating and moving around the world.

Unlike a flu virus where only the weak get infected a zombie disease would infect everybody but it would still take a week or so to see the initial outbreak, it could take another week to assess it and start reacting. In the space of two weeks millions of people have moved throughout the globe unchecked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

With the amount of Irish abroad you would think that some people would be smuggling loved ones back into the country in some sort of fashion under the radar leading to some sort of threat of outbreak. A smaller Island with a tiny population may be better but i doubt they would be in a welcoming humour to strangers.

Gandalph wrote: »
    With the amount of Irish abroad you would think that some people would be smuggling loved ones back into the country in some sort of fashion under the radar leading to some sort of threat of outbreak. A smaller Island with a tiny population may be better but i doubt they would be in a welcoming humour to strangers.
    I don't know how much of a problem that will actually be, the skills necessary to get from the mainland or the UK to Ireland are few and far between these days, even the people we might think have the skills like fishermen may be completely lost without they're GPS. Although I don't know how GPS will be affected, it may continue on for decades or it may shut down without ground control.

It's important to note that without the infrastructure to support the modern way of life most things simply won't work. Anyone that tries to bring a boat from the UK to Ireland without the necessary skills will more than likely end up lost at sea. Anyone that tries to fly a plane may end up lost too, I'm trying to remember if the small plane I was in had GPS, for the most part the pilot was working off landmarks. If the weather is bad, which it probably will be, Irelands going to be a difficult place for people to get too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,103 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

If the outbreak genisis was in Ireland,I think we would be looking at a "white plauge" scenario.A book any Z surviovr wanna be should read BTW.
    Its by Frank Herbert of "Dune" fame,and deals with a man made pandemic that orginates in Ireland.
    Bottom line is Ireland because of its island status could be blockaded pretty quickly by most of Europes and the US navies and airforces to prevent major contamination spread,and they are pretty good at detecting,tracking and sinking everything from rowboats to super tankers.

Proably,and if the infection was contained in Ireland,I doubt that there would be much qualms in either DC,Brussells London Bejing or Moscow to giving the 32 counties a millon degree instant suntan if need be...
    Or use the isand as a giant lab to test various antidotes possibly to the Z disease.

OTOH if it happened elsewhere and we had to secure the 32 counties,I doubt we would be very safe for very long.

We dont have a viable airforce to patrol our airspace against incoming aircraft,or possibly not the ruthlessness either to shoot down some other countries aircraft which might be contaminated or not if it violates our airspace for fear of repercussions.Should be a laugh to see the riot of Ministers,TDs and other fat cats all trying to stuff themselves on "Irish one" AKA the Govt jet as they scramble to save their scaly hides!!:pac::D

Our navy,is more a costal patrol fleet,but without enough vessels to cover the entire costal region on a 24 hour basis.

Army, and Gardai..Will be eventually overwhelmed dealing with internal strife and Z's.
    IOW being on an island is no grauntee anymore,especially one that has a woefully equipped defense forces to deal with it.

If you were in Switzerland however I'd rate your chances of survival as good to exellent.
    Even though they have let it run down in recent years their national defence plan is exemplery for a small neutral country.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

Ok their is Governmental plans in Place for such an event. First off secure the Government in one of the Bunkers in the country or on the Militarize Island, Secure the Defense High command and supply in the a secure locations. Open safe zone medical sites, and secure assets to the state records- Telecom's Power Installation. Tactical Retreat to choke areas within the state to secure population, Ensure the state is in a control level. But this is done by the Civil Defense with the Army taken the back set. I will provide the document when i find it. But for further reading go look at the USA version which has seen a lot of interest in the last 6months for spending millions training troops to counter a Z-day

As far as i know the internet can survive a nuclear war

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

What I'd be worried about is, if outbreak got a foothold, our ability to fight it. We have a small Army - maybe 12,000 now? Our Air Force has no ground attack capability. Gun ownership as a percentage population is probably quite low. Without a swift means to dispatch the Risen, we would become completely overrun by the Dead.

I'd imagine most other countries would be too busy trying to fight off same conditions to help out.

