Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social: Christmas Beers - THIS SATURDAY, CAMDEN

Options
  • 08-10-2012 11:02am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I know, I know, it's not even Halloween yet and Christmas is being mentioned. For my sins, I offer you:

The Halloween Song:

The NSFW Night Santa Went Crazy

Anyway, now that's out of the way, Christmas Beers. Christmas is always a bit of an arseache for social gatherings. Everyone's busy and going home and office christmas parties get in the way, so I'm in two minds as to whether it's worth trying to organise one.

If we're going to do it, it's got to be near the start of the month. That's either Saturday 1st or Saturday 8th. Anything later won't work because life gets in the way. For similar reasons, central London is the only way to go.

My suggestion is: we pick one of the two aforementioned Saturdays, make a restaurant booking for an early-evening meal, and then head for a couple of beverages. Since we're talking about restaurant reservations, I'll need people to commit firmly and not cry off at the last minute because they double book/have a bad hair day/couldn't be arsed leaving the house. This goes double if this would be your first boards.ie social event. I've posted up a poll - it closes on the 15th of November because that's the absolute latest I'm willing to start planning this (and realistically the sooner the better).

Thoughts?

Would you come to a Christmas Dinner & Beers? 9 votes

Yes, on Saturday 1st December
    0%
    Yes, on Saturday 8th December
    88%
    ScarinaeFyshJack B. Badd83stesilvervixen84ReekwindChoccie LoverAnnaVanilla 8 votes
    No
    11%
    Woolly_Jumper 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

Definitely up for it, but can only do it on the 1st.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

I've chosen the 1st as well as I anticipate that the following weeks will get too hectic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

In Ireland for the 8th and the 1st is my sodding birthday so thanks for giving people an inbuilt clash. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Possibly

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

In Ireland for the 8th and the 1st is my sodding birthday so thanks for giving people an inbuilt clash. :(

Hey, don't go blaming me if you're too lazy to go into town for your birthday celebration :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i nominate a clash with this.

http://www.santacon.co.uk/

mainly because i can't do the others.

Fysh wrote: »
    Hey, don't go blaming me if you're too lazy to go into town for your birthday celebration :P

Not lazy, just hate going out in town. Probably going to Camden

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

I saw them last year and was wondering what it was!

If I'm free on the 15th, I'm totally doing this :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The fist of modly power says that Santacon sounds like fun, but there's not a hope in hell that I'm organising anything that's
    a) that late in the month (the number of "yeah definitely up for it" replies that turn into "I've got better plans/I forgot the office party/OOPS I'M ACTUALLY BACK HOME FOR XMAS NOW LOLZOR" responses around December increases expontentially in an inverse relationship to the scalar magnitude of the variable Days-Until-Christmas)
    b) tied into someone else's event over which I wield no control or influence
    c) specifically predicated on answering a single-question, 3 option-poll with an answer that is none of the 3 choices.

All of which is to say, Santacon sounds like fun but I think it best to decouple it from this outing.
    Not lazy, just hate going out in town. Probably going to Camden

Maybe we can join up with ye later, depends on how the night goes. Once Christmas Party season gets started going out anywhere central is a pain in the neck, hence the push to have this early...

That's cool. I'm a good two/three weeks away from being arsed to organise mine so will try to dovetail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Forward planning? Controverisal...

I should be around for the first two weekends but obviously anything can change between then and now

In terms of actual plans, I tend to be well into hibernation mode around December so anywhere that serves big food, has a big fireplace and allows me to quaff mulled wine before falling asleep would be looked favourably upon

Good man, Reekwind - I'd forgotten that provision of mulled cider will be a non-optional requirement of any venue we decide to befoul in some inventive fashiongrace with our presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Hazzah, Christmas \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaVanilla

Xmas Beers YAY! I'm in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ihaddajoin

Hi all,

is this event open to one and all?! Or exclusive Boards members?!!! Would love to go :)

ihaddajoin wrote: »
    Hi all,

is this event open to one and all?! Or exclusive Boards members?!!! Would love to go :)

No exclusivity here, all are welcome! :)

Right, further to comments above re: exiledelbows turning ancientaging gracefully, the Fist Of Modly Powah!! has decided we're moving the Christmas Beers north, to Camden.

Conveniently this means we get to go to the Goodlife Diner for food. Great food and a seriously daycent selection of beer - unless you're suggesting Belgo's, I'll brook no argument on this one.

The question of what pubs to hit afterwards gets a tad tricky - Camden has a great nightlife but it's always so bloody busy that I've tended to avoid it. The Brewdog Bar is a non-optional part of our route, but I'm open to suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Choccie Lover

I've voted the first..... Looking forward to it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Would liked to have come but out of town both weekends! Hopefully I'll be able to attend the New Year excursion!

This is pretty much a bump-post to remind everyone that the Xmas Beers are in 2 and a bit weeks' time.

I'm leaning towards 5-5:30ish for an early dinner at the Goodlife Diner so that we can a) get a table easily and b) not be in a rush. (I'm ignoring any "eating is cheating" type silliness because pulled pork hotdog FOR THE GODDAMN WIN! that's why).

We're probably going to hit the Brewdog Bar first and join up with the Exiledelbows Age++ Expedition, then see where we go from there.

As ever, suggestions for places to try out are welcome :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Woolly_Jumper

No
    I will be home that weekend :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

You had me at Brewdog Bar. It is on the 1st Dec to check yeah? I'm in if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

Still on for this, but due to commitments earlier in the day, I won't be joining you for food.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

I'd like to come along though I'm adding myself in a bit late and a bit short on monies so I might skip the food part and catch up later if that's ok? A rough idea of when you might be hitting the bar would be awesome :)

Skipping the food part is fine (though it does mean you miss out on deliciousness...) Based on past experience I'd say we should arrive at the pub between 7 and 7:30. Best bet is to PM me so we can exchange numbers, that way I can keep you posted on when we make a move and whereabouts we're heading :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I was supposed to be on call that weekend but that's just changed so myself and the other half might make it in to this, that is if you'll have us.

Never been to the Diner or Brewdog so very interested in trying both. Only thing is we need to leave early enough to get the train back out to Woking, but 11pm should be fine. I'll be well on by then anyway!

Right gang, texts will be out shortly but I'm trying to get an accurate count of who's in for food. Let me know if you're on for food and PM me your number if I don't already have it please.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Oh Brewdog!

I'm pretty broke so wasn't planning on venturing too far this weekend but this news may have changed everything.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Oh Brewdog!

I'm pretty broke so wasn't planning on venturing too far this weekend but this news may have changed everything.

Goodlife Diner + Brewdog Bar = this weekend is one outing that I have guaranteed I will attend, even if that means not buying people christmas presents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaVanilla

Fysh wrote: »
    Right gang, texts will be out shortly but I'm trying to get an accurate count of who's in for food. Let me know if you're on for food and PM me your number if I don't already have it please.

Count me in :)

Advertisement