Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SumUp Credit Card Processing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

so is Sum-up gone or what? a buddy of mine was just asked to pay using them via a mobile phone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

stevieob wrote: »
    so is Sum-up gone or what? a buddy of mine was just asked to pay using them via a mobile phone

No they're not gone, their Irish office has closed up though as far as I know. I asked them about the bluetooth reader and was told it'd be here by the end of July but given their track record so far I'm not holding my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Does anyone have any update on how sumup are getting on with this or has it been put on hold since the closure of the Dublin office?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭wytch

CinSoots wrote: »

That link/ press realise style info is dated May 2014???

• Advertisement

wytch wrote: »
    That link/ press realise style info is dated May 2014???

I got an email this morning from SumUp with the option to buy the reader so its definitely available now!

Edit - its on their website now as well and called Pin+

Edit 2 - Here is a video :)http://vimeo.com/sumup/review/109560416/b45c530050

Looks great, now the question, can you accept payments remotely too?

cormie wrote: »
    Looks great, now the question, can you accept payments remotely too?

I use a Stripe API built into my website to do this so that's another option for you? Their fees are a little higher through so the ideal solution is for a sumUP API that's similar to take remote payments

My brother uses Stripe so I have in the passed processed payments through his system but would be great if SumUp can do it too. Did you get the offer price of €59 for the pin terminal? My brother got that price in an email so if it's just €60 and can take remote payments and the only additional cost then is 1.95% per transaction, it's a great solution!

My brother uses Stripe so I have in the passed processed payments through his system but would be great if SumUp can do it too. Did you get the offer price of €59 for the pin terminal? My brother got that price in an email so if it's just €60 and can take remote payments and the only additional cost then is 1.95% per transaction, it's a great solution!

Yea I got that price so it's a bit of a no brainier really but id love if I could do everything through sumup instead of having to use both

• Advertisement

I text my brother and waiting for a reply with the €59 deal, still haven't heard back, if you have it handy, please post :)

I just rang their support number and it doesn't look like customer not present payments will be possible for phone/internet payments :(

I also asked is it possible to have the 1.95% fee charged to the customer instead of the retailer and they said this is against visa/mastercard policy, but I guess if the retailer had a clause where they charge an additional 1.95% for card payments this wouldn't be an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Just ordered mine the offer price is still available. Ironically I wasn't able to pay by card for some reason had to do it via bank transfer! At that price even if its just a back up machine its a great offer. We were thinking of having an extra cash only till for Christmas but with this its made it nice and each to have an additional terminal on that till.

Does anyone have a link to where I can buy at the offer price? I'm not even sure I'll ever need this now since you can't do remote payments, but at the offer price it might be hard not to just buy it "just in case".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

I find stripe fine for phone payments, just click on create payment button on their website and enter the details. You can also do it with the customer present although I would be concerned about chargebacks as I don't get a signature or chance for them to enter their pin, so tend to avoid this.

Anybody think its a good idea to use stripe with customer present?

Does anyone have a link to where I can buy at the offer price? I'm not even sure I'll ever need this now since you can't do remote payments, but at the offer price it might be hard not to just buy it "just in case".

When you check out it asks if you have a voucher just enter PINPLUSIE and it discounts it.

elastico wrote: »
    I find stripe fine for phone payments, just click on create payment button on their website and enter the details. You can also do it with the customer present although I would be concerned about chargebacks as I don't get a signature or chance for them to enter their pin, so tend to avoid this.

Anybody think its a good idea to use stripe with customer present?

In the long term stripe works out more expensive especially if you do a lot of low value transactions. People also tend to feel safer having the payment processed via chip & pin. For customer present payments would definitely look at getting a device.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

jimmii wrote: »
    ... Ironically I wasn't able to pay by card for some reason....

Me neither, and the same for a friend who tried earlier this afternoon.
    I remember having difficulty when I originally subscribed to Sumup before getting the original non pin device too.
    I'll give bank transfer a go!

niallb wrote: »
    Me neither, and the same for a friend who tried earlier this afternoon.
    I remember having difficulty when I originally subscribed to Sumup before getting the original non pin device too.
    I'll give bank transfer a go!

Was wondering what was going on! Have had problems with my card in the past but has been working on other sites today so didn't think much of it. The way they have the bank transfer option set up is pretty handy guessing its a problem they have seen before!

Thanks a lot for the code, just tried to order.. but.. transaction declined too :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

If you have online banking, just click "I don't have a credit card" and you'll get a BIC & IBAN with a customer code for the narrative.
    I had to do that too, and it worked for €59.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has actually managed to pay with an Irish credit card. I got transaction declined three times, with my existing sum up account and a new one.
    Thanks a lot for the code, just tried to order.. but.. transaction declined too :(

niallb wrote: »
    I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has actually managed to pay with an Irish credit card. I got transaction declined three times, with my existing sum up account and a new one.

I paid for mine a few days back using card and it went through fine.

Got a mail today saying I should have it in 2-3 business days.

