Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EU: OK to eat cancerous US produced GM corn but not OK to eat jam from used jam jars

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Remember that time they outlawed bendy bananas?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

After banning crooked carrots and imperfect fruit and veg, I wouldn't put anything past the Euroclowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Throws mothers 2011 strawberry jam in bin & contacts solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

After banning crooked carrots and imperfect fruit and veg, I wouldn't put anything past the Euroclowns.

Not sure if serious or just taking the piss out of Run_to_da_hills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Just as well you got those tracking devices in the chocolate wrappers banned though isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

You couldn't make it up.

Churches warn parishioners to stop selling preserves in re-used jars. The tradition, enjoyed by the WI, breaches EU health and safety laws

The hypocrisy of it, only last week the EU dismissed claims about French independent tests on American cancerous GM corn products. Now they claim that eating jam from re used jam jars is bad for the health.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2213975/Tradition-selling-jam-used-jars-breaches-EU-health-safety-rules.html

The EU does not make laws.
    It issues directives, outlining minimal requirements, it's then up to the individual country to make its own laws.

And is that the study that essentially showed the plant killer residue leads to increased risk of cancer? I remember there being a thread about that one, very poorly executed indeed.

A little bit of digging brought up the following :

"A spokesman for the Food Standards Agency (FSA) said local authority environmental health officers were allowed to use their discretion in enforcing the rule.

He said: “The EU rules state that anyone selling commercially must use a container that is designed for that, so, technically, the rule means people selling products cannot reuse a container that was not designed for re-use.

“The law has been put in place for good reason – to stop problems with chemicals leaching out of containers, but councils have been using discretion over it and there have not been any prosecutions since the legislation was bought into law eight years ago.” "

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/9971171.EC_directive_threatens_jam_jar_re_use/

This directive has been active for 8 years now. But to the Daily Mail, it's apparently "news"...

You couldn't make it up.

Churches warn parishioners to stop selling preserves in re-used jars. The tradition, enjoyed by the WI, breaches EU health and safety laws

We call that being Shortalled!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

off topic, but has vodka been poisoned now - heard it was banned in czeck republic due to people dying from it.

off topic, but has vodka been poisoned now - heard it was banned in czeck republic due to people dying from it.

Wasn't that the stuff they made at home and then sold it on?
    That's been blinding people for centuries. And I saw something a while back that it was a serious problem in Russia, as some of the stuff killed people's livers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Shenshen wrote: »
    A little bit of digging ...
    The simple rational truth, a natural enemy of RTTH and the DailyMail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

That's been blinding people for centuries. And I saw something a while back that it was a serious problem in Russia, as some of the stuff killed people's livers.

That was last month. 19 deaths. They banned all alcohol over 20% Vol from what I remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I could put up a scientific counter arguement but it would be wasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I thought this was a real issue, but then I seen it was just something the Daily Fail made up to fill their pages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,556 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The legal stuff does that to people regularly. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Agent_Orange

You are not meant to drink water from used plastic bottles either but high levels of fluoride in the water supply is acceptable......

You are not meant to drink water from used plastic bottles either but high levels of fluoride in the water supply is acceptable......

Ah not another flouride campaigner.

I'm sick to f*ckin' death of ye guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Was reading about this last night and the same paper featured the story about a girl who collapsed after drinking a cooling nitrogen cocktail and how chefs recommend using liquid nitrogen for the preparation of many food stuffs - ice-cream etc. People have being re-using jam pots for decades, with no fatalities and because some idiot in Europe can't understand how sterilisation works and can't see a proven track record of no injuries they ban it because it's not produced specifically to be re-use.

It often strikes me that people who know the least about microbiology are the ones who shout the loudest about things being infected.

Computer says no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

:D Run To THe hills back with more tricks. Never take this poster seriously (full of it!)

Don't you know its them guys from outer space again trying to fatten who us up with their juicy supplements, when the time is right the human harvest will come.

The only thing that can save you now is a tinfoil hat. :pac:

kowloon wrote: »
    The legal stuff does that to people regularly. :(

Not as quickly, though. I read of cases where one evening's drinking consigned the drinkers to a slow and uncomfortable death, as their liver had been irreperably damaged. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Dailymails track record is so bad they have to highlight bits like this. 'This is not a spoof'

I bet if you asked the people selling the jam they probably bought the jars, who regularly has loads of jam jars lying around? You'd have to be buying jam non stop just so you can make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,556 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Boombastic wrote: »
    Was reading about this last night and the same paper featured the story about a girl who collapsed after drinking a cooling nitrogen cocktail and how chefs recommend using liquid nitrogen for the preparation of many food stuffs - ice-cream etc.

As in someone who downed actual liquid nitrogen or was it something rendered harmful by the effects of nitrogen on it?

