Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SumUp Credit Card Processing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

granadamad wrote: »
    Hi,

does sumup allow you to take card details from a customer over the phone and process them on the terminal or on their site? I am looking for a cheaper alternative to AIB merchant services 2.75% plus monthly fee

Thanks

Used to be able to but not any more which is annoying as it was one of the reasons I got it. I only use it for low value transactions now. Stopped allowing it about a week after I got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭granadamad

jimmii wrote: »
    Used to be able to but not any more which is annoying as it was one of the reasons I got it. I only use it for low value transactions now. Stopped allowing it about a week after I got it.

Thanks,
    I wonder is this a fault with yours or is it something they had to stop allowing? How used it work anyway? You would key in the card details on the terminal or on your pc?

granadamad wrote: »
    Thanks,
    I wonder is this a fault with yours or is it something they had to stop allowing? How used it work anyway? You would key in the card details on the terminal or on your pc?

No its just the way they have gone with it. It wasn't something they intended but there was basically a work around you could use to send the payment request through to your phone and then get them to tell you their card details which you enter into the link it sends. It wasn't intended to be used like that which I why I guess they stopped allowing it soon after they launched the pin+ device.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I haven't used mine at all yet:o Would have used it had they the mobile/over the phone payment option though! Wish they brought it back :(

cormie wrote: »
    I haven't used mine at all yet:o Would have used it had they the mobile/over the phone payment option though! Wish they brought it back :(

Yeh its annoying alright. Its expensive for high value transactions too our transactions range from a couple of euro up to a couple of hundred but we only use it for <€25 transactions higher than that and its just too expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭skibum

Yeh its annoying alright. Its expensive for high value transactions too our transactions range from a couple of euro up to a couple of hundred but we only use it for <€25 transactions higher than that and its just too expensive.

I'm in the process of setting up my own business where I will need to occasionally accept credit card payments (average transaction will be between €60 to €140) I was recommended to use SumUp, cost's looked ok until I read your post, what would you recommend?
    Thanks

skibum wrote: »
    I'm in the process of setting up my own business where I will need to occasionally accept credit card payments (average transaction will be between €60 to €140) I was recommended to use SumUp, cost's looked ok until I read your post, what would you recommend?
    Thanks

It would depend on how many transactions it was as to whether or not it would justify paying a monthly charge and getting a lower rate. If it's one or two a month then sumup would definitely be the cheapest option if its one or two a day then its probably worth looking around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭skibum

It would depend on how many transactions it was as to whether or not it would justify paying a monthly charge and getting a lower rate. If it's one or two a month then sumup would definitely be the cheapest option if its one or two a day then its probably worth looking around.
    Thanks for the fast response, initially it will probably be a couple of transactions per week, (as I think most will be cash and cheques), hopefully increasing over time. What other options would you recommend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

https://www.izettle.com/blog/111264793941/say-hello-to-card-reader-lite

Depending on how much you need to turnover to get the 1.5% rate that could be a good option! The device doesn't look great though and having to have it connected isn't ideal nice addition to the space though.

• Advertisement

skibum wrote: »
    Thanks for the fast response, initially it will probably be a couple of transactions per week, (as I think most will be cash and cheques), hopefully increasing over time. What other options would you recommend?

For a couple a week I would think start off with sumup as that will only cost around €20 a month and most low rate companies charge closer to that a month before you take any payments! Then as things grow look at different options and you will still have the sumup device as back up which is always handy to have.

Dave! wrote: »

I wonder are mobile (customer not present) payments possible with this?

I wonder are mobile (customer not present) payments possible with this?

I would think not. Have you looked at stripe for that? Have started using that for not present payments.

I might have to alright, I was under the impression you had to httpS your site to use it, but if there's a gateway that can be used without doing this that I can just input details into myself over the phone I might sign up for that then. Hate having multi accounts that do pretty much the same thing, would be great if sumup just (re)added the feature, even at a slightly higher %. I still haven't used the sum up device at all since I got it :o

I might have to alright, I was under the impression you had to httpS your site to use it, but if there's a gateway that can be used without doing this that I can just input details into myself over the phone I might sign up for that then. Hate having multi accounts that do pretty much the same thing, would be great if sumup just (re)added the feature, even at a slightly higher %. I still haven't used the sum up device at all since I got it :o

Yeh would be nice if they did it would be cheaper too! No need to do anything on your own site just log in to your dashboard on their site and click create payment and enter the card details.

Cool thanks, guess I'll have to go set up another account so :)

Cool thanks, guess I'll have to go set up another account so :)

The ID verification is pretty cool you just hold your passport up to the camera on your computer.

Had to do a similar thing with signing up to AirBnB, very impressive online tools they use to check these things :)

Just seen this. Think its love at first sight! Hope it becomes available here.

That looks sweet, I don't see any mention of customer not present sales though?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭AndersLimpar

I use this - atl-photography.com/make-payment - to make customer not present sales. I send them this link also so they can do it themselves as well!

It's through Stripe and the interface is a wordpress plugin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭AndersLimpar

I use this - ww.atl-photography.com/make-payment - to make customer not present sales. I send them this link also so they can do it themselves as well! (you need to add another w to the url as I'm a new user :)

It's through Stripe and the interface is a wordpress plugin.

That looks sweet, I don't see any mention of customer not present sales though?

No I think this will be one for the shopkeepers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Ill be using Sumup for the first time at an exhibition/show on Saturday, so Ill report back how it goes :)

Kersh wrote: »
    Ill be using Sumup for the first time at an exhibition/show on Saturday, so Ill report back how it goes :)

Make sure to take extra batteries the pair that came from mine went the same day! You might find customers find it a touch too small and very sensitive other than that its a great system. Hopefully you don't get there and find the network sucks!

Thanks Jimmii, never thought of extra batteries :eek:

I have a mobile router/internet stick thing which often get me out of trouble, so hopefully it will all work.

Yes, the touchpad thing seems very sensitive, i made a bags of the test/initiation transaction when I hovered my finger over it!

And you will find sometimes when you press the yellow back button it will enter a digit too! If someone presses the red button the cancel the device will turn off and you need to start again. Have you sent in your proof of address etc? Have you sent off proof of address for yourself? At first it said my account was verified but that was only up to €5k you need to send proof of address for over that if you haven't done that you might need to have a back up plan if its busy!

Well, it ran absolutely faultlessly :)

Some of the other guys with stands were asking about it too, and were pretty impressed by it.

Kersh wrote: »
    Well, it ran absolutely faultlessly :)

Some of the other guys with stands were asking about it too, and were pretty impressed by it.

Yeh it tends to get a good response! I've had a couple of people in from other processors who had a real good look at it and one guy who used to work for SumUp who was very impressed with what they had done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Can anyone that is using Sumup confirm you need the pin reader to accept the CC payment over the phone or can you just input the CC details to your Sumup account which then sends the CC owner a notification they have paid X

Is Sumup the only real alternative at the moment for taking CC payments if your CC sales is quite low. Thanks

Advertisement