Let's hope the actual terminal itself doesn't suffer the same issues :) Sent it through bank transfer anyway. Will probably hardly use it myself, but if a €59 once off fee will mean the difference in securing and getting paid for a few jobs, it's definitely worth it.

Would anyone else contemplate charging 1.95% extra on the sale if it was being paid for through CC?

Let's hope the actual terminal itself doesn't suffer the same issues :) Sent it through bank transfer anyway. Will probably hardly use it myself, but if a €59 once off fee will mean the difference in securing and getting paid for a few jobs, it's definitely worth it.

Would anyone else contemplate charging 1.95% extra on the sale if it was being paid for through CC?

Its definitely great value seems almost too good to have no monthly. Lots of places charge a card fee but I think a lot of the time people will grudgingly pay it. It would definitely be better to build it into your existing price structure instead of having it as an additional charge. Having said that there was a thread on boards not so long ago and the general consensus seemed to be people wouldn't mind the cost being passed on especially on small transactions were card charges have historically made up a large % of the overall transaction value.

You mean consumers were saying they wouldn't mind paying a bit extra to pay by card? That's good to know. I've had to do it myself before too and although I would have preferred not to, it's understandable why some businesses would request it. Personally, there's no real need to pay me by card so if anyone was to pay me by card, it would be out of urgency to book something, or if they had no alternative and in these cases I'd have no problem asking for the fee to be paid by them. I can wait for an alternative if there's enough time to wait and I don't give the option of card payment ever, but it's nice to know I'll have it now if I learn that I'm going to lose a job because of not being able to accept card payment.

Got the card reader today and have tested it out - seems to work quite nicely. It's nice and neat, and with Bluetooth it's handy to not have wires going everywhere.

My only gripe would be that it's a bit of an odd shape - I'd like to be able to mount it so that it looks like it's supposed to be on the counter. Currently with its odd shape it would look like someone just left it there.

But overall it looks professional, the touch sensitivity is impressive and makes it feel quite sophisticated.

I've put a test charge through and it appears to have worked just fine.
    You mean consumers were saying they wouldn't mind paying a bit extra to pay by card? That's good to know. I've had to do it myself before too and although I would have preferred not to, it's understandable why some businesses would request it. Personally, there's no real need to pay me by card so if anyone was to pay me by card, it would be out of urgency to book something, or if they had no alternative and in these cases I'd have no problem asking for the fee to be paid by them. I can wait for an alternative if there's enough time to wait and I don't give the option of card payment ever, but it's nice to know I'll have it now if I learn that I'm going to lose a job because of not being able to accept card payment.

I think he was saying that customers aren't happy to pay - they grudgingly pay when they have to. I agree, I think it comes across badly to pass these charges on to the customer, where they could/should just be worked in to the overall price.

Yeh people seemed to not mind. I think its fair enough to charge on low value transactions I mean if its costing 40c-50c to take card and people are looking to pay for something that is €2-€3 etc then thats just a ridiculous cost to take the payment I think people would be a little less willing to pay the extra if they were buying something for €50 though. It would also depend on the industry I would imagine the shops that charge for phone top ups see a good bit less business done on those than the nearby shops that don't charge.

Cianos wrote: »
    Got the card reader today and have tested it out - seems to work quite nicely. It's nice and neat, and with Bluetooth it's handy to not have wires going everywhere.

My only gripe would be that it's a bit of an odd shape - I'd like to be able to mount it so that it looks like it's supposed to be on the counter. Currently with its odd shape it would look like someone just left it there.

But overall it looks professional, the touch sensitivity is impressive and makes it feel quite sophisticated.

I've put a test charge through and it appears to have worked just fine.

On Facebook a couple of people have said its actually too sensitive and that they are finding people are pressing buttons when they are being handed the device and therefor entering the pin wrong. Will hopefully be getting mine soon the device I have currently is already pretty small (about 4/5ths the dimensions of my phone just a good bit thicker!) and people already comment about how small and light it is it'll be interesting to see what people make of a device that is smaller than the card they are using!

jimmii wrote: »
    On Facebook a couple of people have said its actually too sensitive and that they are finding people are pressing buttons when they are being handed the device and therefor entering the pin wrong. Will hopefully be getting mine soon the device I have currently is already pretty small (about 4/5ths the dimensions of my phone just a good bit thicker!) and people already comment about how small and light it is it'll be interesting to see what people make of a device that is smaller than the card they are using!

Interesting. Another reason to get a mount for it so, so that they don't have to handle the device directly itself and accidentally touch buttons from wrapping their fingers around it, which they'd inevitably do because of its small size.

• Advertisement

Cianos wrote: »
    Interesting. Another reason to get a mount for it so, so that they don't have to handle the device directly itself and accidentally touch buttons from wrapping their fingers around it, which they'd inevitably do because of its small size.

Definitely would be handy to have a mount the main person saying it was a taxi driver though so not really an option for them! The unit we currently have I was thinking about making a mount for it but never really got round to it! For the sum up device it seems it might be tricky to make a DIY mount as there looks to be very little space between the edge of the device and where the card slots in. I guess you could have an arm that just sticks to the back and holds it in place charging it might then prove a little difficult though.

Advertisement