Iceland is where you want to be. Low population. Just a few towns and cities and then lots of wilderness. Get to there, find a place to hide and have a nice cup of tea and wait for all this to blow over.

''find a place to hide and have a nice cup of tea and wait for all this to blow over.'' Brilliant!.

Defence Force is just over 9,500, Navy is around 1000, Air Corps is around 500 i believe.

The Irish would stand a reasonable chance compared to USA or Europe reason been low population death ratio would be high within the first 48 hours reducing the population down in all areas, Understandably some would rise but of a population of 4.5 Mil 1.1 Mil over 60 2.8 Mil between 18-59 and the rest under 18 compare to New York City 12million bare in mind the state of New York is roughly around the same size of Ireland but less rural areas..

Irish Defence Force is roughly 11000 for 4.5 Mil compare to USA standing Army of just under a Million to a population of 300 million, So figures point if the Defence Force was deployed tactful and in battalion size could keep control.

We still have the RDF that would be see about 40 to 50 percent ranks been placed thats 7,000 the Civil Defence that 3,000 to 5,000 for such a small area we stand a very real chance of remaining in control

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

I wouldn't want the government / majority of people to survive. The whole temptation of being a survivor, is that your now one of the few remaining humans in the world.

If it were to happen, I would prefer it to happen worldwide, where no country remains unaffected on a large scale.
    I'm talking 99% of the population being Z's. Only then would I never have to work again and I could just live day to day doing what I want :)

I wouldn't want the government / majority of people to survive. The whole temptation of being a survivor, is that your now one of the few remaining humans in the world.
    The thing is though, bar the horror of seeing that many die, if the majority die, the minority of survivors will probably have it fairly easy. You'll have an abundance of everything and very few reasons to fight other people.

As long as you have people with the right skills around you so that you have some guarantee of a food supply everything else can be rebuilt.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    The thing is though, bar the horror of seeing that many die, if the majority die, the minority of survivors will probably have it fairly easy. You'll have an abundance of everything and very few reasons to fight other people.

As long as you have people with the right skills around you so that you have some guarantee of a food supply everything else can be rebuilt.

What about fuel Ireland only have 90 days supply.

Depends how quick a dwindling population can go through that fuel. With factories and transport shut down there might be an abundance of the stuff. People may not have the opportunity to go through the stuff they panic buy. With my car at least, I could drive from Dublin to Galway twice on a tank of diesel.

Regardless we are doomed to run out of fuel, I don't know what the rape seed industry is like in this country but I'm assuming that would require some fairly advanced refinery but I may be wrong.

I don't think other countries would fair much better, getting oil out of the ground and processing it into fuel is a fairly mammoth task. It requires thousands of people doing some fairly advanced things and a dependable global transport network pulling supplies from all over the world on a daily basis. Once the international transport networks brake down and factories can't get the raw material they need from overseas, just about all global production stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

the complete and total breakdown of services such as international transport networks is one of the things I'd like to see happen.

I wouldn't like to see a recovery option possible. Fuel shouldn't be needed if the population is low. Think of the sheer amount of fuel in the country at the moment... All those cars, tankers, petrol stations. There is more than enough to see a group of people survive a lifetime without needing more.
    And even if it got to that point, sure get a boat and row over to england.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Am I right in saying that fuels have a limited lifespan?

I could be wrong but I thought that petrol & diesels expire after a couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

I could be wrong but I thought that petrol & diesels expire after a couple of years.

yes, after millions of years in the ground it goes off 3 weeks after i buy it :D

I assume it goes a bit stale. could be some additives available to freshen it up.
    probably would do harm to a car if you used it but if im running for my life from dublin to galway then im not too worried about the carburetor.

I don't think they expire as such but they do evaporate if not properly sealed and stored.

Where do you get that??We have at most 14 days of fuel in the 26 counties..Thats from whatever is coming out of Whiddy island to whats in our lawnmowers and cars.

