Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honours Maths

• 08-10-2012 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Can a school force you to take pass maths?Im in honours at the moment got C in Jc,there are two honours classes,they have decided to have one honours class and if I dont pass a test this week I have to move to pass.
    It's only 5 week in and im doing ok,afraid if i dont pass this test im stuck with pass maths, i will have no choice.Any thoughts on what to do.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭aarond280

I'm not sure if they can 'make' you go to the ordinary class. Perhaps if you did fail the test and the teacher asks you yo go to pass tell them that you want to do honours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Don't focus on being made do anything, if you really want to do higher and are putting the work in they won't make you drop. Focus on passing this test.

Your teacher is probably teaching some form of algebra that will be common throughout the course and if you fail it you might struggle through the year and next year.

When I was in secondary school we wasted a few months with the school pushing people to pass (they only wanted to do one honours class) and the students pushing to stay honours while in reality the majority of the class were barely keeping their head above water.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 jacklc2014

Thanks for replies.I have kept up with the class,also doing grinds to make sure im not falling behind,(i had decided to get grinds before starting 5th year,it was not because i was falling behind, my mum thought it would be best to start them in 5th year) im really putting the work in,just afraid if i panic in exam i my blow my chances.Just think 5 weeks in to 5th year is to soon to be told to do pass.
    This will be our first maths exam in 5th year.
    They said at jc that if you got an honour you could do honours.Fair enough if it after christmas or the summer test but this is too soon.Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭fishnetsxD

jacklc2014 wrote: »
    Can a school force you to take pass maths?Im in honours at the moment got C in Jc,there are two honours classes,they have decided to have one honours class and if I dont pass a test this week I have to move to pass.
    It's only 5 week in and im doing ok,afraid if i dont pass this test im stuck with pass maths, i will have no choice.Any thoughts on what to do.

Snaps with me, I got a C in maths for my Junior cert. But in fairness, I had a terrible maths teacher. I can be fairly mathematical when I want to be.

What maths book are you using?
    Atm I am using Text and texts 6 project maths (it's black)

5 weeks into fifth year and I've had 2 tests, 1 that I got 70% in and the other 25% :)

I have started studying maths though.

If you want to keep up honours you will have to do a bit of extra maths every night. I have an extra copy for the maths I do by myself. I go through the previous chapters we have done and already I see an improvement. :)

My leaving cert teacher is also terrible and a bitch :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

If it were me, I'd refuse to be moved. In my experience, there'll be a huge rate of attrition anyway. If you stick with it, sooner rather than later, someone else will drop anyway.

• Advertisement

Thanks,we have had no tests so far,think it's next week.we are using active maths 4 its not to bad a book.we are in part 3 of algebra some parts are hard but working through it.class is moving quick enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭aarond280

Thanks,we have had no tests so far,think it's next week.we are using active maths 4 its not to bad a book.we are in part 3 of algebra some parts are hard but working through it.class is moving quick enough.
    If you feel the class is moving fast, too fast you might want to ask your teacher to re-explain things also you might want to do extra maths at home if you're given 2 questions do 3 or 4, do questions that you're not given. But its up to you.

I meant the teacher is moving the class fast,this is not just from me,I'm getting grinds,so if I'm stuck on something I clear it up there.

How many maths classes do most of you have a week? We have it everyday and double on a Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

How many maths classes do most of you have a week? We have it everyday and double on a Friday.

Been a while, but way back when I think we did 4 periods in 5th year, and then 6 in 6th year (they took our double PE from us!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

I have the same then on Friday's after school, we have another maths class until 5pm to get more of the syllabus finished so we can get more revision done at the end of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 TheFlayedMan

They won't, I'd wager it's scare tactics.
    Next Tuesday, we're sitting an Irish paper 1 (not an exact past paper, but the general makeup) and according to our teacher, they may create just one honours class and those who don't do well will be moved into pass. Bull****, of course, made even more ridiculous by the fact that they pulled the same thing before the Junior Cert and didn't act on their threats.

I do pass maths myself, but just study hard and give it socks. Threats aside, sitting a paper 1 is a great way to force students to study, which I'm doing pretty heavily for my Irish test.

Advertisement