As in someone who downed actual liquid nitrogen or was it something rendered harmful by the effects of nitrogen on it?

She drank it. Some nightclub was sticking it in drinks.

Now she has no stomach.

RTDH will soon post about how the evil EU are banning liquid nitrogen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I'm sorry OP, i clicked the link and all I saw was Mila Kunis :D

Liquid nitrogen is added to a cocktail to chill and create a smoke effect

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2214268/Teenager-stomach-removed-save-life-drinking-trendy-liquid-nitrogen-cocktail.html#ixzz28hz4wU59
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook Link

Liquid nitrogen, which evaporates at minus 196C, has become increasingly common as a method for instantly freezing food and drinks or creating an impressive cloud of vapour – techniques popularised by television chef Heston Blumenthal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Saw the title and knew who the poster was before looking :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Ah come on now RTDH. You've been discredited in CT and now you're peddling your patently false GM theories. Back on my ignore list you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

and in other EU news

cocks to be straight , by twenty one eight .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

It has been disputed by proper scientists that GM food does not increase cancer rates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

IvySlayer wrote: »
    It has been disputed by "proper scientists" that GM food does not increase cancer rates.
    The same 'proper scientists" or should mention "Official scientists" that are telling us that fluorinated water is good for us. :rolleyes:

These would have been the same breed of state monitored scientists that would have been working behind the scenes of Xylon B projects during the war. They couldn't give a rats ass about the welfare of society. The only thing that they are interested in is lining the pockets of their fat multinational arses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

The same 'proper scientists" or should mention "Official scientists" that are telling us that fluorinated water is good for us. :rolleyes:

If you'd like to actually demonstrate that the levels of fluoride in Irish water are dangerous, then by all means go ahead.

I'll wait.

These would have been the same breed of state monitored scientists that would have been working behind the scenes of Xylon B projects during the war. They couldn't give a rats ass about the welfare of society. The only thing that they are interested in is lining the pockets of their fat multinational arses.

-x·y·lon
    noun combining form \ksəˌlän\
    Definition of -XYLON
    : one having (such) wood—in generic names <Haematoxylon>
    : one living in (such) a relation to wood <Hypoxylon>
    : wood <laurinoxylon>

Ok, it's a funny word, but hardly sinister or immensly lucrative?

I know independent scientists who don't believe flouride is bad for us or that it's a mind control substance or a pacifier or whatever you're trotting out at the moment.

What is it that you're trotting out at the moment with regards to this one by the way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Isn't it funny how many of hyper-paranoid, conspiracy theory-enthusiast RTTH's posts depend on articles from the likes of the Daily Mail? Apparently the "mainstream media" has its uses afterall.

Einhard wrote: »
    Isn't it funny how many of hyper-paranoid, conspiracy theory-enthusiast RTTH's posts depend on articles from the likes of the Daily Mail? Apparently the "mainstream media" has its uses afterall.

You will not find anything in the Daily Mail concerning the carcinogenic aspects of GM produced food, the emerging of the US Police state under Obama or the “Mass Fatality Planning" of ordinary American citizens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

RTDH, what site are you pasting this from now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

These would have been the same breed of state monitored scientists that would have been working behind the scenes of Xylon B projects during the war.
    WW2! Maybe this GM food isn't all bad if they're still top scientists, they must be well into their 90s at this stage.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    RTDH, what site are you pasting this from now?

The official source..

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/112/hr6566/text

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

You are also trying to spell Zyklon B.

You are also trying to spell Zyklon B.

Ah, that makes some sense at least.
    I was wondering if he had some serious issues with forestry, or if the Cylons were about to attack...

• Advertisement

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Ah not another flouride campaigner.

I'm sick to f*ckin' death of ye guys.

Not a campaigner pal just mentioning another contradiction in public health information. Used jars/bottles bad GM crops/excessive fluoride levels good.

Used jars/bottles bad GM crops/excessive fluoride levels good.

I love flouride. I f*cking love that sh*t. It's delicious and I love it.

I'm going to start a campaign against the bastards who are trying to take my free flouride away from me.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I love flouride. I f*cking love that sh*t. It's delicious and I love it.

I'm going to start a campaign against the bastards who are trying to take my free flouride away from me.

Nothing better than a hit of flouride and a flu jab...weekend sorted :D

Boombastic wrote: »
    Nothing better than a hit of flouride and a flu jab...weekend sorted :D

Throw in a few out of date iodine tablets and you'll be on serious buzz!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Yum. I just mixed those ingredients in a used jam jar and am ready to trip.

Thrill wrote: »
    Yum. I just mixed those ingredients in a used jam jar and am ready to trip.
    Enjoy the ride :D

Advertisement