CORRECT. Fuel is a perishible commodity belive it or not,it's not years it's months before it is stale!!As there is such a demand for it it doesnt stay long in the tanks in the garage,so treating it would be an unnecessary expence and process
    Ever try starting a a lawnmower after you have left it sit over the Winter with a full tank?? Major problem to get it to run,until you drain the fuel and put fresh stuff in its tank.That's because the fuel has started to break down into its component parts.Picture this then on a national scale ,within appx 4 months any untreated fuel in Ireland will be just so much gunk.Diesel is somwhat better,but eventually will break down as well into a black sludge caused by enzymes eating the sulphur in the diesel. Both fuels can be treated with a fuel stabilizer that will keep petrol for appx 24 months and diesel about 36 to 40 months.But after that ,unless you figure out how to make diesel out of waste chip oil or petrol from plastic rubbish,you are back to a horse and cart.
    Regardless we are doomed to run out of fuel, I don't know what the rape seed industry is like in this country but I'm assuming that would require some fairly advanced refinery but I may be wrong.

Nope..You dont need rape seed plant oil to run a diesel.That's Pure Plant Oil and is abit tedious to grow and crush and pour into your tank.Bio diesel can be made with parts from a junk pile,and a couple of barrels to make a still old chip oil,animal fats,wax,and caustic soda and wood alcohol are the ingredients.
    Google bio diesel or journey to forever.com on how to make.It proably wont work on a common rail diesel car,but anything pre year 00 will work fine,and if you blow the engine..What harm try the next diesel and the next homebrew.:D

Irish Defence Force is roughly 11000 for 4.5 Mil compare to USA standing Army of just under a Million to a population of 300 million, So figures point if the Defence Force was deployed tactful and in battalion size could keep control.
    We still have the RDF that would be see about 40 to 50 percent ranks been placed thats 7,000 the Civil Defence that 3,000 to 5,000 for such a small area we stand a very real chance of remaining in control

You are forgetting that the US has also an armed civil pouplation of appx 80 to 100 million plus.Many of those who have had active combat experiance in wars ranging from ww2 to current day Afghanistan.Plus adding in their nationa l gaurd,law enforcement,fire depts,paramedics who all have some sort of firearms training,this comes up significantly.

With all due respects,I doubt very much we will remain in control here while the IDF has had experiance of peace keeping missions,it has never had a serious call out of its actual function of defence of the Irish state against internal strife.Can you be sure absolutely every one of these people will stay on and be loyal to this Govt and state which is by far nothing that anyone sane would want to defend..IOW would YOU be a bullet catcher for Inda or Fatty Cowen or bully Hogan??? What is the factors for attrition by desertion
    ??I reckon there will be a fair few departing in the night once they have a live arm and kit to get back to their fammlies and defend them.

Also factor in that there is still a viable "darkside" force out there in Irish society that has access to firearms,explosives and some heavy weaponary namly our ol freedom fighting buddies the IRA in their many guises.You didn't think that they "decomissioned" ALL their weaponary now did you???:P
    Whats the betting you would see them rising out of their graves and arms bunkers to have one last shot at freeing Ireland before total doomsday,or having another last swipe at the Free State'rs??

Worse,some elite unit like a section of ARW or ERU goes AWOL with their kit and cabodle enmasse and decides to go renegade.They would have the training and equipment to be a serious menace to any survivor group or small community.
    One thing for sure if it does happen it will be an intresting time to be alive,or dead.:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Where do you get that??We have at most 14 days of fuel in the 26 counties..Thats from whatever is coming out of Whiddy island to whats in our lawnmowers and cars.

CORRECT. Fuel is a perishible commodity belive it or not,it's not years it's months before it is stale!!As there is such a demand for it it doesnt stay long in the tanks in the garage,so treating it would be an unnecessary expence and process
    Ever try starting a a lawnmower after you have left it sit over the Winter with a full tank?? Major problem to get it to run,until you drain the fuel and put fresh stuff in its tank.That's because the fuel has started to break down into its component parts.Picture this then on a national scale ,within appx 4 months any untreated fuel in Ireland will be just so much gunk.Diesel is somwhat better,but eventually will break down as well into a black sludge caused by enzymes eating the sulphur in the diesel. Both fuels can be treated with a fuel stabilizer that will keep petrol for appx 24 months and diesel about 36 to 40 months.But after that ,unless you figure out how to make diesel out of waste chip oil or petrol from plastic rubbish,you are back to a horse and cart.

Nope..You dont need rape seed plant oil to run a diesel.That's Pure Plant Oil and is abit tedious to grow and crush and pour into your tank.Bio diesel can be made with parts from a junk pile,and a couple of barrels to make a still old chip oil,animal fats,wax,and caustic soda and wood alcohol are the ingredients.
    Google bio diesel or journey to forever.com on how to make.It proably wont work on a common rail diesel car,but anything pre year 00 will work fine,and if you blow the engine..What harm try the next diesel and the next homebrew.:D

You are forgetting that the US has also an armed civil pouplation of appx 80 to 100 million plus.Many of those who have had active combat experiance in wars ranging from ww2 to current day Afghanistan.Plus adding in their nationa l gaurd,law enforcement,fire depts,paramedics who all have some sort of firearms training,this comes up significantly.

With all due respects,I doubt very much we will remain in control here while the IDF has had experiance of peace keeping missions,it has never had a serious call out of its actual function of defence of the Irish state against internal strife.Can you be sure absolutely every one of these people will stay on and be loyal to this Govt and state which is by far nothing that anyone sane would want to defend..IOW would YOU be a bullet catcher for Inda or Fatty Cowen or bully Hogan??? What is the factors for attrition by desertion
    ??I reckon there will be a fair few departing in the night once they have a live arm and kit to get back to their fammlies and defend them.

Also factor in that there is still a viable "darkside" force out there in Irish society that has access to firearms,explosives and some heavy weaponary namly our ol freedom fighting buddies the IRA in their many guises.You didn't think that they "decomissioned" ALL their weaponary now did you???:P
    Whats the betting you would see them rising out of their graves and arms bunkers to have one last shot at freeing Ireland before total doomsday,or having another last swipe at the Free State'rs??

Worse,some elite unit like a section of ARW or ERU goes AWOL with their kit and cabodle enmasse and decides to go renegade.They would have the training and equipment to be a serious menace to any survivor group or small community.
    One thing for sure if it does happen it will be an intresting time to be alive,or dead.:D

That the point they would not be defending the government they would be defending the people and their family's.

are ye joking? The government, would definetly have themselves secured by the military first. The peasants like us poor schmoes would be a secondary objective and more than likely treated as containment rather than secured.

are ye joking? The government, would definetly have themselves secured by the military first. The peasants like us poor schmoes would be a secondary objective and more than likely treated as containment rather than secured.

lol, Hope-fully within the first zombie wave they would be eating!!.

On a lighter note i have been researching into {For Fun} throwing together a booklet on surviving an outbreak in Ireland 100 percent focused on Ireland, it will contain information on towns defensive, how to secure your area, tips on blunt weapons how to source food, water and so on really just a lot of information all in one area created by concern folks, It will be a part time project requiring a lot of research. Any one interested PM me for more details.

All for fun.

• Advertisement

Ahh that would deserve a topic of it's own CP. I'd be interested to see how it turns out. Pretty sure a lot of the regulars would like to aswell :)

No problem mate, I will re-post in correct area or just move.

totally optional

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

My greatest fear is not Z Day.

MY greatest fear is Z Day happening, and nothing is like that of the books. i.e headshots etc.

Just saw the thread title there...ehhhhh yeah is my answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

On a lighter note i have been researching into {For Fun} throwing together a booklet on surviving an outbreak in Ireland 100 percent focused on Ireland, it will contain information on towns defensive, how to secure your area, tips on blunt weapons how to source food, water and so on really just a lot of information all in one area created by concern folks, It will be a part time project requiring a lot of research. Any one interested PM me for more details.

All for fun.

id have a look ;-)

All for fun.

Gladly have a look or if you want some help on this:)

That the point they would not be defending the government they would be defending the people and their family's.

IOW bands of deserters and armed with military weaponary renegades, roaming the countryside or setting up mini kingdoms or dictatorships around Ireland.Poss-ibly based back on the old Clan system of pre Norman Ireland?
    Sounds good to me!:D

Advertisement